View Poll Results: Should Doctor assisted suicide be legal?

Voters
222. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    201 90.54%
  • Depends on the regulation put in place and circumstances

    12 5.41%
  • no

    9 4.05%
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 334

Thread: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

  1. #111
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    What about hospices?
    Same question back at you?

    Do you think inpatient hospices purposefully kill folks?

    Because holy ****, no, no they do not.

  2. #112
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Same question back at you?

    Do you think inpatient hospices purposefully kill folks?

    Because holy ****, no, no they do not.
    I would implore you not to take offense. The hospice workers I've interacted with have been wonderful people (I volunteer with a hospice).

  3. #113
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Okay.

    I think a lot of people get the wrong idea about palliative healthcare. They're there to relieve symptoms, not hasten death.

  4. #114
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,939

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    As a right, no. Legally allowed for terminally ill patients, yes.
    Ditto, in general here.

    I don't think there is any fundamental human right that requires actions by someone else to be done for you.

    If you want to suggest people have a fundamental human right to die, that's one thing. I can see an argument there. I see no argument that you have a fundamental human right to have someone else kill you.

    But I have no real issue with this being legally allowed for terminally ill patients. I am somewhat open to the notion of letting it be legally allowed for individuals who are diagnosed with incurable, extremely dabilitating and paintful deseases as well.

    However, I think if it's made legal regulation needs to be in place where the people administering such things are restricted to only charging an amount equal to the cost to perform the action. While I do not have an issue with assisted suicide in those situations, I think allowing a potential profit from such acts opens it up for potentially questioanble diagnosis and other type things in order to make a profit. This would be ESPECIALLY true if it was legal in a broader sense then just the terminally ill.

    While that would reduce the amount of providers offering it, I believe there would be enough providers who feel morally compelled to offer such a service that would perform it even though they would not gain a profit (since they could charge enough to not take a loss).

  5. #115
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,990

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    People should have the right to die with dignity.

    Period.

    This does need heavy regulation however to ensure the 15 grandchildren aren't pressuring grandma into going early for inheritance as an over the top example but I have absolutely no problem with this.
    Luckily we as a nation have been getting better with laws that protect the elderly. Because FinCEN, banks have to report suspected abuse when it appears that senior citizens are being exploited financially by others, including the grandchildren. I wonder if there are any similar laws to report suspicion of danger to granny because these same kids want her put to sleep.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  6. #116
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,670

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Ditto, in general here.

    I don't think there is any fundamental human right that requires actions by someone else to be done for you.

    If you want to suggest people have a fundamental human right to die, that's one thing. I can see an argument there. I see no argument that you have a fundamental human right to have someone else kill you.

    But I have no real issue with this being legally allowed for terminally ill patients. I am somewhat open to the notion of letting it be legally allowed for individuals who are diagnosed with incurable, extremely dabilitating and paintful deseases as well.

    However, I think if it's made legal regulation needs to be in place where the people administering such things are restricted to only charging an amount equal to the cost to perform the action. While I do not have an issue with assisted suicide in those situations, I think allowing a potential profit from such acts opens it up for potentially questioanble diagnosis and other type things in order to make a profit. This would be ESPECIALLY true if it was legal in a broader sense then just the terminally ill.

    While that would reduce the amount of providers offering it, I believe there would be enough providers who feel morally compelled to offer such a service that would perform it even though they would not gain a profit (since they could charge enough to not take a loss).
    We use 2nd opinions now to prevent unnecessary procedures and surgeries, which also incur profits....anytime I hear about such legislation at this, additional corroboration and medical opinions are required.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #117
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Wrong. A medical professional has the duty to not harm their patient.
    In this case the harm is subjective. Because to the patient, who is choosing to commit suicide, staying alive is the harm.

    It is a breach of medical ethics dating back to the time of Hippocrates for medical professionals to involve themselves in such things.
    Yeah, so What? These ethics were authored by man, not mother nature - the sole arbiter of what is right and what is wrong.

    As humans we have to ability to evolve in our stance on things. This is obviously one of those occasions were a previously held belief is being challenged by newer understanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    In this case the harm is subjective. Because to the patient, who is choosing to commit suicide, staying alive is the harm.
    Wow. Causing someones death is objectively causing a harm. How in the hell is that something even up for discussion?

    Yeah, so What? These ethics were authored by man, not mother nature - the sole arbiter of what is right and what is wrong.

    As humans we have to ability to evolve in our stance on things. This is obviously one of those occasions were a previously held belief is being challenged by newer understanding.
    Do you really think anything new is being talked about here? What exactly is new about the idea of helping someone else die?

  9. #119
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    No murder is a specific criminal charge levied against the alleged perpetrator(s) of a homicide.

    Kevorkian was convicted of murder. He was a murderer. That conviction was entirely appropriate. Any doctor who does what he did is violating human rights as well as medical ethics; they should be thrown into prison forever.
    Yeah, I know of whom you are referring to. He was convicted for such. But you are making an appeal to a law that is not enforced because of some innate apparent reality of life. There is no dictatorial declaration in nature that forbids assisting someone in suicide. Man made scripture can be challenged and changed.

    The law of which you speak that forbade him from assisting in voluntary euthanasia is what is being appealed and changed in countries around the world. Because the understanding now is that the individual right to end your life is up to that individual and that individual can seek professional assistant in doing so - so that to ensure that their death is peaceful.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  10. #120
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    Re: Should American adopt the right to Doctor Assisted Suicide?

    I presented you with an ethical way to achieve that end.

    Killing is not necessary. Anyone is capable of zero fluid intake and anyone who does so will die from that choice in a very brief timeframe.

Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •