View Poll Results: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Honestly, my answer would be based on how it benefits my party/political outcomes.

    21 16.80%
  • Leave it the way it is. No vote for POTUS in the territories.

    9 7.20%
  • Let the territories form their own winner takes all EC delegation

    80 64.00%
  • Let each territory be assigned by lottery a state with which they vote each Presidential election

    1 0.80%
  • End the Electoral College. Direct vote for President by all citizens regardless of where they live

    14 11.20%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 64

Thread: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

  1. #1
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    We've been having a spirited discussion on Americans living in the US territories barred from voting in presidential elections. As an FYI, they do vote in the primaries.

    By way of background, the constitution gives the power to elect the potus via the electoral college to the states, very likely do to the thinking that average Americans were too ill-informed to cast an informed ballot for such an important position. With advances in mass news media, over time every state transitioned from having the state legislatures pick their electoral college delegates to holding general elections in each state. Since the constitution does not specify how each state should select their electoral college delegates, there was no need to amend the constitution.

    Inadvertently left out of the process were residents of Washington, DC and the US territories since they do not live in a state. It wasn't until 1961 that Washingtonians finally got to vote for president. This anomaly does not apply to Americans born in the US territories, only Americans who live in the US territories. If a Puerto Rican moves to Orlando, he instantly becomes eligible to vote in Florida elections. However, if a Texan moves to Puerto Rico he instantly loses his right to vote in presidential elections but votes instead for the mayor of San Juan, governor of Puerto Rico, the Puerto Rico delegate to Congress in Washington and the Puerto Rico legislature. An even greater anomaly is if a New Yorker moves to Pakistan, he gets to vote for President of the United States by mail. Only Americans living in the US territories are banned from voting for president.

    In your view, what is the best way to address this oddity?
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  2. #2
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,306

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    We've been having a spirited discussion on Americans living in the US territories barred from voting in presidential elections. As an FYI, they do vote in the primaries.

    By way of background, the constitution gives the power to elect the potus via the electoral college to the states, very likely do to the thinking that average Americans were too ill-informed to cast an informed ballot for such an important position. With advances in mass news media, over time every state transitioned from having the state legislatures pick their electoral college delegates to holding general elections in each state. Since the constitution does not specify how each state should select their electoral college delegates, there was no need to amend the constitution.

    Inadvertently left out of the process were residents of Washington, DC and the US territories since they do not live in a state. It wasn't until 1961 that Washingtonians finally got to vote for president. This anomaly does not apply to Americans born in the US territories, only Americans who live in the US territories. If a Puerto Rican moves to Orlando, he instantly becomes eligible to vote in Florida elections. However, if a Texan moves to Puerto Rico he instantly loses his right to vote in presidential elections but votes instead for the mayor of San Juan, governor of Puerto Rico, the Puerto Rico delegate to Congress in Washington and the Puerto Rico legislature. An even greater anomaly is if a New Yorker moves to Pakistan, he gets to vote for President of the United States by mail. Only Americans living in the US territories are banned from voting for president.

    In your view, what is the best way to address this oddity?
    The issue certainly reveals the fact that it is, once again, a problem created by legislative malfeasance and we are expecting the same legislative legerdemain to solve the problem. When pigs fly, as they say.

  3. #3
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,386

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Let's take a poll in the territories:

    Do you want to be able to vote in the Electoral College if it means that you have to pay Federal Income tax?

  4. #4
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Let's take a poll in the territories:

    Do you want to be able to vote in the Electoral College if it means that you have to pay Federal Income tax?
    I just emailed an accountant friend who lives in a US territory that question. It dawned on me, that could actually be a net win financially for the people there somewhat similar to ministers' tax rules on tax deductions but with tax deductions and tax credits. She's a tax accountant so I'll let her bring it up and will pass it on if I'm right.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  5. #5
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Just heard from my tax accountant friend. She says in so many words and if I understood her, Uncle Sam gives tax credits for taxes paid elsewhere and since the territorial tax is 100% identical to the federal tax rates, deductions and credits; the federal tax will cancel out and will result in no additional tax, although the hassle filing an additional 1040 form would need to be happen. Americans living in Pakistan, for example, are under these same tax rules right now and they do vote for President by mail. I presume the reason they have to file is because the tax rates, deductions and credits in Pakistan or wherever are not 100% identical to those in the US.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  6. #6
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    An American citizen should be able to vote in every federal election. The electoral college makes no sense to me anyway.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  7. #7
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    The idea of giving a state the votes of a territory as a result of a arbitrary assignment is horrible. I would have to know the procedure for how a US citizen can vote while living in a foreign country, as was mentioned above, before I make a judgement on how to proceed.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,399

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    We've been having a spirited discussion on Americans living in the US territories barred from voting in presidential elections. As an FYI, they do vote in the primaries.

    By way of background, the constitution gives the power to elect the potus via the electoral college to the states, very likely do to the thinking that average Americans were too ill-informed to cast an informed ballot for such an important position. With advances in mass news media, over time every state transitioned from having the state legislatures pick their electoral college delegates to holding general elections in each state. Since the constitution does not specify how each state should select their electoral college delegates, there was no need to amend the constitution.

    Inadvertently left out of the process were residents of Washington, DC and the US territories since they do not live in a state. It wasn't until 1961 that Washingtonians finally got to vote for president. This anomaly does not apply to Americans born in the US territories, only Americans who live in the US territories. If a Puerto Rican moves to Orlando, he instantly becomes eligible to vote in Florida elections. However, if a Texan moves to Puerto Rico he instantly loses his right to vote in presidential elections but votes instead for the mayor of San Juan, governor of Puerto Rico, the Puerto Rico delegate to Congress in Washington and the Puerto Rico legislature. An even greater anomaly is if a New Yorker moves to Pakistan, he gets to vote for President of the United States by mail. Only Americans living in the US territories are banned from voting for president.

    In your view, what is the best way to address this oddity?
    It work quite well as is. Why fix it?

  9. #9
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    We've been having a spirited discussion on Americans living in the US territories barred from voting in presidential elections. As an FYI, they do vote in the primaries.

    By way of background, the constitution gives the power to elect the potus via the electoral college to the states, very likely do to the thinking that average Americans were too ill-informed to cast an informed ballot for such an important position. With advances in mass news media, over time every state transitioned from having the state legislatures pick their electoral college delegates to holding general elections in each state. Since the constitution does not specify how each state should select their electoral college delegates, there was no need to amend the constitution.

    Inadvertently left out of the process were residents of Washington, DC and the US territories since they do not live in a state. It wasn't until 1961 that Washingtonians finally got to vote for president. This anomaly does not apply to Americans born in the US territories, only Americans who live in the US territories. If a Puerto Rican moves to Orlando, he instantly becomes eligible to vote in Florida elections. However, if a Texan moves to Puerto Rico he instantly loses his right to vote in presidential elections but votes instead for the mayor of San Juan, governor of Puerto Rico, the Puerto Rico delegate to Congress in Washington and the Puerto Rico legislature. An even greater anomaly is if a New Yorker moves to Pakistan, he gets to vote for President of the United States by mail. Only Americans living in the US territories are banned from voting for president.

    In your view, what is the best way to address this oddity?
    Although it's a little gimmicky, I like your idea of a lottery where the territories get assigned to a different state every four years and their votes get added into that states votes for that Presidential election only. It would create some interesting dynamics, depending on the toss up potential of the state they're assigned to.

    I do agree, however, that every American citizen should have the right to cast his/her vote for the leader of the nation.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  10. #10
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,386

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Just heard from my tax accountant friend. She says in so many words and if I understood her, Uncle Sam gives tax credits for taxes paid elsewhere and since the territorial tax is 100% identical to the federal tax rates, deductions and credits; the federal tax will cancel out and will result in no additional tax, although the hassle filing an additional 1040 form would need to be happen. Americans living in Pakistan, for example, are under these same tax rules right now and they do vote for President by mail. I presume the reason they have to file is because the tax rates, deductions and credits in Pakistan or wherever are not 100% identical to those in the US.
    Puerto Ricans (and those citizens from any other territory) also vote as long as they live in a state. I don't believe that the rates are the same in all territories

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •