View Poll Results: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

Voters
294. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 9.52%
  • No

    190 64.63%
  • Other

    76 25.85%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 112

Thread: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

  1. #31
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,393

    Re: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

    Ha, what do you know here is an article actually talking about the story I was referring too:

    https://personalliberty.com/senate-b...ivers-license/

    You may recall the case of Shaneen Allen, a woman from Pennsylvania who was stopped for a lane-change violation in New Jersey — only to end up facing 10 years in prison, all because she told the police at the scene about the pistol she carried in her purse and showed them her Pennsylvania carry license. Allen was on her way to a kid’s birthday party in New Jersey. A mother of two, she’d been robbed twice in the past before determining that getting herself a firearm and learning how to use it was probably a smart idea. Like more than a dozen other states, New Jersey doesn’t recognize other states’ concealed carry laws, even for people just passing through. Atlantic County, N.J., prosecutor Jim McClain — “the same prosecutor who let Ray Rice off with pretrial diversion” — allowed the case to build toward a trial and had remained adamant that Allen would face a count of illegal possession of a firearm and another count for possession of illegal ammunition. Helped along by some public shaming, he finally reversed himself last September, allowing Allen to instead enter into a pretrial diversion program.

    Fast-forward to now: A Senate Republican has introduced a reciprocity bill that would impose on every state a legal obligation to recognize the concealed carry permits of travelers hailing from any other state where they obtained their concealed carry permits.The so-called Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act (CCCRA), according to Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), the bill’s sponsor, is intended specifically to “eliminate some of the ‘gotcha moments,’ where people inadvertently cross state lines” without realizing that doing so can automatically make them a potential criminal. “This operates more or less like a driver’s license,” Cornyn told The Hill. “So, for example, if you have a driver’s license in Texas, you can drive in New York, in Utah and other places, subject to the laws of those states.” Cornyn sponsored a similar bill in 2013, and it fell only three votes short of passing the then-Democratic-controlled Senate.

    I hope it passes!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajn678 View Post
    there is no such thing as an abortion on a dead fetus.

  2. #32
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

    Even though I don't think either the Federal government or the State governments have the lawful authority to require a license to carry, I voted Yes-- because national recognition of all concealed carry licenses is a damn sight better than the inexcusable mess we have now.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,874

    Re: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

    No but other states should recognize each other's permits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,874

    Re: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    I don't think a permit should be required at all.
    ^5

    If you can legally own a gun, why cant you legally carry it (concealed or openly?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #35
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,177

    Re: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post

    Please save any opinions on outlawing guns etc I'm just looking for views on this one aspect.

    These types of laws violate the constitution IMO and many have ruined peoples lives or come damn close. One story that comes to mine was a PA resident (a mother of two who had been robbed a couple times) that went to NJ for a kids birthday party. She was pulled over for a lane change violation and stated she had a gun in her purse and her carry permit. Being that NJ doesnt have reciprocity laws that recognize PA's carry permit she faced felony charges and 10 years in prison! Thats crap any way you slice it.

    This is something that needs fixed now. Its a shame that fighting against gun laws that violate rights isnt as easy as fighting against other unconstitutional laws because many of the gun laws make you a felon.
    One should not need a license/permit to exercise their 2nd amendment rights.Last I checked it was the bill of rights not the bill privileges. At the same time I support national reciprocity for carrying firearms.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #36
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,393

    Re: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    No but other states should recognize each other's permits.
    thats what this bill does
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajn678 View Post
    there is no such thing as an abortion on a dead fetus.

  7. #37
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,195

    Re: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

    Much like I think a marriage liscence granted in one state should be respected and treated as legitimate in another state, regardless of the second states stance on whether or not they would've issued said liscence, I would think the same thing here.

    If the state in question ALLOWS concealed carry in any fashion, I would think that it should respect the concealed carry liscenses of any other state.

    If it simply does not allow concealed carry in any fashin, then I'd be more open to allowing them to not accept concealed carry liscenses from other states.

    You would be subject to utilizing that liscense in accordance with the laws in that state, but you should be treated as having said liscense.

    If Maryland has a harder test to get a driver's liscense than Virginia, that doesn't mean I can't drive in maryland with my virginia driver's liscense. The state of Maryland still must respect that I am liscensed to drive in Virginia, and thus I am liscensed to drive in their state as well. However, I must adhere to their rules and regulations regarding driving on their roads, and if I'm ignorant of those laws and run afoul of them then that's my own fault.

    Similarly, if it's easier to be liscensed to conceal carry in Virginia then it is in Maryland, that's too bad. Maryland should respect my concealed carry liscense if they offer one as well. HOWEVER, if I'm concealed carrying in maryland I need to be doing so in accordance with their laws and regulations. And ignorance of said laws isn't an excuse.

  8. #38
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-26-17 @ 12:12 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

    That is a VERY dangerous concept and no, I do NOT want a national gun license - because that then also will become more national gun restrictions.

    Do you REALLY want New Jersey politicians having ANY say over YOUR gun rights? Yet with a national law, that is exactly what happens.

  9. #39
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,393

    Re: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    That is a VERY dangerous concept and no, I do NOT want a national gun license - because that then also will become more national gun restrictions.

    Do you REALLY want New Jersey politicians having ANY say over YOUR gun rights? Yet with a national law, that is exactly what happens.
    try reading the OP, articles (links) and bill again
    nobody is talking about a national gun license, thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajn678 View Post
    there is no such thing as an abortion on a dead fetus.

  10. #40
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    77,877

    Re: Do you think a concealed carry license should be national like a drivers license?

    No, I do not, because I don't believe we should have to have a permit to carry a gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •