View Poll Results: Should Doctor assisted suicide be legal?

Voters
222. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    201 90.54%
  • Depends on the regulation put in place and circumstances

    12 5.41%
  • no

    9 4.05%
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 334

Thread: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

  1. #231
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,795

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    An injection or dosage of medication that puts someone to sleep and continues to depress their breathing until it stops isnt doing any physical damage.
    It's ridiculous to imagine this as force as well.

    Jus' sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #232
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Why? One has nothing to do with the other.
    I think it's fairly obvious why -- if you are going to ask the medical profession to help you commit suicide, you might as well help the medical profession and the community by donating the organs you yourself disvalue and have no further use for.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  3. #233
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    That would be you doing the warping, chief.

    You're equivocating giving someone relief from distressing symptoms and deliberately killing them. That's warped.

    No I haven't warped a single thing, that is your strawman though.

    Hyperbole is synonymous with exaggeration. There is no exaggeration in pointing out to you that "assisted suicide" is not legal, violates the principles of medical ethics, aggressively violates the human right to life, and the act could / should / and has been prosecuted as murder.
    No it doesn't. That is just your skewed opinion on a doctor who, in his medical expertise, can see the suffering of an individual and at that individuals request allow them to pass peacefully. There is nothing about that - that is aggressive, unethical, or murderous. Period.

    If your location is accurate, it is a serious felony to assist in a suicide in your state. I suppose what specific criminal charge is issued would be up to prosecutorial discretion. If someone pulled that in my state, things would go very badly for them; as they should.
    No they wouldn't. With precedence set in the U.S. by some states - and the fact that the reason for the assisted suicide would be taken into consideration. There would be no reason for serious charges. Most people, unlike you, know that if someone is suffering and they want out granting them a peaceful exit is not the same is murdering someone against their will. <--- again, that is your strawman.


    Murder is a specific criminal charge as defined by legal jurisdiction; it is not, as you claimed "taking the life from someone who did not want to die." Do you need examples of why your effort at defining the term is a failure, or is that self-evident? A lot of humans are killed who have not expressed a desire to die. A lot of criminals don't want to die, they want to profit at the expense of others, but then they get killed while committing their crimes. If you need more examples, do let me know.
    I know it's meaning. Murder, by law, is defined as killing with malice aforethought.

    Again it doesn't fit with what we are discussing. Mutual agreement between patient and medical professional - in which the patient willfully, voluntarily, decides that they want their professional medical care giver to help them die in peace is not the same as murder.

    And it never will be no matter how hard you try to warp the definition of the word.

    The initiation of force. Killing is justified only in very limited circumstances, such as self-defense.
    Nothing in this sentence is a fact that can't be amended by further regulatory wording written into some book for legislation. You appeal to the authority to old archaic words of man is noted, but your insistence that such fallible decrees can not be updated continues to be the wrench in your argument.


    If a patient is so helpless they cannot perform any sort of active action to kill themselves, then clearly they do not meet those criteria, as they cannot possibly be attacking anyone else. Therefore by inflicting intentional, lethal harm on them, that is aggression as you the party initiating force.
    Again nothing you said is some sort of universal fact written in to the fabric the holds all things together. All of that of which you wrote is an opinion of what is considered harm. And it is that exact opinion that is be challenged and is loosing it's footing.

    People believe that anyone should have the right to choose their fate. That's a fact.



    What is unethical is the subject of debate within the philosophy of ethics. You clearly have a divergent philosophy and you think that folks can abdicate their own natural rights. That runs counter to our country's mission statement, the Declaration of Independence, which asserts that we humans have several unalienable rights.
    What are natural rights and who defines them?

    Our countries principles have made many claims? are you arguing that those claims are infallible truths? Are you suggesting that we have never amended the wording in our constitution to better reflect our evolving understanding of things?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  4. #234
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaylaWindu View Post
    So again you are not answering my request and again this has nothing to do with aggression hahaha.

    But like I said I'm very entertained by people who post lies, since you are going to dodge my question lets play your game because the results will be the same, your lie losing

    Here is the definition of "harm"
    : physical or mental damage or injury : something that causes someone or something to be hurt, broken, made less valuable or successful, etc.

    now objectively apply this to assisted suicide.

    I want to die, so my Doctor hands me a pill, I take it, I fall a sleep and I die.

    Now Please point out the "objective" aggression and harm.
    I'm a bit curious when I lied, but whatever that's not important. What is important is that by giving them the pill you have put into motion something that will cause them to die. Yes, they will die regardless, but that is by natural causes or one that was not caused by the doctor I hope, but when the doctor puts into motion a quickening of their death they have taken a step with the intent to harm the patient. Causing someone's death is a harm because it is the causing of their body to no longer function.

  5. #235
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaylaWindu View Post
    I know that's like a double edge sword because the immediate thought is what religion allows suicide but not organ donation hahahaha
    That was my thought as well. In any event, I obviously don't feel that assisted suicide is a fundamental right, so I have no problem conditioning the exercise of that right in socially beneficial ways. This is a secular condition. If people care that much about what happens to their organs after they die, they can commit suicide on their own.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  6. #236
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    I think it's fairly obvious why -- if you are going to ask the medical profession to help you commit suicide, you might as well help the medical profession and the community by donating the organs you yourself disvalue and have no further use for.
    It seems like you are just putting up something on your wish list as a condition of providing the service. I suppose that is fine, but honestly the two things don't go together.

  7. #237
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    It seems like you are just putting up something on your wish list as a condition of providing the service. I suppose that is fine, but honestly the two things don't go together.
    I think it's fairly straightforward. You are committing suicide. That necessarily and immediately brings to the forefront the issue of what happens with your organs afterwards. It's not like I'm proposing conditioning assisted suicide on the patient buying an Xbox or something.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  8. #238
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,945

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    As far as assisted suicide goes I agree that persons who are dying from non curable diseases should be able to choose Doctor assisted suicides if they want to. Our laws are sometimes kinder to sick pets than they are to our loved ones.


    I know in the 1990s Dr. K from Michigan tried very hard to make doctor assisted sucide legal and even invented a suicide machine that patients could use themselves to commit sucide. Eventually he was arrested and spent several years in jail but it was a cause in which he believed , and a cause I believed in and I was hoping the SC would take it up and make it legal.
    They looked at it twice in 1997 but said there was no constional right for assisted suicide.

    Oregon passed a law that allows assisted sucide and in 2006 the SC did allow the Oregon to stand so maybe we getting closer to
    Making assisted sucide legal.

    We can hope.
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  9. #239
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,235

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    It's ridiculous to imagine this as force as well.

    Jus' sayin'.
    It is just dying on your own terms. Death by being ravaged by disease or being spared the ravages of the disease.

    As a nurse, I have known many patients that are totally at peace with the process of dying and desire to extract every ounce of life (no matter ho painful) until the end. I have clearly known others that just want it all over with now.

    By the way...I highly recommend "Sill Alice" - a movie about how a woman with early onset Alzheimer's deals with her disease. Julianne Moore kicked butt in the lead.

    Still Alice (2014) - Moviefone

  10. #240
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaylaWindu View Post
    Again by definition that's not objective
    No, by definition he is correct. Killing is always harm.

    For someone who complains about other people, you seem to lack grounding in what a lot of very basic terms mean.

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •