View Poll Results: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

Voters
419. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    362 86.40%
  • No

    57 13.60%
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 233

Thread: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

  1. #41
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    How so?
    Cost.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #42
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I'm sorry. Like I said, I really should not have responded like that. Then I wonder why it happens that I get the bad karma for offending people that I don't mean to. I need to constantly check myself.
    No worries. So. Who do you think paid for your birth control pills?

  3. #43
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    my reaction is only that not-paying-at-the-point-of-purchase is not the same as not paying for something. If insurance is forced to cover 100% of an item, all that means is that 100% of the costs of that item with increased demand (since it is now "free", after all, right?) is rolled into premiums.


    It's like putting something on layaway, paying installments for it for months, and then dancing at the end as though you got it for free. No. You just prepaid for it.
    That's absolutely correct. Insurance isn't intended to save us money, it's only purpose is to spread risk.

    But, one of the biggest complaints I have heard is that people are now paying for coverage for things that they don't need. The reality is that if you don't need something, and aren't likely to use that particular benefit, it doesn't really cost the insurance anything extra, thus no costs are passed on to the consumer. Like I believe that technically, under Obamacare I may be covered for pregnacy, even those I am a male. The insurance company is quite aware that I can't get pregnant, thus this coverage doesn't actually cost me anything extra. Likewise, my wife's policy covers her for penis cancer, which she can't get, and thus it doesn't really add anything to the cost of her insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  4. #44
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Cost.
    Doesn't insurance go up every year? This didn't just start happening under Obama. Do you have employer provided insurance, or do you purchase your on plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  5. #45
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    No worries. So. Who do you think paid for your birth control pills?
    Obama paid for it out of his stash. JK
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  6. #46
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Doesn't insurance go up every year? This didn't just start happening under Obama. Do you have employer provided insurance, or do you purchase your on plan?
    In my entire adult working life, I've never had premiums go up like they did this year, and I've never had such a high deductible/ OOP. It's ridiculous what I am paying for someone who doesn't use insurance, nor take any prescription drugs. I don't even have high blood pressure.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    No worries. So. Who do you think paid for your birth control pills?
    Let me ask you something. Let's suppose that from the beginning of the year up until the moment that I got the pills that I had incurred $75000 in medical expenses. Now my premiums are $300 a month or $3600 a year. Under that scenario, who paid for the pills?

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Obama paid for it out of his stash. JK
    Dang!!! Obama is the man!!! Do you think he will buy me a new Porsche too?

  9. #49
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    That's absolutely correct. Insurance isn't intended to save us money, it's only purpose is to spread risk.

    But, one of the biggest complaints I have heard is that people are now paying for coverage for things that they don't need. The reality is that if you don't need something, and aren't likely to use that particular benefit, it doesn't really cost the insurance anything extra, thus no costs are passed on to the consumer.
    That is correct.

    Unless, of course, you have community rating, and don't allow the companies to differentiate what they charge people.

    ....sort of like what the ACA does....

  10. #50
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball

    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,144

    Re: Have you or a family member benefited from the Affordable Care Act?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    In my entire adult working life, I've never had premiums go up like they did this year, and I've never had such a high deductible/ OOP. It's ridiculous what I am paying for someone who doesn't use insurance, nor take any prescription drugs. I don't even have high blood pressure.
    Healthcare cost keep going up you will.
    I have CDO, it's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •