View Poll Results: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

Voters
419. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    362 86.40%
  • No

    57 13.60%
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 233

Thread: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    No one but the insurance company and it's owners benefits from it's investments. Insurance companies pay out less in claims than they take in premiums. It's a myth that they subsidize premiums with profits from investments.
    That's not my understanding in the case of my company. I was told that the company underwrites the insurance.

  2. #62
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    Yes
    I have personally benefited from additional coverage and so will my daughter who is about to go to college
    Ill never have to worry about an insurance company trying to screw me over on "pre-excisting" conditions over my asthma
    I have nieces and nephews that are college age that have all benefited
    I have family that has benefited from the improved coverage
    and it also benefited my mother mix of coverage

    I know many other that have also benefited
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    No, it's made my personal situation considerably worse.
    just reading through this thread should tell people what the problem is . . . . .and what it always has been . . .

    look at my post . . . all 100% true and when ACA started kicking it had ZERO effect on what i pay for insurance, there was no increase last year and a small one the year before that, one of the smallest. What did happen is my coverage got better and some out of pocket expenses went down.

    My insurance is through my company and they already had good insurance.

    now the BEST insurance i ever had was with my first real job like 20 years ago, and insurance and costs have went up TREMENDOUSLY since then for me, way before ACA.

    So I am currently happy with "some of the improvements" of ACA . . . . .
    doesnt mean im happy with all of it though and im not

    But look at a story like lizzie's.
    For whatever reason its possible ACA affected her in the negative . . . . why?

    thats the question . . . why does it seem to have a good impact on me and did it possibly have a bad one on her . . . .

    does anybody get it yet? THAT is the root of the problem . . . .

    there is ZERO conformity . . . ACA put SOME conformities in place and took some away also . . .
    why is that?

    thats exactly how it SHOULD NOT BE IMO

    why when i got one of my surgeries it was like 32K but if i would have gotten it other places, one hospital literally down the street it would have been as high as 112K?!?!?!?!??!

    when my daughter need a knee brace, TWICE . . why was the initial doctors visit 30$ co pay and "follow ups were free" and II had to pay 20$ for the brace and nothing for the therapy . . . . .

    then later through a different facility it was 30$ each time, didn't matter, 120 for the brace and it was 30 per therapy?

    NOTHING CHANGED . . . not my insurance not ACA etc . . just different providers . . .. that is the crap that is unacceptable . . . .

    IMO if me and Lizze both break our right leg and go through the same healing time and medical process no matter where we go the cost should at least hoover around same for us and it DOES NOT . . .thats what the issue is . . . .

    if me and lizze both hav condition Z and need pill X twice a day then that coast should be around the same not up to 800% different at times, places providers

    thats where the regulation needs to be . . . .

    its crap that in the US a person like me or izzy could have a kid get hurt playing, something simply like a broken leg that needs minor surgery and therapy and theres risk of huge debt or loss of house, bankruptcy etc etc

    the medical CARE industry should not be so much about profit . . . of course profits need to be made in general and certainly in some areas, research, new inventions etc but not so much in the direct care . . .

    Im not a 100% fan of ACA but what i do like about it is we are at least TRYING something instead of folding . . . the medical care system was BROKEN in that regard and we are trying . . . now we have to KEEP trying . . . I have no clue what all the pros and cons will be with ACA but at least its something and the conversation will last my whole life time . . . that alone makes me happy in ways because its not an easy fix


    all insurances should be nation wide and it should be accepted EVERYWHERE . . . . thats step one . . . . .and its a HUGE, near impossible task because of the broken system we already use but thats what needs done first and foremost . . .

    ok lol. . . .
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #63
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,941

    Re: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by azgreg View Post
    Let's look at what I'm going through right now and then you tell me. I'm suffering from adhesion capsulitis in my right shoulder commonly known as frozen shoulder. Hurts like a bitch. Trip to the specialist cost $60 for him to tell me what I already knew. Had to schedule an appointment for treatment (which I expected to get in the first visit). The visit for a cortisone shot cost me $200 towards my deductible. The same issue a couple of years ago was far less.
    Just an FYI:

    I had a frozen shoulder after surgery for torn rotator cuff. The doctor wanted to " unfreeze " the shoulder by putting me and force the shoulder to move( tearing the scar tissue I assume ). I read up frozen shoulders and found out that most the time the frozen shoulder will go away on its own within a year so I said I wait out the year and see.

    Sure enough about 10 or 11 months it was gone. I now have full mobile of that shoulder.
    I still have some pain from the rotator cuff surgery but I am glad I did not procedure to " unfreeze" the shoulder.
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  4. #64
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,941

    Re: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    In my entire adult working life, I've never had premiums go up like they did this year, and I've never had such a high deductible/ OOP. It's ridiculous what I am paying for someone who doesn't use insurance, nor take any prescription drugs. I don't even have high blood pressure.
    Sorry your cost increased so much.
    You may have changed age "bands"

    Insurers can still charge higher rates to older individual policyholders, but the ratios, or "bands," by which age-based rates can differ have been reduced to 3:1 (charging an adult age 64 years or older more than three times the premium they charge a 21-year-old for the same policy) from 5:1 under the ( before ACA) practices.
    Last edited by minnie616; 02-06-15 at 08:15 AM.
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  5. #65
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

    No benefit for either of us. Wife and I are on the same insurance we've been on since we got these jobs.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  6. #66
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,962

    Re: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    On the way home I had a far out experience. I had to stop and pick up some birth control pills. Because of an error, they had not put it on the insurance, so originally they were going to charge me about $125. However, when they realized they needed to put it on my insurance, IT TURNED OUT THE PILLS WERE FREE AND I DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY ANYTHING!!!! MAN WAS I HAPPY!!! The pharmacist informed me that the pills were free because of the Affordable Care Act.

    Not only that, but I have a daughter who just got out of grad school. Because of the ACA she is able to be on my insurance until she finds a job. That is a very great benefit for her.

    Bottom line is that, I must really thank Obama. He has actually helped me. He actually saved me $125 today!!!

    The thing is this, Obama said he wanted to do things to make a difference in the lives of middle class people like me. Man did I really feel it in my pocket. I really had not noticed it before, but Obama has made a difference! I guess this kind of thing would be meaningless to a rich person, but these things actually mean something to me.

    Way to go Barack Obama!!!!!

    I still don't take back all the bad stuff I have said about him tho!!!
    You're a middle aged man, and you're picking up "some birth control pills"? What doctor is prescribing birth control pills to a middle aged man?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #67
    stb
    Nilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Beantown
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 09:17 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    6,217

    Re: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    On the way home I had a far out experience. I had to stop and pick up some birth control pills. Because of an error, they had not put it on the insurance, so originally they were going to charge me about $125. However, when they realized they needed to put it on my insurance, IT TURNED OUT THE PILLS WERE FREE AND I DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY ANYTHING!!!! MAN WAS I HAPPY!!! The pharmacist informed me that the pills were free because of the Affordable Care Act.

    Not only that, but I have a daughter who just got out of grad school. Because of the ACA she is able to be on my insurance until she finds a job. That is a very great benefit for her.

    Bottom line is that, I must really thank Obama. He has actually helped me. He actually saved me $125 today!!!

    The thing is this, Obama said he wanted to do things to make a difference in the lives of middle class people like me. Man did I really feel it in my pocket. I really had not noticed it before, but Obama has made a difference! I guess this kind of thing would be meaningless to a rich person, but these things actually mean something to me.

    Way to go Barack Obama!!!!!

    I still don't take back all the bad stuff I have said about him tho!!!
    Aca has meant I'm covered under my parents plan which is nice, particularly as I currently have tens of thousands of student debt hanging over my head
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    You're a middle aged man, and you're picking up "some birth control pills"? What doctor is prescribing birth control pills to a middle aged man?

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilly View Post
    Aca has meant I'm covered under my parents plan which is nice, particularly as I currently have tens of thousands of student debt hanging over my head
    I bet that is nice. As I said my daughter just got out of grad school last semester so she is able to benefit from being on my plan.

    Seriously, I haven't seen any noticeable difference in my personal situation as a result of who has been President.

    For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of the President of the United States!

  10. #70
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,962

    Re: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Why is that amusing? You say you're a man. You say you have a daughter who is out of grad school (making her at least 25, making you middle aged). What birth control pills is your doctor prescribing to you, a middle aged man?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •