View Poll Results: Which is better, a multi polar world or a nuclear war?

Voters
710. You may not vote on this poll
  • Multi-Polar World

    458 64.51%
  • Nuclear War

    252 35.49%
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 157

Thread: Which is better, a multi polar world or a nuclear war?

  1. #11
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Which is better, a multi polar world or a nuclear war?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    This is a stupid question for two reasons.

    1. Because only a crazy person is going to choose a nuclear war.
    2. Because the two are not mutually exclusive.
    Or the only options. The most peaceful (brief) period we've had in recent history was when the world was in a unipolar moment. Now we look at the conflicts fomented around a rising Russia, a rising Iran, the tensions in the east and south china sea's, and do we really think that multipolarity, which multiple powers each assured of their own strength and competing for influence is more stable?

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Which is better, a multi polar world or a nuclear war?

    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleχity View Post
    It is a stupid question.
    You have demonstrated exactly why it is not a stupid question.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Which is better, a multi polar world or a nuclear war?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    If you had the choice between ONLY two things, a multi-polar world in which the US shared power with other countries or a nuclear war, which would you prefer?
    Not a stupid question at all. In fact, I was thinking of this today.

    I believe nuclear war is inevitable. Much like mankind transitioned from the Bronze Age to the Iron Age, We are currently in an era of transition from the carbon age to a nuclear age.

    The only thing holding man back is fear. Fear of the power that nuclear energy carries with it. Fear of nuclear war, meltdowns, etc. That fear manifests itself in to political policy - anti proliferation is a current global theme and one upon which is placed perhaps more weight than any other geopolitical issue.

    However, what we must understand is that, as man transitioned from bronze to iron, so too is the transition to a nuclear world inevitable. Progress can never be stopped, if history teaches us anything.

    In other words, nuclear power is a genie that cannot be put back in its bottle, in spite of our fears or political efforts.

    Proliferation is inevitable. The only question is how long it can be delayed. The nations of the Middle East will go nuclear, as will the Asian nations. One day, every nation on earth will have access to nuclear technology.

    The question is then, how do we learn to exist in such an environment??

    I believe very strongly that we will have to settle our differences one way or the other. We could do this peacefully, but if history is any teacher for us, more likely our differences will be settled by war.

    I believe what divides us more than anything else is ego, thirst for power, and religion. I believe a holy war is inevitable. Islam will clash with the rest of the world, and the question will ultimately need to be settled.

    I think the upshot of such a conflict could go one of two ways. Either, in the ashes of such a war, we do find a new equilibrium and mankind learns to forge ahead in a new, nuclear world, or the war will cripple us to such an extent that we are sent back to the Stone Age.

    Either way, I believe these things are coming. I believe a multipolar world in the nuclear age will prove impossible, and that ultimately, this is a game from which some unified ideology needs to emerge victorious.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Which is better, a multi polar world or a nuclear war?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Not a stupid question at all. In fact, I was thinking of this today.

    I believe nuclear war is inevitable. Much like mankind transitioned from the Bronze Age to the Iron Age, We are currently in an era of transition from the carbon age to a nuclear age.

    The only thing holding man back is fear. Fear of the power that nuclear energy carries with it. Fear of nuclear war, meltdowns, etc. That fear manifests itself in to political policy - anti proliferation is a current global theme and one upon which is placed perhaps more weight than any other geopolitical issue.

    However, what we must understand is that, as man transitioned from bronze to iron, so too is the transition to a nuclear world inevitable. Progress can never be stopped, if history teaches us anything.

    In other words, nuclear power is a genie that cannot be put back in its bottle, in spite of our fears or political efforts.

    Proliferation is inevitable. The only question is how long it can be delayed. The nations of the Middle East will go nuclear, as will the Asian nations. One day, every nation on earth will have access to nuclear technology.

    The question is then, how do we learn to exist in such an environment??

    I believe very strongly that we will have to settle our differences one way or the other. We could do this peacefully, but if history is any teacher for us, more likely our differences will be settled by war.

    I believe what divides us more than anything else is ego, thirst for power, and religion. I believe a holy war is inevitable. Islam will clash with the rest of the world, and the question will ultimately need to be settled.

    I think the upshot of such a conflict could go one of two ways. Either, in the ashes of such a war, we do find a new equilibrium and mankind learns to forge ahead in a new, nuclear world, or the war will cripple us to such an extent that we are sent back to the Stone Age.

    Either way, I believe these things are coming. I believe a multipolar world in the nuclear age will prove impossible, and that ultimately, this is a game from which some unified ideology needs to emerge victorious.
    An excellent post!!!!

    Thank you very, very much for that!!!!

  5. #15
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Which is better, a multi polar world or a nuclear war?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    If you had the choice between ONLY two things, a multi-polar world in which the US shared power with other countries or a nuclear war, which would you prefer?
    Depends which pole I'm under. If I live without personal liberty id probably choose death one way or another.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Which is better, a multi polar world or a nuclear war?

    Some background. I posted this in another thread

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1064273295

  7. #17
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Which is better, a multi polar world or a nuclear war?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    This is a stupid question for two reasons.

    1. Because only a crazy person is going to choose a nuclear war.
    2. Because the two are not mutually exclusive.

    Stupid and silly - it reminds me of the Monty Python sketch; Take your pick given the silly choices.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #18
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,161

    Re: Which is better, a multi polar world or a nuclear war?

    I vote bi-polar....or not
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  9. #19
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,034

    Re: Which is better, a multi polar world or a nuclear war?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    If you had the choice between ONLY two things, a multi-polar world in which the US shared power with other countries or a nuclear war, which would you prefer?
    Hmmmmmmm.....a world in which we are not the world's single most powerful country, or being covered in radiation burns whilst gazing upon the end of civilization? Which to choose, which to choose...

    Do I get a hint?

  10. #20
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Which is better, a multi polar world or a nuclear war?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    If you had the choice between ONLY two things, a multi-polar world in which the US shared power with other countries or a nuclear war, which would you prefer?
    I am far more likely to be alive and have my family alive in a multi-polar world, so I choose that.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •