View Poll Results: Should Doctor assisted suicide be legal?

Voters
222. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    201 90.54%
  • Depends on the regulation put in place and circumstances

    12 5.41%
  • no

    9 4.05%
Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 334

Thread: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

  1. #161
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    You know what's ?
    Yes, I do. I identified the source of it quite well actually.

    Thinking that providing something that enables someone to commit suicide isnt assisting them.
    How does one provide an absence of water, Lursa? You know what, I'm afraid you'll actually respond to this completely rhetorical and highly derisive question...


    I mean, I get it. I get what you're doing. You're being obnoxious with semantics. It's how you do.

    PHYSICIAN ASSISTED SUICIDE refers to deliberately killing a patient, with the physician administering a lethal dose of medication.

    You're all like, "Herp a derp, but by giving someone pain medication, aren't you 'assisting' them while they commit suicide? "

    The correct response to this line of "logic" which completely ignores the concept of what we're talking about in this thread, where a physician is deliberately killing his patient, is as follows:



    The problem is, yes, you are comparing all palliative care to deliberately killing your patient, and that remains ****ing insane and would be noxiously offensive to anyone involved in palliative care that has the misfortune to read such slanderous rubbish.
    Last edited by JayDubya; 02-06-15 at 10:17 PM.

  2. #162
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,787

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Yes, I do. I identified the source of it quite well actually.



    How does one provide an absence of water, Lursa? You know what, I'm afraid you'll actually respond to this completely rhetorical and highly derisive question...


    I mean, I get it. I get what you're doing. You're being obnoxious with semantics. It's how you do.

    PHYSICIAN ASSISTED SUICIDE refers to deliberately killing a patient, with the physician administering a lethal dose of medication.

    You're all like, "Herp a derp, but by giving someone pain medication, aren't you 'assisting' them while they commit suicide?

    The correct response to this line of "logic" which completely ignores the concept of what we're talking about in this thread, where a physician is deliberately killing his patient, is as follows:


    The problem is, yes, you are comparing all palliative care to deliberately killing your patient, and that remains ****ing insane and would be noxiously offensive to anyone involved in palliative care that has the misfortune to read such slanderous rubbish.
    No, Kevorkian didnt go to jail for that. He just provided the means and the person did it themselves.

    And yes, providing pain meds is of course assisting, as I pointed out because it enables them.

    You can use the JD Dictionary of Drama all you like but it doesnt change the facts.

    (sorry that your juvenile diversionary tactics dont work on an adult with a normal attention span. Do your "arguments" actually work on children because they dont work on this forum? Ever, that I've seen.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #163
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    No, Kevorkian didnt go to jail for that. He just provided the means and the person did it themselves.
    Kevorkian's murder conviction was for administering a lethal dose of medication himself. He filmed this action; it aired on 60 Minutes. I'm not surprised you don't know the facts of this case, because well, precedent.

    He should never have been given parole, and it should not have been a second degree murder conviction given the element of premeditation. Nevertheless, he not only perpetrated homicide, he was a convicted murderer.


    The rest of your post is summarily ignored.
    Last edited by JayDubya; 02-06-15 at 11:22 PM.

  4. #164
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    You know what? Let's say, for the sake of argument only, that you've convinced me. Sure thing, providing palliation for dehydration is still "physician assisted suicide," no different than administering a lethal dose of medication yourself.

    Okay. The point still stands, you have now convinced me that all palliative care is wrong and should never be provided. You can still kill yourself just fine by refusing fluids. I guess the threshold for your resolve will have to be higher, but no one need kill you by bringing you any medication that helps alleviate any symptom whatsoever.

  5. #165
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    So refuse treatment, refuse food, and refuse water.

    You will die soon enough and no one else will be responsible for that death but you.
    Do you have any idea how painful that would be?

  6. #166
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Do you have any idea how painful that would be?
    Yeah. Not very much. With proper palliation, less than not very much.

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    This is one of those issues where I'm left stunned that anybody actually opposes this. I can understand heavy regulation, but an outright ban? Really?

    People have the right to end their own life. Period. It's to the point that with drug prohibition, prostitution bans, forced pregnancies through abortion bans, and these suicide bans, we are basically asserting that the state has total control over our bodies. And it's ironically "limited government" advocates giving them said control.

  8. #168
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    People have the right to end their own life. Period.
    Agreed. Totally not what the thread is about, but agreed wholeheartedly.

    See I'm a libertarian, you may have heard of us, and we follow this thing called the non-aggression principle.

  9. #169
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Yeah. Not very much. With proper palliation, less than not very much.
    So if the doctor is going to assist you in your suicide, then how would that be different from a lethal injection? Other than the latter being easier, quicker, and more humane?

  10. #170
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    So if the doctor is going to assist you in your suicide
    Meaning what? Sadly, you need to clarify whether you are being ridiculous or rational here. By context, it seems the former, sadly.

    Voluntary terminal dehydration may cause you various distressing symptoms. The lack of water is your choice driven entirely by your refusal, which puts you in the driver's seat, and it doesn't require any active action on your part whatsoever. Forcing fluids on you is not permissible. Palliating your discomfort, should you request that service, is permissible.

    Merely palliating discomfort does not fall under the umbrella of "physician assisted suicide."

    then how would that be different from a lethal injection? Other than the latter being easier, quicker, and more humane?
    Oh you mean with the one being suicide, like you killing yourself, and the other being murder, with one person aggressively violating your unalienable rights? That's not a big difference to you? Well, it is to some people.

    I don't consider needlessly killing - wait, no in this case I can actually use the word - murdering other humans to be humane.

    The thing is, I need not even go into specifics, I could have just said "anyone can kill themselves if they really want to" and left it at that, because it would be accurate.
    Last edited by JayDubya; 02-06-15 at 11:55 PM.

Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •