View Poll Results: What is Modern Feminism

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Equal Rights for women

    17 8.99%
  • Equal RIghts for everyone

    156 82.54%
  • A hate group

    8 4.23%
  • People not understanding reality

    8 4.23%
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 172

Thread: What is Modern Feminism about?

  1. #141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: What is Modern Feminism about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    So single women shouldnt vote? Or women 18 before marriage? Do these single women need to own property first too?

    (Gonna be fun with mail in votes...whoever picks up the mail that day votes! Or does it have to be the male's signature?)

    Yes, I would like to see all that backed up by facts and data.
    I don't think any single people should be able to vote, men or women. By the way, that includes me, since I'm not married.

    Democracy was never meant to be a free-for-all. Restricting who can vote has a long precedent in the United States, and I believe in having all sorts of restrictions as the common man doesn't really understand politics or know the candidates.

    As for the facts and data, just look at how the following things have been affected since the women's lib movement: Divorce rates (WAY UP), out-of-wedlock births (WAY UP) and entitlement spending (WAY UP).

    Feminism, seen one way, is an attack on the traditional nuclear family. The traditional nuclear family is the best known model for providing stability and a good nurturing environment for the next generation. For this reason, feminism has done more harm than good.

    It's not as if women were oppressed before. Women have always been women, cunning and able to get what they want.

  2. #142
    Black Is Smart
    Van Basten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The New New Frontier
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: What is Modern Feminism about?

    Equal rights for women which spills into equal rights for both genders and a better world in terms of gender equality.

    Still, it's been hijacked by ****ing morons on the internet, whiny pseudo-intellectuals, and radfems as of late, it's embarrassing. As a result, the word isn't even taken seriously anymore.

    For the feminists who are the real deal, more power to you, keep on keeping on.
    "We have more responsibility than power, I think. The newspaper can create great controversies, stir up arguments within the community or discussion, can throw light on injustices....just as it can do the opposite. It can hide things and be a great power for evil." -- Rupert Murdoch, 1968

  3. #143
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,815

    Re: What is Modern Feminism about?

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Courts can only interpret various family laws, not make them. If legislatures are changing those laws to lessen the burdens they impose on men, well and good.

    You acknowledge that there is an effort to "rectify things . . . in favor of men," and that the goal is equality. But how could this reform be taking place despite feminism, unless feminists favored the existing bias against men? If they were for equality between the sexes, they would support reforming family laws--even if they had played no part in making those laws.
    *Individuals* generally favor laws that are biased towards them. That is common and that is not justice.

    And your comment seems to imply that women in general support that bias. Ask around...here, elsewhere. Many do not and a "feminist" could not say she supported that bias.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #144
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,815

    Re: What is Modern Feminism about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I don't think any single people should be able to vote, men or women. By the way, that includes me, since I'm not married.

    Democracy was never meant to be a free-for-all. Restricting who can vote has a long precedent in the United States, and I believe in having all sorts of restrictions as the common man doesn't really understand politics or know the candidates.

    As for the facts and data, just look at how the following things have been affected since the women's lib movement: Divorce rates (WAY UP), out-of-wedlock births (WAY UP) and entitlement spending (WAY UP).

    Feminism, seen one way, is an attack on the traditional nuclear family. The traditional nuclear family is the best known model for providing stability and a good nurturing environment for the next generation. For this reason, feminism has done more harm than good.

    It's not as if women were oppressed before. Women have always been women, cunning and able to get what they want.
    I read your response.

    That is all I'll have to say to you on the subject; my time is better spent elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: What is Modern Feminism about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Every female on debate politics is a feminist even if they don't want to identify with the term [understandable - because of the connotations and other issues].
    If you define "feminist" broadly enough to include all women, then you are right. Otherwise, you have no way of knowing whether every woman who posts on this site is a feminist. I've known some very intelligent, successful women who loathed feminism for a number of reasons. One I remember adored men, including her father and brother, and felt feminists were bitter women who disliked men and wanted to beat up on them. Another woman I knew disliked the negative influence she felt feminism had had on the way boys were being raised. She also felt it had worked against romance by stirring up negative feelings between men and women.

    I have a hard time believing you oppose your right to vote - etc. The basic elements that go into it.
    The only person of either sex I have ever heard call for repealing women's right to vote was Ann Coulter. I doubt she was serious, but the basis for her argument was that but for women voters, the country never would have been plagued with Clinton or Obama. It's ironic that any woman would have voted for a degenerate like Clinton--a chronic adulterer who sexually harassed women and may even have committed rape.

    But if it's the social and emotional 'anti-male' and 'anti-family' as well as the 'anti-mother' and 'anti-feminine' elements that bother you, I'm right there with you. I'm a stay at home feminist - apparently that just just peeves people off on both sides of the line. lol
    I would hope those aspects of feminism would bother most women. No normal, self-respecting man would want anything to do with a woman who had a low opinion of men, families, motherhood, and femininity. I assume women who feel that way are probably homosexual.

  6. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: What is Modern Feminism about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I read your response.

    That is all I'll have to say to you on the subject; my time is better spent elsewhere.
    That's you're choice.

    If my facts are incorrect, you or anyone else are more than welcome to call me out on them. However, I believe them to be correct.

    1. There is a precedent in limiting who is able to vote. This goes back to our founding fathers. FACT

    2. Since the feminist movement began, divorce rates are way up, out-of wedlock births are way up, and entitlement spending is way up. FACT

    If you or others are unwilling or unable to dispute those facts, then they speak for themselves.

  7. #147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: What is Modern Feminism about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    *Individuals* generally favor laws that are biased towards them. That is common and that is not justice.

    And your comment seems to imply that women in general support that bias. Ask around...here, elsewhere. Many do not and a "feminist" could not say she supported that bias.
    As if women who wanted laws and policies that discriminated against men while favoring them would be likely to admit it. Next you'll be telling us that black applicants to graduate programs in state universities would probably admit they support discrimination against whites--even though that is the necessary result of admissions policies that favor blacks. If a person gladly accepts discrimination that favors them, their denial that they support that discrimination is not credible.

  8. #148
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: What is Modern Feminism about?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I don't recall saying I oppose my right to vote. In fact, I don't recall saying I oppose my right to anything.
    Exactly. So - you just oppose the social and other connotations that go with the term 'feminism'.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #149
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,815

    Re: What is Modern Feminism about?

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    As if women who wanted laws and policies that discriminated against men while favoring them would be likely to admit it. Next you'll be telling us that black applicants to graduate programs in state universities would probably admit they support discrimination against whites--even though that is the necessary result of admissions policies that favor blacks. If a person gladly accepts discrimination that favors them, their denial that they support that discrimination is not credible.
    I was discussing the bias towards women in the family court system.

    And yes, many women and blacks spoke/speak out against affirmative action, as well as there were those that were happy to take advantage of that program.

    And this thread is an obvious example of men doing the exact same thing....demonstrating that men clearly enjoyed their status where most laws favored them and didnt speak out against them because they worked to their benefit. If that was not the case, there would have been/be no feminist movement or women working towards equality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #150
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: What is Modern Feminism about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Exactly. So - you just oppose the social and other connotations that go with the term 'feminism'.
    I don't oppose or support them, although to the point you're making, yes there are some connotation that I don't like.

    I don't think we're the same as men or equal to, and that's what feminism assumes. That doesn't mean we shouldn't get the same rights or opportunities as men.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •