View Poll Results: Legal Weed: For or Against

Voters
313. You may not vote on this poll
  • Conservative for

    81 25.88%
  • Conservative against

    8 2.56%
  • Liberal for

    93 29.71%
  • Liberal against

    8 2.56%
  • Independent for

    83 26.52%
  • Independent against

    5 1.60%
  • Conservative, Medicinal only

    30 9.58%
  • Liberal, Medicinal only

    4 1.28%
  • Independent, Medicinal only

    6 1.92%
  • Ire, Ire

    5 1.60%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 261

Thread: National Legalization of Marijuana [W:237]

  1. #111
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: National Legalization of Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    no legalization

    period.
    How very Libertarian of you.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #112
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,847

    Re: National Legalization of Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    So should we legalize everything and anything then?

    I mean, where does your logic end? If criminalization invites crime, what should remain illegal, if anything?
    If I thought we could obtain similar results to Portugal, decriminalize/legalize them all. Drug use by young people went DOWN. Treatment went WAY UP. That's what we want.

    Basically, I have no feelings about the morality of drug use. Everyone in my family uses the drug alcohol (although I no longer do). That's fine with me, and fine with the vast majority of Americans. Alcohol users make a legitimate choice to get high. Why is any other drug different? So our drug policy should be based on the evidence of what works and what does not, and I can't look at the Drug War and find ANY area in which we can judge the Drug War to have succeeded, unless jailing more people, and more per capita, than any country on the planet is one of our goals.

  3. #113
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,847

    Re: National Legalization of Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    And marijuana harms people. Young people.
    The point is that observation doesn't tell us whether the War on Drugs lessens the harm.

    It harms some young people, but everyone I knew in college including me smoked pot at least once, several on a more or less regular basis, and not one were harmed by pot.

    But I can make a long list of those I know who have DIED because of alcohol. So this is clearly true: "Alcohol harms people. Young people." And yet it's legal, because prohibition caused more problems than it solved.

    I'm not going to feel sorry for drug dealers and gangsters who feel they are "harmed" by being jailed for breaking the law. My sympathy is reserved for the kids they sell their poison to.
    But you're OK with drug dealers and gangsters who sell the drug alcohol? One of them was the GOP nominee for POTUS, and per CDC, alcohol kills 88,000 per year. Shouldn't we also jail the gangster McCain who sells poison to kids?

    There were about 40,000 deaths from drug overdoses. Most of those (at least 55%) were manufactured by pharmaceutical companies. Shouldn't we shut down their drug labs and jail the kingpins making that poison?

    Etc.

  4. #114
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,459
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: National Legalization of Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    You ok with lauding them when they do something right? I'm guessing not since you've never done it. Cops should be flawless in what they do? If only they'd hurry up that robot army of cops because, as long as they're human, there'll be screw ups.
    I absolutely have taken their side a couple of times here.

    And I never said I expect perfection. What I object to is departments refusing to sanction officers who actually misbehave.

    We get punished when we **** up, even by mistake. So simple justice should require that those charged with catching us for punishment ALSO be punished when they fu k up.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  5. #115
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: National Legalization of Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    It will be a presidential campaign issue in 2016. Where do you stand on the issue?
    Thank you for including the independent option.

    I voted for legalization. It is time to end another failed prohibition.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  6. #116
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: National Legalization of Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    I absolutely have taken their side a couple of times here.

    And I never said I expect perfection. What I object to is departments refusing to sanction officers who actually misbehave.

    We get punished when we **** up, even by mistake. So simple justice should require that those charged with catching us for punishment ALSO be punished when they fu k up.
    Ok, I actually don't doubt you. There's a ton I disagree with you on but, in my experience, you've always been a pretty straight forward guy.

    I think police departments, especially smaller ones can, indeed, circle the wagons and be non responsive when there are legit concerns. By the same token, lots of cops in the bigger departments don't feel their brass has their back and become overly responsive to complaints. Let's face it, a cop could do their job perfectly and folks will still complain and those that criticize them at every turn will always jump on the chance regardless of the facts. In fact I saw several times people argue the facts surrounding Brown's shooting were actually irrelevant. I think this contributes to that "code of silence" because most cops think, "well, I could be the next target of some witch hunt."

  7. #117
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,459
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: National Legalization of Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Ok, I actually don't doubt you. There's a ton I disagree with you on but, in my experience, you've always been a pretty straight forward guy.

    I think police departments, especially smaller ones can, indeed, circle the wagons and be non responsive when there are legit concerns. By the same token, lots of cops in the bigger departments don't feel their brass has their back and become overly responsive to complaints. Let's face it, a cop could do their job perfectly and folks will still complain and those that criticize them at every turn will always jump on the chance regardless of the facts. In fact I saw several times people argue the facts surrounding Brown's shooting were actually irrelevant. I think this contributes to that "code of silence" because most cops think, "well, I could be the next target of some witch hunt."
    I actually talked about this phenomenon with a senior officer in LA.

    She explained that a big part of it is about public perception. That if departments acknowledge wrongdoing it erodes public confidence and increases complaints/accusations. A PR thing, in other words.

    IME, it creates permanent hostility/distrust in those who witness gross misbehavior and see NO repercussions for the officer(s) involved.

    Its just bad for everybody.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  8. #118
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,484

    Re: National Legalization of Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Exactly. Until it is not banned by the feds, it is not legal.
    Not even close to what I said
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  9. #119
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: National Legalization of Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Liberty is liberty, the consequence of 'we the people' enjoying freedom is the only relevant metric. I mean we could say that X activity causes a social and economic cost. But that turns into a slippery slope that can lead to zero liberty and freedoms.

    Excessive taxes shouldnt be horded by the government, they should be returned to tax payers so IF the funds are needed later they can be paid by the growing tax payer base.
    Ah...so we disagree then.

  10. #120
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,501
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: National Legalization of Marijuana

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Awesome. At least you're consistent. And I'm glad you have no political power, because that would be quite a scary world to live in. A world in which countless people are addicted to heroin and all other sorts of drugs.
    How's your consistency? Should alcohol be illegal again?
    It's a common worry that legalization of drugs would lead to massive increase in abuse and addiction but addiction is a bigger problem now than it was before prohibition. In Portugal, they decriminalized drugs about 14 years ago and the addiction rate dropped.

    Ten Years After Decriminalization, Drug Abuse Down by Half in Portugal - Forbes
    "Ten years ago, Portugal decriminalized all drugs. One decade after this unprecedented experiment, drug abuse is down by half:"

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    You know that drug addicts are many times more likely to commit serious crimes than non drug addicts?

    That said, I don't even think cigarettes should be legal.
    Drug addicts commit crimes because the drug they're addicted to is very expensive. I say, give addicts their drug, or sell it to them very cheap. The drug problem isn't that some losers are wasting their lives, the problem is they're stealing from you and me to do it. Prohibition hasn't worked at all- I doubt even one person is deterred from trying drugs because of the laws against it. Let's try a different solution.
    And let's make very sure we're not trying to legislate morality.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •