View Poll Results: Should we add "slightly Republican" to the political lean on Debate Politics?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes we should, not all Republicans are conservative

    7 6.54%
  • No, I consider all Republicans, conservatives

    93 86.92%
  • The new Call of Duty is horrible. I liked Call of Duty Ghosts better.

    7 6.54%
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 124

Thread: Debate Politics change in political lean?

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Last Seen
    06-29-15 @ 04:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    323

    Re: Debate Politics change in political lean?

    Most republicans are not conservative at all.
    They are right wing extremist radicals.
    I would be far less suspicious of someone self identifying as conservative than one calling himself "slightly republican".
    Slightly crazy, is still crazy.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,805

    Re: Debate Politics change in political lean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Most people remember Goldwater as the guy who lost to LBJ.
    Which means nothing about the value of his political position.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #53
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Debate Politics change in political lean?

    No. As another poster said, the political party you affiliate with (and the degree to which you affiliate yourself with them) is not the same thing as your political lean or ideology. If someone is a hardcore liberal who is registered Republican (for whatever weird reason) then the correct lean would be liberal.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Debate Politics change in political lean?

    I don't really care.

    I just put other (or whatever it says - I don't remember).

    Why would I care what others think is my political 'bent'? They could think I am pro-iPhone6+'s and unsweetened fruit salad for all I care.

    We are almost all faceless, nameless nobodies anyway. Now if we all put our names/faces out there, I would get it. But we don't, so I don't get what difference it makes.


    But...whatever floats your boat.

  5. #55
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,919

    Re: Debate Politics change in political lean?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The thing with leans is that no matter what you choose, other people will think it means something completely different. Let me give an example based on mine. I am very liberal, which means I support a strong central government and social safety net. Because of that lean, people have told me I support the following, which I do not: tax increases, banning guns, socialism, communism, fascism, forcing churches to marry same sex couples, limiting free speech(the fairness doctrine especially), special rights, equity of outcome(does any one actually support that at all?), stealing, weak foreign policy(despite that I am more hawkish than average), and that is just the beginning.

    So I would not worry much of they do not have a lean tailor fitted to just what you think. That is true for most people here. Argue your points and when people make a misassumption based on your lean, PWN then for it and smile. If the mods tried to include all the leans people have suggested, the list would take all day just to read through, and people would still misunderstand what you really are. People like to tell me and others that "my side" supports or is opposed to this or that, based on my lean, and the truth is the only person who holds the exact views I do is me.
    Precisely why I got rid of my lean altogether. I quickly tired of being told what I think and what I believe, and I got sick of people arguing the lean rather than the person.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  6. #56
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:56 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Debate Politics change in political lean?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I don't really care.

    I just put other (or whatever it says - I don't remember).

    Why would I care what others think is my political 'bent'? They could think I am pro-iPhone6+'s and unsweetened fruit salad for all I care.

    We are almost all faceless, nameless nobodies anyway. Now if we all put our names/faces out there, I would get it. But we don't, so I don't get what difference it makes.

    But...whatever floats your boat.
    Is it just me, or is there a trend here? You seem to go around a lot saying you don't care, yet you still go around, read, and post. Evidence suggests that you DO care.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #57
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Debate Politics change in political lean?

    Quote Originally Posted by 11Bravo View Post
    When filling out my Bio, I wanted to list my accurate political lean. I am not slightly conservative, but I am more Republican than a centrist. Political tests put me at "right-leaning centrist". However, my right-leaning views aren't really conservative, more general Republicanism. I'm a social liberal too.

    What do you guys think? Could we add the choice "slightly Republican"?
    That sounds suspiciously like those who choose "Libertarian" because they are too ashamed to admit that they are Republican.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Debate Politics change in political lean?

    And
    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is it just me, or is there a trend here? You seem to go around a lot saying you don't care, yet you still go around, read, and post. Evidence suggests that you DO care.
    You are partially right. But ai do not say 'I don't care'...how could I not care if I am commenting about it?

    No, I say 'I don't much care' or 'I don't really care'...big difference (though I assume it will not be to you/most).

    I care enough to voice my opinion and leave it (unless someone bugs me about it or I am bored) but not enough to debate it.

    Frankly, I don't even get why people debate on here as much as they do. Most people never change their mind and both sides just end up nattering on and on to no end...seems like a huge waste of time.

    I am here to teach, learn and kill time (in no particular order)...but debating on and on with closed minded people is not my thing.
    Last edited by DA60; 01-29-15 at 07:37 PM.

  9. #59
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,578
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Debate Politics change in political lean?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    And

    You are partially right. But ai do not say 'I don't care'...how could I not care if I am commenting about it?

    No, I say 'I don't much care' or 'I don't really care'...big difference (though I assume it will not be to you/most).

    I care enough to voice my opinion and leave it (unless someone bugs me about it or I am bored) but not enough to debate it.

    Frankly, I don't even get why people debate on here as much as they do. Most people never change their mind and both sides just end up nattering on and on to no end...seems like a huge waste of time.

    I am here to teach, learn and kill time (in no particular order)...but debating on and on with closed minded people is not my thing.
    But those who truly want to learn--those who want to BE right rather than just convince others they are right--can benefit from the debate process. It is my opinion that any opinion or conviction worth having will stand up under scrutiny and testing. If we cannot defend our opinions or convictions or cannot explain them convincingly to somebody else, we probably are operating on pure ideology rather than anything of substance.

    I have run across exceptions, but it has been my observation that those who identify themselves as conservative, Republican, reformer/Tea Partier (or reasonable facsimile), libertarian (little "L"), classical liberal can all usually provide a pretty good rationale or defense for their point of view. In other words they really do understand WHY they hold the opinions/convictions that they hold. Most of those left of center, no matter what they call themselves, most often cannot and do not.

    I keep hoping for discussions with thoughtful people who will prove me wrong about those left of center.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Debate Politics change in political lean?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    But those who truly want to learn--those who want to BE right rather than just convince others they are right--can benefit from the debate process. It is my opinion that any opinion or conviction worth having will stand up under scrutiny and testing. If we cannot defend our opinions or convictions or cannot explain them convincingly to somebody else, we probably are operating on pure ideology rather than anything of substance.

    I have run across exceptions, but it has been my observation that those who identify themselves as conservative, Republican, reformer/Tea Partier (or reasonable facsimile), libertarian (little "L"), classical liberal can all usually provide a pretty good rationale or defense for their point of view. In other words they really do understand WHY they hold the opinions/convictions that they hold. Most of those left of center, no matter what they call themselves, most often cannot and do not.

    I keep hoping for discussions with thoughtful people who will prove me wrong about those left of center.
    It has been my experience that the VAST majority of people on chat/debate sites are VERY closed minded...they will argue 2+2=3 (if they believe it) forEVER...no matter what evidence you present to the contrary.

    I see little reason to waste my time on them.

    When I see someone new, I try and give them the benefit of the doubt. But as soon as it is obvious their mind is closed, I tune them out on that issue.

    However, I am open to new information...so if someone - anyone - offers links to unbiased, factual information, THAT interests me.

    But opinions that are not backed up with facts or common sense mean little to me.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •