View Poll Results: Should Undocumented Immigrants Be Eligible For Emergency Benefits?

Voters
513. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    234 45.61%
  • Yes, in fact I'm cool with giving them all medical benefits.

    260 50.68%
  • No.

    9 1.75%
  • Hell no.

    10 1.95%
  • I'm on the fence...

    0 0%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 67

Thread: Emergency Benefits For Undocumented Immigrants

  1. #31
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Emergency Benefits For Undocumented Immigrants

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    Does this help? Pg 1
    https://www.aclu.org/files/assets/FI...IC_VERSION.pdf
    Entering the United States without being inspected and admitted,
    i.e.,
    illegal entry, is a misdemeanor or can be a felony, depending on the circumstances.
    8 U.S.C. 1325
    . But many undocumented immigrants do not enter the United States illegally. They enter legally but
    overstay, work without authorization
    , drop out of school or violate the conditions of their visasin some other way. Current estimates are that approximately 45% of undocumented
    immigrants did not enter illegally. SeePew Hispanic Center,
    Modes of Entry for the Unauthorized Migrant Population
    [May 22, 2006]

    If You're Detained For Illegal Reentry to the U.S. - AllLaw.com
    i think this one maybe better., because it breaks it down into a better understanding because it cover a wide range of things.

    The Myth of the
    Last edited by Master PO; 02-14-15 at 02:20 PM.

  2. #32
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Emergency Benefits For Undocumented Immigrants

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    an illegal alien is a person who enters the US by subverting the immigration laws, and it is a felony.

    people who travel to america on a work visa, or other US document, and over stay their welcome here is not a felony, however it is unlawful.
    Wrong. The term illegal alien includes people who entered the country legally on a visa and then stayed after the visa expired which is not a crime

    http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Inter...volving-Aliens

    Improper entry is a misdemeanor
    http://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/201...-presence.html

    It is only a felony if someone tries to re-enter the country after being:
    Denied admission to the U.S.;
    Excluded from the U.S.;
    Deported from the U.S.;
    Removed from the U.S.; or
    Departed from the U.S. while an order of exclusion, deportation, or removal is outstanding.
    - See more at: http://immigration.findlaw.com/depor....X5KBtoFo.dpuf
    Last edited by sangha; 02-14-15 at 02:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #33
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Emergency Benefits For Undocumented Immigrants

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    reading US law can be long and slow, but i am going on memory, a person who is not an american is an alien, and those who seek to enter without proper documents are illegal aliens, all other aliens that enter on government documents, are classified as "non-immigrant"
    Wrong. Many illegal aliens are people who entered lawfully on a visa and overstayed. People who are here lawfully but are not citizens can be Lawfully Permanent Residents (LPR's)
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #34
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Emergency Benefits For Undocumented Immigrants

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Wrong. Many illegal aliens are people who entered lawfully on a visa and overstayed. People who are here lawfully but are not citizens can be Lawfully Permanent Residents (LPR's)
    you have stated i am wrong, and provided your own words.

    what is the document you are using for the words.....

    mine the the 1924 immigration law.......
    Last edited by Master PO; 02-14-15 at 03:24 PM.

  5. #35
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Emergency Benefits For Undocumented Immigrants

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Wrong. Many illegal aliens are people who entered lawfully on a visa and overstayed. People who are here lawfully but are not citizens can be Lawfully Permanent Residents (LPR's)
    if you enter lawfully [visa/ work permit]..., you are a "non immigrant"..because the intent of expiration is to return to place of origin.

    if you enter "illegally", you are an "illegal alien".....since you are not a citizen.
    Last edited by Master PO; 02-14-15 at 03:20 PM.

  6. #36
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Emergency Benefits For Undocumented Immigrants

    Oh.. my.. effing.. God! From pretty much post #2 this thread has been nothing but intentional obtuseness and juvenile arguing of semantics. The question posed by the OP is a legit question. Any mature adult could've easily understood the intent of the question. Is it really that hard to give a legit answer?

    Anyway, to deny person treatment is cold hearted. If that's how you feel then you suck as a member of the human species.

    Even if we don't "owe" them anything, it's simply beyond selfish to deny necessary treatment. One person did make a point about stabilizing then deporting, and as stated I'm fine with that, but I sense that poster was thinking in M*A*S*H-like terms where you do some "meatball surgery" and send 'em out. That's a bit too extreme. Having said that, we wouldn't need to ensure a full recovery, either. There should be a happy-medium someplace.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,805

    Re: Emergency Benefits For Undocumented Immigrants

    Yes, but only if, following stabilization and treatment, they are given a quick trip back across the border. Saving their lives is one thing, they are still here illegally and need to be deported.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #38
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Emergency Benefits For Undocumented Immigrants

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    you have stated i am wrong, and provided your own words.

    what is the document you are using for the words.....

    mine the the 1924 immigration law.......
    Here

    Immigration Terms and Definitions Involving Aliens

    Illegal Reentry into the U.S. After Removal: Crime and Punishment - FindLaw

    Is Illegal Immigration a Crime? Improper Entry v. Unlawful Presence - FindLaw Blotter

    Consequences of Overstaying on a Temporary U.S. Visa - AllLaw.com
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #39
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Emergency Benefits For Undocumented Immigrants

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    if you enter lawfully [visa/ work permit]..., you are a "non immigrant"..because the intent of expiration is to return to place of origin.
    Correct, if you enter lawfully on a work permit, you are a non-immigrant. However, there are people who enter lawfully on a visa with the intention (and assumption) of eventually becoming citizens. Those are Lawfully Permanent Residents. They are not citizens but they are not expected to leave. They are immigrants, not "non-immigrants"

    if you enter "illegally", you are an "illegal alien".....since you are not a citizen.
    Yes, if you enter illegally, you are an illegal alien. But there's another group of illegal aliens - those who overstay on visas.

    Your definitions are bit inaccurate and I am pointing out the deficiencies in your explanations. With both legal and illegal immigrants, you left out some people. In the first case, you left out those who are expected to remain here without any overstaying of their visas and with the latter, you left out those who overstay.

    Also, you misrepresented the legal status of these people. They are not felons for simply overstaying a visa or crossing into the country illegally. Overstaying isn't a crime (though it is a deportable action) and crossing the border is not a felony, it's a misdemeanor. It's only a felony if you have previously been subjected to the removal process and ordered to not return.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #40
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Emergency Benefits For Undocumented Immigrants


    what is the point?

    anyone who is not a born US citizen, or naturalized citizen, is an alien.

    anyone who enters the US, though non-check points, walking, a boat or plane... is an illegal alien.

    anyone who visits the US, for work or pleasure via the law, is a "non immigrant", because of the time they are allowed to stay.

    no one can be an immigrant, knowing they have a time constrain on their visa /work permit.

    There are different categories of aliens, resident and nonresident, immigrant and nonimmigrant, asylee and refugee, documented and undocumented ("illegal").

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •