View Poll Results: Is the Obama Presidency proof that the U.S. is not ready for a black President?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 8.33%
  • No

    99 91.67%
Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 288

Thread: Is the Obama Presidency proof that the U.S. is not ready for a black Pres? [W:222]

  1. #231
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,700

    Re: Is the Obama Presidency proof that the U.S. is not ready for a black President?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Here you go

    Rep. Lamborn likens Obama to a “tar baby” - Salon.com



    And I don't want to hear any "he meant something else" crap.
    That comment is not about race, it's about the old "Uncle Remus" story. Your CHOICE to make it about race reflects YOUR racism, not his. You took the quote out of context and applied a highly biased interpretation of what it means.
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  2. #232
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,700

    Re: Is the Obama Presidency proof that the U.S. is not ready for a black President?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    If I say I like big booty girls, that is an opinion, is subjective, and the truth.
    Really???? You liking big booty girls is your opinion. The fact that it is your opinion is truth. Spin, spin, spin...
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  3. #233
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,573
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Is the Obama Presidency proof that the U.S. is not ready for a black President?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paxaeon View Post
    `
    Even if I'm wrong about race, your reply indicates I'm at least right about the "hate" part. Scary.
    How pathetic.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  4. #234
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is the Obama Presidency proof that the U.S. is not ready for a black President?

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Your CHOICE to make it about race reflects YOUR racism, not his.
    Perhaps your response reflects YOUR racism, not mine.

  5. #235
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is the Obama Presidency proof that the U.S. is not ready for a black President?

    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Really???? You liking big booty girls is your opinion. The fact that it is your opinion is truth. Spin, spin, spin...
    The fact that it is my opinion is indeed truth. It is also true that I like them.

  6. #236
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is the Obama Presidency proof that the U.S. is not ready for a black President?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I agree with you, Obama won because he was a superior candidate. He was superior to Hillary and far superior to McCain. I don't see any reason to deny, though, that his skin color helped him in 2008, but McCain was gonna lose no matter what color Obama was. I think many people voted for him because he was black, but I don't think it was decisive in either 2008 or 2012.
    I doubt that it helped him. As I said, the number is insignificant. There were likely as many who didn't vote for him due to his race as didn't.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #237
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is the Obama Presidency proof that the U.S. is not ready for a black President?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Your "observations" suggest rational discourse is not a goal you're interested in pursuing. Citing some unknown guy at a bank, or some people at a diner as proof of a universal truth even with your attempted disclaimer, is the definition of bigotry, which many who follow the same line of logic appear anxious to be associated with.
    Wasn't the only thing I mentioned, but part of a spectrum of clear signs.

    Calling out "liar" may have been a breach of decorum, but it's not proof of that which you claim.
    Actually it is. Doing something so disrespectful that had not been done before does in fact suggest what I claim.

    You've proved nothing other than to underscore the pathetic effort to use race as a foil against legitimate complaint and concern.
    Not at all. Complain about actual things he does and not wild birther stuff, or yelling you lie in a hall where lies are common, but talk issues, and I'm fine.

    By all means continue so others can see your claims positioned against those who risked so much to gain the equality and respect they should have had in the first place.
    You are way off the mark here.

    Shame on those who are too intellectually vacant that they would try to draw a connection and parallel.
    And here you're incoherent.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #238
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Is the Obama Presidency proof that the U.S. is not ready for a black President?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Wasn't the only thing I mentioned, but part of a spectrum of clear signs.



    Actually it is. Doing something so disrespectful that had not been done before does in fact suggest what I claim.

    I think reality has to be stretched so far to draw the conclusions you have, it's obvious what your agenda is.

    I think it's despicable. But as I've written, it's just more of the same from people desperate to avoid the truth.


  9. #239
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,700

    Re: Is the Obama Presidency proof that the U.S. is not ready for a black President?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Perhaps your response reflects YOUR racism, not mine.
    You have NOTHING to indicate that I'm racist and I have lots that indicates that you are. What you just engaged in is a little thing called "projection".
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  10. #240
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: Is the Obama Presidency proof that the U.S. is not ready for a black President?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I made no such excuses nor am I debating about why the Republicans lost the last 2 elections - nor is anyone else. Have you stumbled into the wrong thread?

    I was commenting on your incorrect claim that it was racist for jdubya to say that people voted for Obama only because he was black and it was an historic vote. The Republicans have nothing to do with what he posted, and they have nothing to do with what I posted. You're bringing them into this discussion, and you're dialoging with yourself about them.

    And your claim that I ever said or hinted that a "black man couldn't win on merit" is a lie, as evidenced by the fact I've said repeatedly that this country is ready for a black President. Don't make up things that aren't true. Obama won because people bought into his rhetoric. Pay attention....this gets tiresome when you make these trolls posts.

    Pay attention to the post you declared to be "racist" and read it again.
    I like this post because it fits right into the smoke and mirrors many folks try to use to camouflage their racial bias of America's 42nd President.

    You say America was ready for its first Black president, and state firmly (above) that a Black man could win the presidency on merit. Yet, when you denounce his "merits" (i.e., his community activism, his state and Federal Senatorial credentials) as if they mean far less than having "executive experience" from a govenorship and then add on other such denouncements as "he won because he was likable" or "people bought into his rhetoric" as the sole reasons why he was elected (TWICE), you effectively nullify your claim that merit matters. I bring you back to your previous post:

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    The Obama Presidency is proof that the country wasn't ready for an underqualified community organizer who was elected because of a rock star image instead of any legitimate leadership, economic, or foreign policy expertise.

    ... Obama isn't a failure because of his skin color, and his skin color isn't what caused him to fail.
    And yet there are clear indications to illustrate that he has succeeded. Maybe not to the degree that some would like, but there have been successes all the same. It's sad that some people just don't care to take notice.

    I'm not picking on you per sa. I'm merely using your above posts to illustrate how wrong so many of you are about "Black Presidential readiness" and leadership/qualification standards because if executive experience is the pathway to the presidency for a Black man in this country then we may never see another Black man in the WH for decades to come. Why? Because there have only been 5 Black governors in the history of this country and only 3 were ever elected to office. Moreover, throughout American history since the Civil War era, there have only been EIGHT African-Americans to every run for the presidency or even win presidential nomination for their party (mostly on the Democrat ticket):

    - Frederick Douglas
    - George Edwin Taylor
    - Shirley Chisholm
    - Jesse Jackson
    - Al Sharpton
    - Alan Keyes
    - Hermin Cain
    - Carol Moseley-Braun

    That's it! So, for African-Americans when we see someone who's not as dubious or duplicitous as Jesse or Sharpton and instead find someone who lived a "grass-roots lifestyle" similar to many of us, someone who grew up poor, can related not only to the problems many African-Americans have experienced but is very relate-able to people of all races and shows that he has a plan that if enacted could help resolve many of the nation's problems, YES!, absolutely such an individual gets my vote. And for the record, I never voted for Jesse, Sharpton, Keyes nor Cain - the only Black presidential candidates available to me during my lifetime to date. But Obama...damned right I voted for him - TWICE! Because he was Black AND qualified and he had a plan to move this country forward that IMO was better than the rest. Not perfect, just better.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •