View Poll Results: Is this cartoon racist?

Voters
1080. You may not vote on this poll
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 266

Thread: Is this cartoon racist?

  1. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is this cartoon racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    I'm not at all offended; I was just confused by the wording. It's all good.
    Good. I was a little perturbed because it seems like I am constantly offending even people that I like unintentionally. All good tho!!!!

  2. #192
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Is this cartoon racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Yeah, I get the joke. Got it right away. Still, a black man with a chocolate touch (something black) that then turns to **** (something blackish) wreaks of veiled racism to me... The joke could have been made with anything really and when the guy sniffs whatever that was and says, "that doesn't smell like vanilla/jasmine/whatever to me" it would have the same effect.
    No bodi, you didn't "get the joke", given you crazily believe that somehow the joke would still work if Obama thought it was "Vanilla" instead.

    No it couldn't, because that makes no visible sense why Obama would be MISTAKING it for chocolate. It didn't turn to chocolate and ]b]THEN[/b] turn to ****, and he didn't have the "chocolate touch". The "turn to ****" was the immediete thing. What he has was the ability that everything he touches goes to ****. The entire point was that he was oblivious to this, convincing himself that the **** was really chocolate.

    That doesn't work with Vanilla....Vanilla has no history in comedy for being confused for ****, or vise versa, because **** isn't white in color, which typically vanilla is depicted as. Same goes for "jasmine" or anything else. The entire joke is playing up on the fact that chocolate/**** are routinely confused comedically, explaining Obama's delusional view that what he's done was create "chocolate" when the other people in the panel are meant to show the reality of things by suggesting it's ****.

    It's essentially going with an "emperor's new clothes" notion, where Obama is the oblivious emperor that thinks he's in beautiful clothes and the other people there are the ones revealing the truth.

    So basically, your argument is that despite NOTHING in the comic directly suggesting in any fashion that it's race based, and despite the fact that the word chocolate literally meaning "chocolate" makes COMPLETE sense from a comedic stance, and despite the fact that you could put a white president in there doing the same thing and change NOTHING ELSE and there wouldn't even be a QUESTION about what it's suggesting, the fact that chocolate can at times be used to reference black people means it's racist.

    **** it. With that kind of "logic" I may as well go try to have a legitimate conversation about race with my wall, I'll have about as much success. This is about as fruitful and roughly as obnoxious as trying to have a conversation about race with a Westboro member.

  3. #193
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,020

    Re: Is this cartoon racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    No bodi, you didn't "get the joke", given you crazily believe that somehow the joke would still work if Obama thought it was "Vanilla" instead.

    No it couldn't, because that makes no visible sense why Obama would be MISTAKING it for chocolate. It didn't turn to chocolate and ]b]THEN[/b] turn to ****, and he didn't have the "chocolate touch". The "turn to ****" was the immediete thing. What he has was the ability that everything he touches goes to ****. The entire point was that he was oblivious to this, convincing himself that the **** was really chocolate.

    That doesn't work with Vanilla....Vanilla has no history in comedy for being confused for ****, or vise versa, because **** isn't white in color, which typically vanilla is depicted as. Same goes for "jasmine" or anything else. The entire joke is playing up on the fact that chocolate/**** are routinely confused comedically, explaining Obama's delusional view that what he's done was create "chocolate" when the other people in the panel are meant to show the reality of things by suggesting it's ****.

    It's essentially going with an "emperor's new clothes" notion, where Obama is the oblivious emperor that thinks he's in beautiful clothes and the other people there are the ones revealing the truth.

    So basically, your argument is that despite NOTHING in the comic directly suggesting in any fashion that it's race based, and despite the fact that the word chocolate literally meaning "chocolate" makes COMPLETE sense from a comedic stance, and despite the fact that you could put a white president in there doing the same thing and change NOTHING ELSE and there wouldn't even be a QUESTION about what it's suggesting, the fact that chocolate can at times be used to reference black people means it's racist.

    **** it. With that kind of "logic" I may as well go try to have a legitimate conversation about race with my wall, I'll have about as much success. This is about as fruitful and roughly as obnoxious as trying to have a conversation about race with a Westboro member.
    Thanks for telling me what I think/know and insulting my logic... makes you right, as anybody that understands that type of debating style knows...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  4. #194
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Is this cartoon racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I don't see any racism. I actually found it quite funny even though I'm a Democrat and dislike George Will.
    That's interesting because I thought it was lame and not funny. Not offensive or anything and not racist, just not humorous.

  5. #195
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Is this cartoon racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Thanks for telling me what I think/know and insulting my logic... makes you right, as anybody that understands that type of debating style knows...
    Oh I don't know...could it be because my actual detailed response to your initial problematic claim was met with a mocking comment about it's length, a claim that what I stated was "obvious" followed by you immediately returning your previously flawed suggestion (that he had the "chocolate touch") without a single comment about the argument I made in my post.

    I attempted to engage you about your claim and my disagreement with it with actual factual sourced information. You mocked it, ignored it, and continued forward with your same exact logic without. At that point you showed you had zero actual desire to discuss your assertions and the logic about it, so there was little left to do other than to highlight the absurdity of said logic.

    The comic was not suggesting Obama had, or ever had, the "chocolate touch". The notion of a "chocolate touch" is practically unheard of. It was a delusion on the part of the Obama character, as demonstrated by the "observers" in the comic explaining that it really wasn't "chocolate". The comic's message clearly was suggesting that Obama had the power that everything he touch turned to ****...something that ACTUALLY has a history of being a phrase/concept.

  6. #196
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,020

    Re: Is this cartoon racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Oh I don't know...could it be because my actual detailed response to your initial problematic claim was met with a mocking comment about it's length, a claim that what I stated was "obvious" followed by you immediately returning your previously flawed suggestion (that he had the "chocolate touch") without a single comment about the argument I made in my post.

    I attempted to engage you about your claim and my disagreement with it with actual factual sourced information. You mocked it, ignored it, and continued forward with your same exact logic without. At that point you showed you had zero actual desire to discuss your assertions and the logic about it, so there was little left to do other than to highlight the absurdity of said logic.
    I apologize if you took my comments as mocking... it was genuine friendly banter meant with a "woah bro!" kind of silliness. Maybe that will change your conclusions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #197
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Is this cartoon racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I apologize if you took my comments as mocking... it was genuine friendly banter meant with a "woah bro!" kind of silliness. Maybe that will change your conclusions?
    Sure, if you'd take any time to actually respond to the arguments I made.

    Is there any kind of examples you can provide of a notion of a "chocolate touch" outside of this?

    How exactly to you square away the idea that the comic was actually suggesting he had a "chocolate touch" as opposed to the ability that "Everything he touches turns to ****" given that the former is basically unheard of while the later has a long history as a phrase/notion? Specifically given the observers in the comic clearly suggesting the items were actually made of ****, not chocolate?

    How exactly would the joke have had the "Same effect" had Obama been erroneously claiming that he had a "vanilla touch"? Do you have any examples in any form of media for vanilla being mistaken for poo, or vise versa?

    If the joke would have had the "same effect" had Obama been erroneously claiming claiming that he had a "vanilla touch", would you be suggesting that the items should have been shaded in a color normally associated with vanilla (somewhere on the scale of white to yellow cream)?

    If so, exactly how do you think the "sniff sniff, I don't think that's chocolate" joke would've had the "same effect" when the primary reason why the unsaid conclusion of poo is reached is because 1) the color is the same as poo 2) there's a long history in comedy of conflating the two.

    If not, then how exactly do you think the joke would've made sense that Obama was confusing his ability as the "vanilla touch" when the items in question look nothing like anything related to "vanilla"?

    When I gave you a completely sourced post, full of examples and explanations, and you basically just shrug it off, repeat your exact same argument, and not say one word about anything I put forward....yeah, the "woah bro" kind of silliness doesn't come off as rather benign.

  8. #198
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,020

    Re: Is this cartoon racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Sure, if you'd take any time to actually respond to the arguments I made.

    Is there any kind of examples you can provide of a notion of a "chocolate touch" outside of this?

    How exactly to you square away the idea that the comic was actually suggesting he had a "chocolate touch" as opposed to the ability that "Everything he touches turns to ****" given that the former is basically unheard of while the later has a long history as a phrase/notion? Specifically given the observers in the comic clearly suggesting the items were actually made of ****, not chocolate?

    How exactly would the joke have had the "Same effect" had Obama been erroneously claiming that he had a "vanilla touch"? Do you have any examples in any form of media for vanilla being mistaken for poo, or vise versa?

    If the joke would have had the "same effect" had Obama been erroneously claiming claiming that he had a "vanilla touch", would you be suggesting that the items should have been shaded in a color normally associated with vanilla (somewhere on the scale of white to yellow cream)?

    If so, exactly how do you think the "sniff sniff, I don't think that's chocolate" joke would've had the "same effect" when the primary reason why the unsaid conclusion of poo is reached is because 1) the color is the same as poo 2) there's a long history in comedy of conflating the two.

    If not, then how exactly do you think the joke would've made sense that Obama was confusing his ability as the "vanilla touch" when the items in question look nothing like anything related to "vanilla"?

    When I gave you a completely sourced post, full of examples and explanations, and you basically just shrug it off, repeat your exact same argument, and not say one word about anything I put forward....yeah, the "woah bro" kind of silliness doesn't come off as rather benign.
    Because I don't want to have some full drawn out multi-paragraph debate over it... chocolate is a term that can and has been associated with black people, although not as much as fried chicken or watermelon. I see a black man turning things into dark chocolate and I see Uncle Remus and Tar Baby, or something close. Sure, that works best with **** but it is also a racist reference as there is no reference to a chocolate touch (so I am not sure why you asked me to provide examples as I do not believe there are any).

    Smells of racism to me... plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #199
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,776

    Re: Is this cartoon racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Because I don't want to have some full drawn out multi-paragraph debate over it... chocolate is a term that can and has been associated with black people, although not as much as fried chicken or watermelon. I see a black man turning things into dark chocolate and I see Uncle Remus and Tar Baby, or something close. Sure, that works best with **** but it is also a racist reference as there is no reference to a chocolate touch (so I am not sure why you asked me to provide examples as I do not believe there are any).

    Smells of racism to me... plain and simple.
    Although my view is that the cartoon is not overtly racist--maybe better stated, there is reasonable doubt that it may not be racist-- I can appreciate the argument that it is.

  10. #200
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Is this cartoon racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Because I don't want to have some full drawn out multi-paragraph debate over it
    Gotcha. Then when you want to make a claim, but refuse to actually defend your claim, then you shouldn't be surprised if people then critize the logic and reasoning you use because you provide them with no reason to come to any other conclussion given the fact that you won't even defend the things they claim are flaws in your logic.

    Unless you've finally been the one to discover how to have your cake and eat it too.

    It's fine if you don't want to have a debate over your view point; just don't be shocked when people don't actually hold your view point in any real regard.

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •