View Poll Results: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

Voters
294. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 9.52%
  • No

    190 64.63%
  • Other

    76 25.85%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 112

Thread: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

  1. #81
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Cool, and if I dont know the property owner's wishes, I do what I want. I most certainly never assume a person hates Christians, gays, guns, etc.
    You are confusing a business owner's inability to discriminate on the basis of a protected group with your inability to practice whatever amendment freedom you feel like on private property.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    If it's a business, again, they arent responsible for my right to life...*I am*. And unless they are planning on guaranteeing it, I will exercise my right *privately*. Let's face it, if they have security, it's to protect them and *their property.* Not my life.
    If a business forbids weapons, distributing poltical fliers etc then I do not do those things at that business, or I simply dont enter it. This is for two reasons:

    A- I respect the property rights of others as a philosophy
    B- Practical- I know that some owners take property rights very seriously. A hypothetical, a gun banning owner would be unlikely my cocnealed weapon, but it could happen. I dont want to be caught in an escalating situation that I could have avoided had I just stayed off the property in question. Win or lose, I could still lose in the end.

  2. #82
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,876

    Re: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    You are confusing a business owner's inability to discriminate on the basis of a protected group with your inability to practice whatever amendment freedom you feel like on private property.


    If a business forbids weapons, distributing poltical fliers etc then I do not do those things at that business, or I simply dont enter it. This is for two reasons:

    A- I respect the property rights of others as a philosophy
    B- Practical- I know that some owners take property rights very seriously. A hypothetical, a gun banning owner would be unlikely my cocnealed weapon, but it could happen. I dont want to be caught in an escalating situation that I could have avoided had I just stayed off the property in question. Win or lose, I could still lose in the end.
    No, not really, regarding discrimination. It was more about opinions and beliefs than group. It seemed like an easier example to understand. It was more about the FIrst Amendment....and if he or she was completely against my political leanings for instance. Or my position on abortion, things like that. They dont know unless I tell them.

    I take property rights seriously...do they take my right to life and safety (pursuit of happiness) just as seriously?

    Edit: I'm being a bit contentious, yes, but please dont take it personally. It's a topic I like to explore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #83
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    So I am carrying my First Amendment rights with me at all time. If I exercise them, and you dont like what I say, you can ask me to leave. However you have no idea what my opinion is on any issue until I express it. Same with my religion. I am a Christian....if you object to Christians in your home, and dont know I'm a Christian....I am still exercising my right to practice my religious beliefs....but if you see my cross necklace and object, you can ask me to leave.

    Same thing if I am concealing my firearm. If you learn, somehow, that I am carrying it, you can ask me to leave. And I would. My firearm is no different than my 'beliefs'
    when we look at rights, we have to use basic common sense

    you have no exerciseable rights on my property, 99.9% of the time i would not care what you do own their property.....<---------common sense.

    however you have no right to carry a firearm on my property, pray, [meaning to perform some kind of ceremony] protest on my property , say bad things about me of others on my property.

    if you do things i dont like i ask you to leave, if you refuse i call the law and they arrest you........i cannot touch you to enforce my property unless you pose a threat to me or others.

  4. #84
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Liberty is exercisable and the various levels of govt can remove it for cause and do so all the time.
    rights can be infringed for a person, when they violate the rights of other people or threaten the health and saftey of the public.

    but the"right itself" for the people cannot be infringed.

  5. #85
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,876

    Re: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    when we look at rights, we have to use basic common sense

    you have no exerciseable rights on my property, 99.9% of the time i would not care what you do own their property.....<---------common sense.

    however you have no right to carry a firearm on my property, pray, [meaning to perform some kind of ceremony] protest on my property , say bad things about me of others on my property.

    if you do things i dont like i ask you to leave, if you refuse i call the law and they arrest you........i cannot touch you to enforce my property unless you pose a threat to me or others.
    Absolutely I recognize your right to ask me to leave. And I would. However I would still have my opinions, political leanings, gun, and religious beliefs with me up to that point.

    Of course, I'd do that if someone didnt like the color of my socks too. Because unless it's discrimination, for the most part if someone asks you to leave their property or business, you have to or it's trespassing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #86
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Slightly tangential...is that your personal choice on your property?
    when property belongs to me, i make the descions about it unless, ..again it violaltes the rights of others or threaten the health and safety of the public......because without doing those 2 two things government has no authoirty to act.

  7. #87
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,876

    Re: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    rights can be infringed for a person, when they violate the rights of other people or threaten the health and saftey of the public.

    but the"right itself" for the people cannot be infringed.
    I dont understand your distinction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #88
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,876

    Re: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    when property belongs to me, i make the descions about it unless, ..again it violaltes the rights of others or threaten the health and safety of the public......because without doing those 2 two things government has no authoirty to act.
    Perhaps I wasnt direct enough (not usually a problem I have however).

    Do you allow people carrying firearms on your property?

    If not, what do you do to prevent it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #89
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I dont understand your distinction.
    we the people have say a right to bear a firearm, however a individual citizn can have that right infringed upon becase he broke the law.

    but the right itself, meaning that for every citizen as whole, cannot be infringed upon by government.....meaning the government cannot take away a right from the public.

    governments duty is to secure rights...thats it only purpose, if a person is not violating the rights of another person or threaten the health and safety of the public, then by what authoirty does government have to act since there is no victim.

  10. #90
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Perhaps I wasnt direct enough (not usually a problem I have however).

    Do you allow people carrying firearms on your property?

    If not, what do you do to prevent it?
    if i didnt want you to carry on my property i would ask you to leave my property...if you refuse i call the law.

    Government is to secure rights, it cannot prevent some rights violations from happening, but it can others by regulations.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •