View Poll Results: Are negative campaign ads effective with YOU?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Negative campaign ads can cause me to vote against the candidate negatively portrayed

    0 0%
  • No. Negative campaign ads cannot cause me to vote against the candidate portrayed.

    11 10.58%
  • I vote against the candidate running negative campaign ads.

    87 83.65%
  • I am only affected by negative campaign ads if they are comeplely honest.

    6 5.77%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Do negative campaign ads work with YOU?

  1. #11
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Do negative campaign ads work with YOU?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Maybe I'm different but negative campaign ads bother me. Many are based in half truths and deception and in those cases I'm actually offended concluding the candidate running them thinks I'm too stupid to spot dishonesty when directed at me. I realize there are strong supporters of any candidate or party and I understand those people cheer the negative campaign ads bashing their guy's opponents but I thought ads were designed to persuade undecided voters or get people to change their minds.

    There's a local ad running right now attempting to unseat an incumbent. The incumbent promised to not raise taxes. The ad claims he broke his pledge because taxes went up. Truth: the candidate did not raise taxes. They were based on property values and because property values went up, so did property taxes. If the cost of gas goes up, so will the embedded gas tax. This doesn't mean the government "raised" gas taxes.
    I detest half-truths and lies-by-omission more so than outright lies, and there have been times that I have been completely turned off to a candidate for running a single ad like that.

    Someone made the point that most people here tend to be already decided, and for the most part I think that's true. But I think they (negative ads) still affect us more than we are aware or are willing to admit. At the very least, they plant a seed of doubt.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #12
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Do negative campaign ads work with YOU?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I think they have campaign experts that have figured out they serve a purpose and work. How well, we can debate forever. But that fact that they exist, and have been used for hundred years proves they work. John Adams and Thomas Jefferson used them.
    That's the thing, marketing is pretty refined. If they didn't work they wouldn't be used.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #13
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Do negative campaign ads work with YOU?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Maybe I'm different but negative campaign ads bother me. Many are based in half truths and deception and in those cases I'm actually offended concluding the candidate running them thinks I'm too stupid to spot dishonesty when directed at me. I realize there are strong supporters of any candidate or party and I understand those people cheer the negative campaign ads bashing their guy's opponents but I thought ads were designed to persuade undecided voters or get people to change their minds.

    There's a local ad running right now attempting to unseat an incumbent. The incumbent promised to not raise taxes. The ad claims he broke his pledge because taxes went up. Truth: the candidate did not raise taxes. They were based on property values and because property values went up, so did property taxes. If the cost of gas goes up, so will the embedded gas tax. This doesn't mean the government "raised" gas taxes.
    No they don't sway me personally, and never have. Part of the reason for that is because I'm a senior manager in very high end sales. I never won a deal by disparaging my competition, nor do I allow my team to do it. We win because of our merits and what we bring to the table. That's the same reason I vote for candidates - because of what they bring, not because of how bad the other guy is.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  4. #14
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Do negative campaign ads work with YOU?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I think they have campaign experts that have figured out they serve a purpose and work. How well, we can debate forever. But that fact that they exist, and have been used for hundred years proves they work. John Adams and Thomas Jefferson used them.
    John Adams and Thomas Jefferson never had to deal with the internet, 24 hour news media, or an apathetic society though.

  5. #15
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Do negative campaign ads work with YOU?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    John Adams and Thomas Jefferson never had to deal with the internet, 24 hour news media, or an apathetic society though.
    They still did it though. Actually most citizens were reasonabley educated and middle class for the time.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #16
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Do negative campaign ads work with YOU?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    They still did it though. Actually most citizens were reasonabley educated and middle class for the time.
    But my point is that what worked for them in the early 1800's, wouldn't fly in the 21st Century because out culture and technology has evolved so far since then. Plus, as I recall, there negative ads weren't so much saying "this guy supports gun control" and more "he's a guy that sleeps with witches and eats babies" sorts of ****.

  7. #17
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Do negative campaign ads work with YOU?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    But my point is that what worked for them in the early 1800's, wouldn't fly in the 21st Century because out culture and technology has evolved so far since then. Plus, as I recall, there negative ads weren't so much saying "this guy supports gun control" and more "he's a guy that sleeps with witches and eats babies" sorts of ****.
    Whatever.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #18
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Do negative campaign ads work with YOU?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    But my point is that what worked for them in the early 1800's, wouldn't fly in the 21st Century because out culture and technology has evolved so far since then. Plus, as I recall, there negative ads weren't so much saying "this guy supports gun control" and more "he's a guy that sleeps with witches and eats babies" sorts of ****.
    Have we? I think basic human nature hasn't changed much, if at all. The individual message would change with the times, and the delivery system would certainly change, but people are still basically the same.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #19
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Do negative campaign ads work with YOU?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Have we? I think basic human nature hasn't changed much, if at all. The individual message would change with the times, and the delivery system would certainly change, but people are still basically the same.
    Sure we change. If you want to see an example, well think about this: in 2004, Bush retook the white house at least partially because of the nationwide movement for the Defense of Marriage Act. Today, only ten years after that, our nation has shifted the opposite direction to such a degree that SSM now seems inevitable with 37 states already allowing it. A shift of that scale is unprecedented in politics, as it often takes generations to see real movement on issues.

  10. #20
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Do negative campaign ads work with YOU?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    Sure we change. If you want to see an example, well think about this: in 2004, Bush retook the white house at least partially because of the nationwide movement for the Defense of Marriage Act. Today, only ten years after that, our nation has shifted the opposite direction to such a degree that SSM now seems inevitable with 37 states already allowing it. A shift of that scale is unprecedented in politics, as it often takes generations to see real movement on issues.
    We're not talking the same thing. You're talking individual issues. The premise of the thread is general, sometimes subconscious, gullibility and/or skepticism.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •