View Poll Results: Should executions be public or remain private?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Public: Raises awareness and helps deter criminals

    7 4.07%
  • Private: It's better behind walls, as it is.

    8 4.65%
  • End all executions.

    156 90.70%
  • I care neither way.

    1 0.58%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Execution of criminals: Public or hidden

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,424

    Re: Execution of criminals: Public or hidden

    Quote Originally Posted by Paxaeon View Post
    `
    While I'm generally against a death penalty, if it must be done, then I'd suggest execution in private, by guillotine. Painless. 100% assurance of death, the first time.
    I would go for pain killers in bed.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Execution of criminals: Public or hidden

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Just curious where people stand on this issue. Not meant to be a big stinker thread.
    I think the DP should be abolished.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #23
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Execution of criminals: Public or hidden

    Executions are so rare nowadays anyway that I don't think it particularly matters.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  4. #24
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Execution of criminals: Public or hidden

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I think the DP should be abolished.
    Then how will we be able to debate with people? D:
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  5. #25
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,199

    Re: Execution of criminals: Public or hidden

    There is nothing much to see.


    The prisoner is secured to a frame, IVs are inserted. A sedative IV is begun. The prisoner loses consciousness. Then the lethal components are injected. The prisoner may twitch a little at times, but otherwise just appears to be asleep, until he just stops breathing.


    Other than the fact that someone is dying, it is about as interesting to watch as a dripping faucet.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #26
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Execution of criminals: Public or hidden

    Quote Originally Posted by Dobsdot00 View Post
    They'll never use the guillotine. That's too quick. Don't you know that they want the prisoner to suffer first.
    So says the pro choicer who supports vacuuming children out of the womb!

    See how ludicrousness can turn back on you? Suffering is not the objective, and only people like you think like that.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #27
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Execution of criminals: Public or hidden

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    There is nothing much to see.


    The prisoner is secured to a frame, IVs are inserted. A sedative IV is begun. The prisoner loses consciousness. Then the lethal components are injected. The prisoner may twitch a little at times, but otherwise just appears to be asleep, until he just stops breathing.


    Other than the fact that someone is dying, it is about as interesting to watch as a dripping faucet.
    If it were more... visual, would that make a difference? Guillotine, hanging, electrocution, firing squad...
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  8. #28
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,199

    Re: Execution of criminals: Public or hidden

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    If it were more... visual, would that make a difference? Guillotine, hanging, electrocution, firing squad...


    Certainly there would be more impact on the viewers, obviously. Whether there would be more deterrent effect is something I'm sure would be hotly debated on both sides.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #29
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Execution of criminals: Public or hidden

    The evidence is pretty solidly on the fact that the death penalty has no deterrent value and has never had deterrent value, even when it was a public spectacle.

    There's only one legitimate reason for the State to kill its own citizens, and that is when they have been proven in a court of law to be an ongoing and severe threat to public safety; the State is then justified in killing them in order to prevent them from causing any more harm to the public. There's no justification for making a spectacle out of it or trying to punish or humiliate the condemned.

    The death penalty isn't justice, it's pest control. It's an unfortunate reality that a civilized people would take neither joy nor pride in.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,025

    Re: Execution of criminals: Public or hidden

    I didnt vote yet. The main reason I dont support the DP is because it hasnt been found to be a deterrent to most capital crimes.

    Do you have any studies that show that public execution does act as a deterrent?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •