View Poll Results: Does Jeb Bush Have a Schiavo Problem?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • This will be a huge problem for Jeb Bush

    250 93.28%
  • This will be bump on the road to the presidency

    6 2.24%
  • This is no biggie

    10 3.73%
  • Other

    2 0.75%
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
Results 231 to 240 of 240

Thread: Does Jeb Bush have a Terri Schiavo Problem?

  1. #231
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: Does Jeb Bush have a Terri Schiavo Problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    It demonstrates the problem the modern GOP has. Jeb is perceived as a "liberal" Republican (ie RINO) simply because he doesn't compare homosexuals to pedophiles and immigrants to rabid disease infected animals. If a republican doesn't make wingnutty comments on a regular basis, they lose the "base" and if they do, they lose everyone else.
    Yep, flog the culture war whipping post or your a RINO.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #232
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Does Jeb Bush have a Terri Schiavo Problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    What is Jeb socially liberal on? He is strongly pro-life. He is anti-same sex marriage. Hell back when he first ran for governor he said LGBT protections were "tantamount to elevating sodomy." He is pro war on drugs. He is anti-hate crimes. The only social issue you can describe him as even moderate on is immigration. Jeb is the kind of Republican that is fairly moderate in his tone but is just as conservative on social issues as the typical Republican is.
    You shouldn't repeat what you read on left wing websites, and you shouldn't move quotation marks to suit your purposes. He said no such thing. If you would like to know what he actually said, you can read it below.

    The Miami Herald
    June 22, 1994 — Wednesday

    JEB BUSH: NO SPECIAL LEGAL STATUS FOR GAYS

    Re the June 20 Herald editorial Bigotry and its mouthpieces about the gubernatorial candidates’ position on homosexuality and special legal rights for homosexuals: Homosexuality is wrong, but it is also wrong to discriminate against homosexuals in employment, housing, etc., solely on the basis of sexual preference. I have employed homosexuals and continue to do so. Therefore, I take vigorous exception to your characterization of me as a bigot.

    However, I do not believe that government should create a new class of citizens with special legal rights.

    It is disingenuous of you to write that “the governor must stand up for and represent all the people of the Sunshine State on all matters.” You imply that discrimination is always wrong, yet government and individual Floridians discriminate every day in innumerable ways. Government discriminates against bank robbers, drug dealers, litterbugs, and homeowners who repair their seawall without a permit, just to name a few. Yours is not a reasoned argument reflecting reality.

    The governor — and the government — do not defend the conduct of every Floridian with equal verve and enthusiasm. Polluters, pedophiles, pornographers, drunk drivers, and developers without proper permits receive — and deserve — precious little representation or defense from their governor. The statement that the governor must stand up for all people on all matters is just silly.

    The public policy question is whether homosexuals deserve special legal protection from otherwise legal, private acts of discrimination, which protections are not available to smokers, drinkers, children, redheads, Midwesterners, Democrats, veterans, nudists, etc. Or, to put it another way, should sodomy be elevated to the same constitutional status as race and religion? My answer is No. We have enough special categories, enough victims, without creating even more.

    Jeb Bush


    http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczyn...as#.laQDjzN5BO
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #233
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: Does Jeb Bush have a Terri Schiavo Problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    You shouldn't repeat what you read on left wing websites, and you shouldn't move quotation marks to suit your purposes. He said no such thing. If you would like to know what he actually said, you can read it below.

    The Miami Herald
    June 22, 1994 — Wednesday

    JEB BUSH: NO SPECIAL LEGAL STATUS FOR GAYS

    Re the June 20 Herald editorial Bigotry and its mouthpieces about the gubernatorial candidates’ position on homosexuality and special legal rights for homosexuals: Homosexuality is wrong, but it is also wrong to discriminate against homosexuals in employment, housing, etc., solely on the basis of sexual preference. I have employed homosexuals and continue to do so. Therefore, I take vigorous exception to your characterization of me as a bigot.

    However, I do not believe that government should create a new class of citizens with special legal rights.

    It is disingenuous of you to write that “the governor must stand up for and represent all the people of the Sunshine State on all matters.” You imply that discrimination is always wrong, yet government and individual Floridians discriminate every day in innumerable ways. Government discriminates against bank robbers, drug dealers, litterbugs, and homeowners who repair their seawall without a permit, just to name a few. Yours is not a reasoned argument reflecting reality.

    The governor — and the government — do not defend the conduct of every Floridian with equal verve and enthusiasm. Polluters, pedophiles, pornographers, drunk drivers, and developers without proper permits receive — and deserve — precious little representation or defense from their governor. The statement that the governor must stand up for all people on all matters is just silly.

    The public policy question is whether homosexuals deserve special legal protection from otherwise legal, private acts of discrimination, which protections are not available to smokers, drinkers, children, redheads, Midwesterners, Democrats, veterans, nudists, etc. Or, to put it another way, should sodomy be elevated to the same constitutional status as race and religion? My answer is No. We have enough special categories, enough victims, without creating even more.

    Jeb Bush


    http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczyn...as#.laQDjzN5BO
    How on earth is that any better? That may as well be a press release from a Religious Right organization.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  4. #234
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Does Jeb Bush have a Terri Schiavo Problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    How on earth is that any better? That may as well be a press release from a Religious Right organization.
    Thank you for acknowledging that he never said what you claimed he did.

    My suggestion is that you don't vote for him in the primary and he won't ever get the nomination.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #235
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Does Jeb Bush have a Terri Schiavo Problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    It demonstrates the problem the modern GOP has. Jeb is perceived as a "liberal" Republican (ie RINO) simply because he doesn't compare homosexuals to pedophiles and immigrants to rabid disease infected animals. If a republican doesn't make wingnutty comments on a regular basis, they lose the "base" and if they do, they lose everyone else.
    Both parties suffer from this, though the Reps suffer from it more, at least the last dozen or so years. Hence the need for candidates to "run to the right/left" during the primaries just so they can get nominated, then "run to the middle" during the general election so they can get elected.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #236
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: Does Jeb Bush have a Terri Schiavo Problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The polls say differently. I believe she will run on a platform similar to her husbands who will help immensely in her election. The fact that Bill will be in the Whitehouse with her will help with those that are still weak kneed about a female leader. Meanwhile Jeb will run as GW II. I wouldn't rule out GW even campaigning with him. Jeb is his brothers biggest cheerleader.
    You mean Hillary is going to run on Gingrich's Contract with America, welfare reform, and hope for a tech bubble too?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #237
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Does Jeb Bush have a Terri Schiavo Problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Both parties suffer from this, though the Reps suffer from it more, at least the last dozen or so years. Hence the need for candidates to "run to the right/left" during the primaries just so they can get nominated, then "run to the middle" during the general election so they can get elected.
    Yes, in fact *all* parties have such a problem. There's always conflict between the hard-core and the more moderate factions. But lately, the GOP is in danger of splitting over the differences, and even if they don't (and they probably will not ever split) there's a good chance that enough f them to throw the election will stay home on election day.

    IOW, there's similarities but they're not the same and the differences are significant. You're not going to hear any Dem primary candidates say things like "We have to disband the DoD" or "We have to ban all guns", or "We have to nationalize oil companies/banks/etc" just to please the more extreme factions within the DNC
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #238
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Does Jeb Bush have a Terri Schiavo Problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Yes, in fact *all* parties have such a problem. There's always conflict between the hard-core and the more moderate factions. But lately, the GOP is in danger of splitting over the differences, and even if they don't (and they probably will not ever split) there's a good chance that enough f them to throw the election will stay home on election day.

    IOW, there's similarities but they're not the same and the differences are significant. You're not going to hear any Dem primary candidates say things like "We have to disband the DoD" or "We have to ban all guns", or "We have to nationalize oil companies/banks/etc" just to please the more extreme factions within the DNC
    Right. There are ebbs and flows for each party over time, but lately the Reps seem to be at a critical juncture. They seem to be bent on purposely magnifying this. I feel like that if they do lose the Presidency in 2016 it'll be their own fault.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #239
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Does Jeb Bush have a Terri Schiavo Problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Right. There are ebbs and flows for each party over time, but lately the Reps seem to be at a critical juncture. They seem to be bent on purposely magnifying this. I feel like that if they do lose the Presidency in 2016 it'll be their own fault.
    Yes, that is my point

    With an incumbent president with somewhat low approval #'s, and the cyclical voter fatigue with the party in power, an "establishment Republican" who doesn't have a reputation for wingnuttery should have an excellent chance at winning and in most situations, would very likely win. But because such a large portion of potential republican voters are both extreme in their views and so unwilling to compromise, the possibility of Jeb winning are called into question.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #240
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does Jeb Bush have a Terri Schiavo Problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Oh, Yes, this little story is sure to come back and bite his ass.

    Don’t trust Jeb Bush with the power of the presidency

    I was disappointed by Michael Putney’s Feb. 6 Other Views column about the legacy of Jeb Bush (First round goes to Jeb, Feb. 4). Putney writes that it was “doctrinaire liberals” who opposed Bush’s involvement in the tragic case of Terri Schiavo — my then-wife.

    Who is Putney referring to as the “doctrinaire liberals” who were horrified by the former governor’s intervention in my family’s trauma? The Republican Attorney General Charlie Crist, who refused to take up the governor’s crusade? Republican Senate President Jim King, who fought Bush on passage of “Terri’s Law?” Pinellas County Judge George Greer, a Republican and Southern Baptist, who looked at the evidence of my wife’s case before having his rulings tossed aside by a governor who never met her?


    Does he mean me, a registered Republican?


    The truth about Jeb Bush is that he used my wife for his own personal political gain. You don’t have to be a doctrinaire liberal to be angry about that. In fact many conservatives were also horrified by Bush’s zealous intervention.


    Read more here: Don’t trust Jeb Bush with the power of the presidency
    Jen Bush acted cowardly by backing down.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •