Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: What Is Causing Police Corruption?

  1. #21
    Educator oncewas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ky.
    Last Seen
    10-11-16 @ 09:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    797

    Re: What Is Causing Police Corruption?

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    It seems that with the advent of the camera-phone, police are being shown to engage in criminal behavior far more frequently than ever before. I can only think of three things.

    1) Cameraphones affect a cop's brain causing them to be more corrupt when on film.

    2) Police have always had a high level of corruption, but cameraphones allows it to be caught on camera.

    3) The police departments have bloated budgets so they hire any droog off the street to fill their rosters.

    4) Cops have too much time on their hands and so they engage in corruption for excitement.
    All the above.


    It's not because John McCain doesn't care. It's because John McCain doesn't get it.
    Barack Obama
    At Democratic Party's Denver convention, August 2008.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: What Is Causing Police Corruption?

    Im probably going to catch **** for this one.... but I am just speaking from my experiences as both a "War on Terror" veteran and a former Police Officer....


    Some of it MAY have to do with the amount of combat veterans we are recruiting into police departments. Those combat veterans conducted operations in an environment where they treated the local population however they wished to do so, with a dominating sense of authority over them........

    Then they became police officers in your town. Conducting similar patrols......stopping people for similar activity...... and being taught how to "articulate" the reasons for their extra-4th amendment activities in their reports....





    Thats just my two cents.
    Die hard military supporters....go ahead... bring it.

  3. #23
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: What Is Causing Police Corruption?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Im probably going to catch **** for this one.... but I am just speaking from my experiences as both a "War on Terror" veteran and a former Police Officer....

    Some of it MAY have to do with the amount of combat veterans we are recruiting into police departments. Those combat veterans conducted operations in an environment where they treated the local population however they wished to do so, with a dominating sense of authority over them........

    Then they became police officers in your town. Conducting similar patrols......stopping people for similar activity...... and being taught how to "articulate" the reasons for their extra-4th amendment activities in their reports....

    Thats just my two cents.
    Die hard military supporters....go ahead... bring it.
    I have heard this. I don't dismiss it, but many believe... including myself... that the trend toward this direction started a couple decades ago, and has become more visible in the last 10 or so years. If so, the veteran aspect may just exacerbate the issue, but not be the cause of it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #24
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: What Is Causing Police Corruption?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Of course, but if it weren't there to begin with there wouldn't be anything to film.
    Obviously.

    But the premise was that because of the Camera phone, we could see that police were horribly corrupt - I'm arguing that the premise did not take into account the selectiveness of the camera operators.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: What Is Causing Police Corruption?

    I was once told (although I do not mean to post this as a universal statement, but I found some humor, and some empirical expierence to be true)


    When they grow up, High School bullies pursue two career paths

    Dumb ones become cops, smart ones become salesmen.



    Where am I going with this? I absolutely think SOME bullies pursue careers where they leverage power over people, and sadly, the LEO commmunity provides them that path and chance.


    1% bad apples and all that.

  6. #26
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Last Seen
    02-08-17 @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,639

    Re: What Is Causing Police Corruption?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Imo, police are no more or less corrupt then they ever have been (probably less, I would guess).

    The MAIN reason people think they are more corrupt is...smartphone cameras.


    then why are LEOs more than ever working to block civilian recording of their activity?
    seems more would be exhonerated....

  7. #27
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: What Is Causing Police Corruption?

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    It seems that with the advent of the camera-phone, police are being shown to engage in criminal behavior far more frequently than ever before. I can only think of three things.

    1) Cameraphones affect a cop's brain causing them to be more corrupt when on film.

    2) Police have always had a high level of corruption, but cameraphones allows it to be caught on camera.

    3) The police departments have bloated budgets so they hire any droog off the street to fill their rosters.

    4) Cops have too much time on their hands and so they engage in corruption for excitement.
    Mostly just lack of oversight and government encouragement.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #28
    Educator oncewas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ky.
    Last Seen
    10-11-16 @ 09:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    797

    Re: What Is Causing Police Corruption?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Im probably going to catch **** for this one.... but I am just speaking from my experiences as both a "War on Terror" veteran and a former Police Officer....


    Some of it MAY have to do with the amount of combat veterans we are recruiting into police departments. Those combat veterans conducted operations in an environment where they treated the local population however they wished to do so, with a dominating sense of authority over them........

    Then they became police officers in your town. Conducting similar patrols......stopping people for similar activity...... and being taught how to "articulate" the reasons for their extra-4th amendment activities in their reports....





    Thats just my two cents.
    Die hard military supporters....go ahead... bring it.
    There's nothing wrong with being honest,sometime the truth hurt's. I'm a Combat Vietnam Vet. USMC 0311 Grunt. Never been a LEO.


    It's not because John McCain doesn't care. It's because John McCain doesn't get it.
    Barack Obama
    At Democratic Party's Denver convention, August 2008.

  9. #29
    Guru

    HonestJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,485

    Re: What Is Causing Police Corruption?

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    then why are LEOs more than ever working to block civilian recording of their activity?
    seems more would be exhonerated....
    Whenever anyone asks a question in the form "Why is X true?", the first thought should always be "Is X actually true?". Your question is only valid if you can establish that they are "more than ever" trying to block recording of their activity.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: What Is Causing Police Corruption?

    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    Whenever anyone asks a question in the form "Why is X true?", the first thought should always be "Is X actually true?". Your question is only valid if you can establish that they are "more than ever" trying to block recording of their activity.
    I wouldn't say they(in a collective sense of the word) are trying to block recording of their activity any more than they are trying to screw up your order at fast food.

    Are there some who block recording and act like general jack asses? Yes. Are there some who mess up orders? Yes.

    Posting videos where officers give two ****s less if you are recording them isn't flashy and controversial.... and thus it isn't really talked about much.

    Its all about perception.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •