View Poll Results: Should Doctor assisted suicide be legal?

Voters
222. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    201 90.54%
  • Depends on the regulation put in place and circumstances

    12 5.41%
  • no

    9 4.05%
Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 334

Thread: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    [QUOTE=JayDubya;1064284772]Agreed. Totally not what the thread is about, but agreed wholeheartedly.

    ......uh. It kinda is.

    See I'm a libertarian, you may have heard of us
    Nope, I only have it set as my lean.

    , and we follow this thing called the non-aggression principle.
    Libertarianism was around long before that two-dimensional load of crap.

  2. #172
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    ......uh. It kinda is.
    "People have the right to end their own life. Period."

    Nope. This thread is about having someone else in your life. That makes a huge difference.

    Nope, I only have it set as my lean.

    Libertarianism was around long before that two-dimensional load of crap.
    Calling the central tenet of libertarianism a "load of crap" tells me just about everything I need to know about you. Hell, it's essentially just the golden rule.

  3. #173
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    You know what? Let's say, for the sake of argument only, that you've convinced me. Sure thing, providing palliation for dehydration is still "physician assisted suicide," no different than administering a lethal dose of medication yourself.

    Okay. The point still stands, you have now convinced me that all palliative care is wrong and should never be provided. You can still kill yourself just fine by refusing fluids. I guess the threshold for your resolve will have to be higher, but no one need kill you by bringing you any medication that helps alleviate any symptom whatsoever.
    They are they same thing. So whether or not you are hypothetically conceding is irrelevant.

    You keep spinning your hyperbolic version of what Doctor assisted suicide is. It's Barbaric. It's murder. It's unethical.

    But it's not working because you're wrong. There is nothing ill mannered or seedy about assisting someone who wants to die peacefully.

    That fact remains despite by your protest.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  4. #174
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Kevorkian's murder conviction was for administering a lethal dose of medication himself. He filmed this action; it aired on 60 Minutes. I'm not surprised you don't know the facts of this case, because well, precedent.

    He should never have been given parole, and it should not have been a second degree murder conviction given the element of premeditation. Nevertheless, he not only perpetrated homicide, he was a convicted murderer.


    The rest of your post is summarily ignored.
    You have established that you are appealing to the laws that where set in place that allowed Kevorkian to be charged with murder for assisting his patients in their choice to end their life.

    Ultimately you insistence on repeating this does nothing to further your argument, because the point remains that the law is the word of man not the word of some sort of ingrained, infallible, absolute moral premise that is weaved into the universe that we must all abide by.

    The simple fact that his actions in this day and age depending on where he would be practicing would not be consider illegal confirms that the arbitrary law you hold so fast too, is nothing but cultural determination by legislation. Capable of being changed at any time, as it now is being.
    Last edited by Zinthaniel; 02-07-15 at 12:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  5. #175
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post

    Merely palliating discomfort does not fall under the umbrella of "physician assisted suicide."
    .

    It absolutely does when the sole purpose of the palliation is to ASSIST in making that suicide less painful.
    Your mental gymnastics with how the definitions of words work is quite the spectacle, but to fool yourself into thinking that you can navigate a discussion while imposing your own warped versions of definitions to circumvent their actual meaning is tad dishonest.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  6. #176
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,868

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    You know what? Let's say, for the sake of argument only, that you've convinced me. Sure thing, providing palliation for dehydration is still "physician assisted suicide," no different than administering a lethal dose of medication yourself.

    Okay. The point still stands, you have now convinced me that all palliative care is wrong and should never be provided. You can still kill yourself just fine by refusing fluids. I guess the threshold for your resolve will have to be higher, but no one need kill you by bringing you any medication that helps alleviate any symptom whatsoever.
    Your lack of compassion and mercy is no surprise.

    This is why people like you are not in charge and never will be. Just because *you* make this declaration has no bearing on reality and law. Law is moving more and more towards respecting people's rights to *assisted* suicide. Your 'version' of people choosing to terminate their own lives is obscene and people requesting assistance will always be supported by the compassion of others...legal or otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #177
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,335

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    Forgive the typo in title - *Should America...*

    Canadians have right to doctor-assisted suicide, Supreme Court rules - The Globe and Mail

    Canada can now be added to the small list of countries that give humans the right to decide when they want to end their lives legally.

    Is this a fundamental human right?

    And should the U.S. (on a national level) and other countries adopt it?
    Where is the question? Of course people should have the right to go painlessly. It's no good having to slam into a bus head on. That's a bad solution.

  8. #178
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    As long as the proper protections are put in place, then yes, it should be legal.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  9. #179
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    It absolutely does when the sole purpose of the palliation is to ASSIST in making that suicide less painful.
    Your mental gymnastics with how the definitions of words work is quite the spectacle, but to fool yourself into thinking that you can navigate a discussion while imposing your own warped versions of definitions to circumvent their actual meaning is tad dishonest.
    I agree. The poster is trying very hard to call a rose by another name. The way I see it, if a physician is fully aware that someone is in the process of killing themselves and said physician provides any kind of pain relieving medication to make the process easier, that is the very definition of assisted suicide. There is no getting away from what's really happening: One human being helping another leave this world in the most painless way possible.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  10. #180
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    They are they same thing. So whether or not you are hypothetically conceding is irrelevant.
    That's completely retarded, but you go on believing that palliating pain is the same thing as killing folks; by your standard, every hospice worker in all but a few states would be in prison.

    You keep spinning your hyperbolic version of what Doctor assisted suicide is. It's Barbaric. It's murder. It's unethical.
    No hyperbole or exaggeration whatsoever; administering a lethal dose of medication to a patient violates medical ethics, it is aggressive, and it is murder.

Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •