View Poll Results: Is this cartoon racist?

Voters
1080. You may not vote on this poll
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 266

Thread: Is this cartoon racist?

  1. #101
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Is this cartoon racist?

    If by racist, you mean pointing out that everything he touches turn to s***, then yes :P
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  2. #102
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,104

    Re: Is this cartoon racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    That is your opinion only. Please don't pontificate.
    Oh, the irony

  3. #103
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,104

    Re: Is this cartoon racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Nearly correct. People use the term "racist" as an I win button. If they can label some one as racist, they do not have to argue their politics. It is used alot by people of both sides. The connection is poor debate skill, not ideology.
    I would agree with this, and only throw that this tactic is not limited to "racist" accusations, but to "sexist", "homophobic", "socialist", and no doubt others I am not thinking of.

  4. #104
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is this cartoon racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I would agree with this, and only throw that this tactic is not limited to "racist" accusations, but to "sexist", "homophobic", "socialist", and no doubt others I am not thinking of.
    Do I win something for having been called them all? My favorite though was the being called racist by both sides of the Brown shooting thing.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #105
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: Is this cartoon racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Or someone who is aware that Black skin color is sometimes referred to as "chocolate" and that anti-Black racists have historically compared Black skin color to feces. While I share your perspective that the cartoon is not racist, there is certainly historical precedence for taking the opposite view.
    I disagree with FreedomFromAll. It's possible to see that cartoon as racist IF one was given additional context surrounding it to reasonably conclude that the message was not the most blatant and obvious one.

    HOWEVER...

    Sans additional context, there's absolutely ZERO ways to rationally claim that said cartoon is inherently "racist" in it's message or intent. You could claim it MIGHT be racist, but even then that'd be a rather difficult position to strongly back up given the amount of assumptions the person would have to use to justify the logical leaps needed to make it racist in nature.

  6. #106
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is this cartoon racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I disagree with FreedomFromAll. It's possible to see that cartoon as racist IF one was given additional context surrounding it to reasonably conclude that the message was not the most blatant and obvious one.

    HOWEVER...

    Sans additional context, there's absolutely ZERO ways to rationally claim that said cartoon is inherently "racist" in it's message or intent. You could claim it MIGHT be racist, but even then that'd be a rather difficult position to strongly back up given the amount of assumptions the person would have to use to justify the logical leaps needed to make it racist in nature.
    Like I told MildSteel, I don't see the cartoon as racist because of both the convenience of contrasting chocolate and feces to make a point and the fact that the cartoon's message does not rely on Obama's race could easily be used with a White politician. But like I also said to him, because modern racism relies on subtlety and plausible deniability, I understand his position. While I agree with your conclusion that the cartoon is not racist, I'm not inspired to dismiss the opposing view as passionately as you because I know how insidious and harmful the plausible deniability factor of modern racism can be.

  7. #107
    One with the Force
    LaylaWindu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    PA
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,964

    Re: Is this cartoon racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Some time ago this cartoon appeared with a George Will column. Is this cartoon racist?

    Attachment 67180002
    Of course not, where wold be the racist part?

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Last Seen
    06-29-15 @ 04:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    323

    Re: Is this cartoon racist?

    Is this cartoon racist?-birthers-forgot-racism-jpg

  9. #109
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: Is this cartoon racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Like I told MildSteel, I don't see the cartoon as racist because of both the convenience of contrasting chocolate and feces to make a point and the fact that the cartoon's message does not rely on Obama's race could easily be used with a White politician. But like I also said to him, because modern racism relies on subtlety and plausible deniability, I understand his position. While I agree with your conclusion that the cartoon is not racist, I'm not inspired to dismiss the opposing view as passionately as you because I know how insidious and harmful the plausible deniability factor of modern racism can be.
    And that's where I do not agree. I can't not possibly see how someone can claim it IS racist. Mildsteel is making an affirmative, definitive statement about something without any factual evidence to his statement.

    The POTENTIAL for it to be racist does not inherently make it racist.

    The statement "The pot calling the kettle black" is not inherently racist. It has the POTENTIAL to be stated in a racist fashion, but it would only be so with substantial surrounding context indicating it is. In and of itself, the statement is not inherently racist as it has a clear and direct meaning that has nothing to do with race. It is ONLY by adding additional assumptions and context that one could try and claim it's racist.

    That particular cartoon, inherently sans any additional content, can not reasonably be stated as being racist. It has the POTENTIAL to be, at best. Sans additional context, the clear and direct meaning of that cartoon is plainly obvious and clear. It is only through additional assumptions and intent, done without ANY factual evidence suggesting they are present, that one could possibly claim that the cartoon is racist. That suggests then that the cartoon itself is not inherently racist, but rather in such a case that the individual creating it is and his intent behind the cartoon is.

    It is impossible to claim that the cartoon is inherently "racist" WITHOUT piling additional assumptions on top of it, assumptions that at this point are completely baseless and unsupported by any actual connecting facts as it relates to this specific cartoon

  10. #110
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,104

    Re: Is this cartoon racist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Do I win something for having been called them all? My favorite though was the being called racist by both sides of the Brown shooting thing.
    Are you really racist if you hate everyone?

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •