View Poll Results: Death Penalty For White Collar Crimes

Voters
279. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    228 81.72%
  • No

    51 18.28%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 108

Thread: Death Penalty For White Colloar Crimes

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    04-22-15 @ 10:53 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    105

    Death Penalty For White Colloar Crimes

    Would you support the death penalty for white collar crimes?

  2. #2
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,140

    Re: Death Penalty For White Colloar Crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Dobsdot00 View Post
    Would you support the death penalty for white collar crimes?
    No. I don't support the use of the death penalty on any grounds.

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Death Penalty For White Colloar Crimes

    Not a lot of detail here.


    White collar crimes typically involve fraud and/or theft. As a society, we don't generally execute people for fraud or theft.


    Now, I recall certain cases, like one in my state, where a couple of corrupt businessmen convinced hundreds of thousands of people to invest their life savings and/or retirement with their company... and it was all a dog and pony show, fraud and lies, and when it fell apart the investors lost everything. Many were retirees.

    I'd be almost tempted to agree with the DP for such an egregious and heartless offense against so many, especially the vulnerable elderly, but as I said it would go against established jurisprudence for our culture.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #4
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Death Penalty For White Colloar Crimes

    who stole my horse?

  5. #5
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,940

    Re: Death Penalty For White Colloar Crimes

    the majority of the population has issue with the death penalty for capital crimes

    why would you think anyone would want the death penalty for white collar crime?

    thread fail
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    04-22-15 @ 10:53 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    105

    Re: Death Penalty For White Colloar Crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    the majority of the population has issue with the death penalty for capital crimes

    why would you think anyone would want the death penalty for white collar crime?

    thread fail
    I got the idea for this thread from the recent execution in China of mining tycoon Liu Han.

  7. #7
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Death Penalty For White Colloar Crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Dobsdot00 View Post
    I got the idea for this thread from the recent execution in China of mining tycoon Liu Han.
    I see your new so a little advice, next time post an article about said news event to give the topic some context. Posting out of the blue, people may not be aware of said case.

  8. #8
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,135

    Re: Death Penalty For White Colloar Crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Not a lot of detail here.


    White collar crimes typically involve fraud and/or theft. As a society, we don't generally execute people for fraud or theft.


    Now, I recall certain cases, like one in my state, where a couple of corrupt businessmen convinced hundreds of thousands of people to invest their life savings and/or retirement with their company... and it was all a dog and pony show, fraud and lies, and when it fell apart the investors lost everything. Many were retirees.

    I'd be almost tempted to agree with the DP for such an egregious and heartless offense against so many, especially the vulnerable elderly, but as I said it would go against established jurisprudence for our culture.
    IOWs there's no real consequence for the powerful and rich taking everything we commoners have worked our entire lives to achieve. Even if there was a death penalty, we'd never see a dime of our savings.

    Revolution comes to mind.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  9. #9
    Educator
    Dayton3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    07-20-17 @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,153

    Re: Death Penalty For White Colloar Crimes

    I generally do not even advocate prison for white collar crimes. House arrest and have them work to repay the money they stole plus penalties.

    At any rate IIRC the Supreme Court has ruled that the death penalty can only be applied to murders.

  10. #10
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,217

    Re: Death Penalty For White Colloar Crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Dobsdot00 View Post
    Would you support the death penalty for white collar crimes?
    If I supported capital punishment, I would support it for white collar crimes too, where they caused death or crippled people. In the case of the Euro, where the politicians introduced a currency that was literally certain to cause catastrophic conditions for large numbers of citizens, the damage was far larger than any Mafioso hit man can do.

    But I do not support capital punishment and therefore such criminals should rot in jail and not yet in Hell.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •