View Poll Results: What is Modern Feminism

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Equal Rights for women

    17 8.99%
  • Equal RIghts for everyone

    156 82.54%
  • A hate group

    8 4.23%
  • People not understanding reality

    8 4.23%
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 172

Thread: What is Modern Feminism about?

  1. #151
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,517

    Re: What is Modern Feminism about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I don't think any single people should be able to vote, men or women. By the way, that includes me, since I'm not married.

    Democracy was never meant to be a free-for-all. Restricting who can vote has a long precedent in the United States, and I believe in having all sorts of restrictions as the common man doesn't really understand politics or know the candidates.

    As for the facts and data, just look at how the following things have been affected since the women's lib movement: Divorce rates (WAY UP), out-of-wedlock births (WAY UP) and entitlement spending (WAY UP).

    Feminism, seen one way, is an attack on the traditional nuclear family. The traditional nuclear family is the best known model for providing stability and a good nurturing environment for the next generation. For this reason, feminism has done more harm than good.

    It's not as if women were oppressed before. Women have always been women, cunning and able to get what they want.
    A Republic form of government was never meant to be a free for all. That's why this system is able to provide some protection for the minorities...regardless of the nature of the minorities. Not so with a true Democracy. The majority would always win and always snuffing out the minorities. Well, until anarchist groups formed and begin fighting for power.

    Wow! Women's Lib - the true Nemesis behind the fall of the American Empire. Remarkable perspective. But no surprise that some truly believe that.

  2. #152
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: What is Modern Feminism about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    A Republic form of government was never meant to be a free for all. That's why this system is able to provide some protection for the minorities...regardless of the nature of the minorities. Not so with a true Democracy. The majority would always win and always snuffing out the minorities. Well, until anarchist groups formed and begin fighting for power.

    Wow! Women's Lib - the true Nemesis behind the fall of the American Empire. Remarkable perspective. But no surprise that some truly believe that.
    For me it's just easier to just dismiss someone's supposedly 'self-evident' interpretation of events and intentions when they are so irrelevant today.

    Finally 'forcing' some states to provide equal rights for blacks certainly created many social changes....both good and bad depending on perspectives...and we have not yet seen the results of those changes...society isnt static.

    Inconvenience and outdated prejudices (esp those that people see threatening their own places in society) should not be involved in decisions about equal rights for people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #153
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,517

    Re: What is Modern Feminism about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    For me it's just easier to just dismiss someone's supposedly 'self-evident' interpretation of events and intentions when they are so irrelevant today.

    Finally 'forcing' some states to provide equal rights for blacks certainly created many social changes....both good and bad depending on perspectives...and we have not yet seen the results of those changes...society isnt static.

    Inconvenience and outdated prejudices (esp those that people see threatening their own places in society) should not be involved in decisions about equal rights for people.
    Touche!

    When any group that's held significant power over another, especially for long periods of time, which eventually finds itself having to relinquish it's power "in part or whole", usually resorts to the strategy of whining and crying things like reverse discrimination. Amazing.

  4. #154
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: What is Modern Feminism about?

    abortion
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  5. #155
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,908

    Re: What is Modern Feminism about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    A Republic form of government was never meant to be a free for all. That's why this system is able to provide some protection for the minorities...regardless of the nature of the minorities. Not so with a true Democracy. The majority would always win and always snuffing out the minorities. Well, until anarchist groups formed and begin fighting for power.

    Wow! Women's Lib - the true Nemesis behind the fall of the American Empire. Remarkable perspective. But no surprise that some truly believe that.
    How is this true? The majority often takes the minority needs into account... why does it always have to be us verse them? Why do people like you always like to group people?

    I think it's because, grouping people into races and classes actually helps you.... if everyone assimilated into a multicultural blob where no one group could have any true distinguishment from another, then you wouldn't be able to target groups of people you have a bias for or against.
    the concept of ethnicity is stupid and promotes racism. Everyone is an American in America... there is no such thing as "white" culture in America... it's just American culture, which has tons of contributions from many different places from Hip-hop(which mainstream culture participates in) to country.
    And I don't see why anyone in America should separate their culture based on race... that's inherently racist. Anyone can participate in anything cultural in America if they want to.... doesn't matter what "color" they are. The best rapper is white... the coolest country singer is black.
    No ethnicity has a claim on what culture is in the present... history can have it's reflections after the fact.

    I'm done ranting...

  6. #156
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: What is Modern Feminism about?

    Quote Originally Posted by instagramsci View Post
    nope. i am actually almost as gay as gay can be. im saying that gays were also once accused of being delusional. its not much different in this case
    Being attracted to people of the same sex and thinking you are a different sex than you are aren't even close. I don't care what homosexuals used to be or still are called... it is not delusional. Thinking you are something other than what you are though... is delusional. I am no more a bird than I am a woman.

    i dont think they are the same. i think they are different because i dont believe in biological essentialism
    I simply say that they are different because they are not the same...

    i havent seen you post anything that supports your "side". just accusations of delusion and comparisons to bi-polarness and schizophrenia
    I am not accusing anybody of anything... I am simply describing what is. The fact is, and what I have pointed out, is that nothing supports either side. It is all best guess. I will err on the side of common sense though and that is that a man born a male is a male... period. Same with a woman... she is a woman. To think otherwise is delusional. That said, I am going to bust out the old, "I know a lot of gay guys, lesbians and transgendered as I lived near Laguna Beach for decades and near San Francisco. I hold no ill will and count many of them my friends...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #157
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,517

    Re: What is Modern Feminism about?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    How is this true? The majority often takes the minority needs into account... why does it always have to be us verse them? Why do people like you always like to group people?

    I think it's because, grouping people into races and classes actually helps you.... if everyone assimilated into a multicultural blob where no one group could have any true distinguishment from another, then you wouldn't be able to target groups of people you have a bias for or against.
    the concept of ethnicity is stupid and promotes racism. Everyone is an American in America... there is no such thing as "white" culture in America... it's just American culture, which has tons of contributions from many different places from Hip-hop(which mainstream culture participates in) to country.
    And I don't see why anyone in America should separate their culture based on race... that's inherently racist. Anyone can participate in anything cultural in America if they want to.... doesn't matter what "color" they are. The best rapper is white... the coolest country singer is black.
    No ethnicity has a claim on what culture is in the present... history can have it's reflections after the fact.

    I'm done ranting...
    Oh come on, Celtic. I know you better than that. You can't give up ranting now. If you don't rant about something at least once a day...the rest of us at DP would be miserable!

    People LIKE ME? Who said I liked it. I just pointed out the obvious.

    You're claiming that I believe that Grouping People (race, gender, etc) helps? Really? Celtic, Celtic, Celtic....

    And as you might suspect...I don't agree too much with your rant. I don't think the history books support your argument. AND...I agree that majorities may take minorities in account, alright. They take them in account for the purpose of determining just how much a minority will impact their lives. Then they act accordingly.

    IMHO, people just aren't evolved enough to be capable of being genuinely civil and promote true equality for all. Not here. Not anywhere.

    Oh, and have you ever heard the saying...."And Liberty and Justice for ALL"? I'm assuming you have and preferred to ignore it. But, hey, I like you anyway.

  8. #158
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: What is Modern Feminism about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    A Republic form of government was never meant to be a free for all. That's why this system is able to provide some protection for the minorities...regardless of the nature of the minorities. Not so with a true Democracy. The majority would always win and always snuffing out the minorities. Well, until anarchist groups formed and begin fighting for power.

    Wow! Women's Lib - the true Nemesis behind the fall of the American Empire. Remarkable perspective. But no surprise that some truly believe that.
    I read this post twice and I have no idea what point you're trying to make here. I'm not advocating for a true democracy, quite the opposite. I believe in a measured form of democracy with reasonable constraints on who can vote - much in line with the thinking of the original founding fathers.

    In other news, I don't know why you and Lursa are projecting supposed intentions on what, to me, is nothing more than a principled stance. Nobody is whining or crying about anything, at least any more than one would "whine or cry" about their belief in a higher minimum wage or a proposed change to gun regulation. I simply hold a fringe political position based on what I believe to be common sense and traditional family values. As with any political stance - we are all, as Americans, entitled to believe as we wish, and no man's opinion is inherently better than the next.

    We are on this forum to have debates. If you or Lursa wish to run away from the issue, that's more of an indictment on you than on the legitimacy of my beliefs. In other words, if my position were so illogical, one would assume it should be quite easy to dispel it. The fact that you're unwilling/unable to do so and instead revert to snarky personal attacks should make it clear to all that you really have no logic to offer, just emotion and un-thought out herd beliefs.

  9. #159
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,517

    Re: What is Modern Feminism about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I read this post twice and I have no idea what point you're trying to make here. I'm not advocating for a true democracy, quite the opposite. I believe in a measured form of democracy with reasonable constraints on who can vote - much in line with the thinking of the original founding fathers.

    In other news, I don't know why you and Lursa are projecting supposed intentions on what, to me, is nothing more than a principled stance. Nobody is whining or crying about anything, at least any more than one would "whine or cry" about their belief in a higher minimum wage or a proposed change to gun regulation. I simply hold a fringe political position based on what I believe to be common sense and traditional family values. As with any political stance - we
    are all, as Americans, entitled to believe as we wish, and no man's opinion is inherently better than the next.

    We are on this forum to have debates. If you or Lursa wish to run away from the issue, that's more of an indictment on you than on the legitimacy of my beliefs. In other words, if my position were so illogical, one would assume it should be quite easy to dispel it. The fact that you're unwilling/unable to do so and instead revert to snarky personal attacks should make it clear to all that you really have no logic to offer, just emotion and un-thought out herd beliefs.
    If after reading my post twice and you didn't get it. I choose not to read the small booklet, which followed. What's the point in reading it? How can you respond to something you don't understand?

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: What is Modern Feminism about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    If after reading my post twice and you didn't get it. I choose not to read the small booklet, which followed. What's the point in reading it? How can you respond to something you don't understand?
    Whatever. You stick to emotion and petty snark, I'll stick with principles, fact, and logic.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •