View Poll Results: Should Doctor assisted suicide be legal?

Voters
222. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    201 90.54%
  • Depends on the regulation put in place and circumstances

    12 5.41%
  • no

    9 4.05%
Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 334

Thread: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

  1. #131
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    You are correct, henrin, and I can't believe it needed to be said: yes, killing is always harm.
    Killing is not always harm. Henrin and yourself are woefully incorrect.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  2. #132
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I have actually attempted suicide before. I assure you I'm fully aware of what you're talking about. I might have wanted to die, but I was wrong.
    You are wrong all the time. Your anecdotal evidence means nothing and certainly doesnt apply to everyone.

    And unless you were terminally ill, has nothing to do with this thread. (ah...apparently you were not terminally ill)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #133
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I have actually attempted suicide before. I assure you I'm fully aware of what you're talking about. I might have wanted to die, but I was wrong.
    That is you own subjective truth. It is only relevant to you. You believed you were wrong and you know yourself better than anyone else could possibly know you - so you probably were wrong. If that was your ultimate conclusion.

    However, your anecdote doesn't trump the reality of other individuals and the lives they live and the suffering they endure. You may have decided against it, but not everyone does.

    And in context of this thread - doctor assisted suicide is tailored towards the ill who are suffering from physical ailments that will not leave them ever. They will spend their life in pain.

    Before they can go ahead with the suicide they must undergo extensive psychiatric evaluation.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  4. #134
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Dying in pain, suffering, is not 'very peaceful.'

    Allowing that suffering when one could alleviate it is evil and barbaric.
    Do you ever run out of these ridiculous and stupid lies?

    You call dehydration with palliative care "barbaric" "suffering?" So hospices should just shove a pillow over granny's face then so Lursa will approve?

    You don't know what the hell you're talking about. You're just being contrary for the sake of being contrary, and it's a tired schtick.

  5. #135
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Do you ever run out of these ridiculous and stupid lies?

    You call dehydration with palliative care "barbaric" "suffering?" So hospices should just shove a pillow over granny's face then so Lursa will approve?

    You don't know what the hell you're talking about.
    If someone is dying of dehydration and there is no way, medically, to prevent this - i'm not understanding the logic of prolonging the inevitable.

    What about dying a slow death where one must constantly consume pills do you think it preferable to a peaceful one?

    It's inevitable either way - but of the two only one offers the patient a peaceful exit.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  6. #136
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Palliative care is all about achieving said peaceful exit, and it's already used for those wracked with terminal disease.

    If you still have your mind and your mobility then there is no shortage of ways in which you can kill yourself. It's not hard to do. You don't need a prescription.

    Anyone in any state can refuse fluids. You do need to make your end of life desires known, preferably in writing and notorized.
    Last edited by JayDubya; 02-06-15 at 07:24 PM.

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    That is you own subjective truth. It is only relevant to you. You believed you were wrong and you know yourself better than anyone else could possibly know you - so you probably were wrong. If that was your ultimate conclusion.

    However, your anecdote doesn't trump the reality of other individuals and the lives they live and the suffering they endure. You may have decided against it, but not everyone does.

    And in context of this thread - doctor assisted suicide is tailored towards the ill who are suffering from physical ailments that will not leave them ever. They will spend their life in pain.

    Before they can go ahead with the suicide they must undergo extensive psychiatric evaluation.
    I never went to therapy even though it might have helped. For me, I had to deal with the aftermath of my attempt and battle it on my own terms. I no longer suffer from that state of mind anymore thankfully, and I know that rationally speaking my thoughts were wrong. Life might suck, it might be terrible, I might be unhappy, and I might be in pain, or on the other hand, it might be great, I'm happy, healthy, and just enjoying every minute I'm alive, but no matter what is going on the alternative to life is no longer feeling anything or being anything. I don't think it's rational to believe in an afterlife, but if it exists, hell, I might be wrong and maybe it's goddamn fantastic, but I kind of doubt it. More than likely there is nothingness, and while I'm not scared of death and I see no reason to be scared of nothingness, there is also nothing there. You're nothing, you experience nothing, feel nothing, you see nothing, you feel nothing, you're nothing. How could nothing in any way be better than something? Even if that something is terrible and miserable it is better than nothing.

  8. #138
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Palliative care is all about achieving said peaceful exit, and it's already used for those wracked with terminal disease.
    Mmhmm. Right. So the ultimate purpose is to make their exit easy. So if the ultimate goal is make their passing one that is of peace, why is it suddenly if they were, at the patients request of course, to administer the cocktail to allow the patient to leave on their own accord is it all of sudden, murderous? If the goal in both instances is that same - peace.
    If you still have your mind and your mobility then there is no shortage of ways in which you can kill yourself. It's not hard to do.
    Sure, you may be right. And if this said individual would prefer the most painless exit, one that can only truly by offered by a professional, why can't they have that option.

    Again nothing about that is unethical.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  9. #139
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I never went to therapy even though it might have helped. For me, I had to deal with the aftermath of my attempt and battle it on my own terms. I no longer suffer from that state of mind anymore thankfully, and I know that rationally speaking my thoughts were wrong. Life might suck, it might be terrible, I might be unhappy, and I might be in pain, or on the other hand, it might be great, I'm happy, healthy, and just enjoying every minute I'm alive, but no matter what is going on the alternative to life is no longer feeling anything or being anything. I don't think it's rational to believe in an afterlife, but if it exists, hell, I might be wrong and maybe it's goddamn fantastic, but I kind of doubt it. More than likely there is nothingness, and while I'm not scared of death and I see no reason to be scared of nothingness, there is also nothing there. You're nothing, you experience nothing, feel nothing, you see nothing, you feel nothing, you're nothing. How could nothing in any way be better than something? Even if that something is terrible and miserable it is better than nothing.
    That is probably the only real response I've ever gotten from you.
    I'm sorry you hit such a low point in your life that you considered ending it.

    However, I still stand by my argument. Your resilience in the face of the depression you faced is not universal. And sometimes the pain isn't only psychological.

    - If I'm reading it correctly, Doctor assisted suicide, is primarily aimed for the the ill who are suffering from physical pains that will never go away and that are severe. Many whom have used this service are individuals who were, not only in pain, but had a short time left a few years or so.

    And even still - this option is not mandated by law. A physician does not have to grant the request. So it really boils down to the psychiatric evaluation and finding a doctor who is willing to go there.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  10. #140
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Do you ever run out of these ridiculous and stupid lies?

    You call dehydration with palliative care "barbaric" "suffering?" So hospices should just shove a pillow over granny's face then so Lursa will approve?

    You don't know what the hell you're talking about. You're just being contrary for the sake of being contrary, and it's a tired schtick.
    Palliative care is part of assisted suicide, enabling, assisted.

    You seem to ignore that. If you agree to that, then you agree to assisted suicide, no matter what semantic contortions you will next assume (always fascinating btw).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •