View Poll Results: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Honestly, my answer would be based on how it benefits my party/political outcomes.

    21 16.80%
  • Leave it the way it is. No vote for POTUS in the territories.

    9 7.20%
  • Let the territories form their own winner takes all EC delegation

    80 64.00%
  • Let each territory be assigned by lottery a state with which they vote each Presidential election

    1 0.80%
  • End the Electoral College. Direct vote for President by all citizens regardless of where they live

    14 11.20%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 64

Thread: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

  1. #41
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Are you sure you have this right? I know many ex-pats, U.S. citizens who live in Thailand, one in Laos and a couple more in Vietnam, yet they get to vote. Absentee, but they get to vote. I am sure regardless of where I moved to, PR, VI, Guam, it would be no different that living in Thailand.
    This month, as President Obama prepares once again to address the nation, nearly 600 soldiers from Guam are returning home after a nine-month deployment in Afghanistan. While these patriotic Americans answered the call to defend democracy overseas, they are denied democracy at home. When the 2016 General Election rolls around, they will be unable to vote for President and will only elect a non-voting Delegate to Congress.

    During their first month of deployment in Afghanistan, two Guam soldiers, Spc. Dwayne Flores, 22, and Sgt. Eugene Aguon, were killed by a car bomb. According to statistics from the Washington Post's "Faces of the Fallen," Guam's casualty rates in Iraq and Afghanistan have been 450 percent above the national average
    .



    Fighting for Democracy, But Can't Vote for President*|*Neil Weare

    As a btw, Delegates to Congress from Washington, DC and the US territories can serve on committees, preside over committees, vote in committee, write and introduce legislation and have all the staffing, salary and perks of any member or congress. In fact, my sources tell me the delegate to congress from the Virgin Islands, who is also a medical doctor was the key person in the house who got Obamacare fine tuned and passed. However, they are excluded from voting in final votes that pass laws in the full house. And no US senators, which nobody is asking for without statehood.
    Last edited by Smeagol; 01-28-15 at 08:42 AM.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  2. #42
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    That is not sufficient reason for eliminating the EC. You're going to have to do better than that.
    It wasn't for eliminating the EC, it was just a question in relation to the topic. And I'm still not sure the EC really does a good job in making sure that candidates have wide-ranging support.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  3. #43
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Maybe all the non-voting territories can be banded together with it's own set of collective Electoral votes. Kind of like a new state, if you will.

    Just thinking out loud.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #44
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Maybe all the non-voting territories can be banded together with it's own set of collective Electoral votes. Kind of like a new state, if you will.

    Just thinking out loud.

    That was one of my options; 3 on the poll. The problem is Puerto Rico with its population of 3.6 million would essentially dominate the smaller territories of Guam, the USVI and American Samoa with a remaining combined population of 325,000. However, my educated guess is Puerto Rico with be a state soon and if not, they all will likely vote pretty much alike anyway. Regardless, there is no perfect solution and anything IMHO is better than nothing.

    I like option 4 because in addition to giving those in the territories the presidential vote, it reminds us in an emphatic way that the territories are in fact part of the country and will help forge more unity and friendship.

    I think we'll get to option 5 as a country eventually. We would need to concurrently create a runoff system for it to work, IMHO. I also think we need to randomize the primary election dates.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  5. #45
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    This month, as President Obama prepares once again to address the nation, nearly 600 soldiers from Guam are returning home after a nine-month deployment in Afghanistan. While these patriotic Americans answered the call to defend democracy overseas, they are denied democracy at home. When the 2016 General Election rolls around, they will be unable to vote for President and will only elect a non-voting Delegate to Congress.

    During their first month of deployment in Afghanistan, two Guam soldiers, Spc. Dwayne Flores, 22, and Sgt. Eugene Aguon, were killed by a car bomb. According to statistics from the Washington Post's "Faces of the Fallen," Guam's casualty rates in Iraq and Afghanistan have been 450 percent above the national average
    .



    Fighting for Democracy, But Can't Vote for President*|*Neil Weare

    As a btw, Delegates to Congress from Washington, DC and the US territories can serve on committees, preside over committees, vote in committee, write and introduce legislation and have all the staffing, salary and perks of any member or congress. In fact, my sources tell me the delegate to congress from the Virgin Islands, who is also a medical doctor was the key person in the house who got Obamacare fine tuned and passed. However, they are excluded from voting in final votes that pass laws in the full house. And no US senators, which nobody is asking for without statehood.
    Guam's military casualty rate is higher because Guam's military service rate is higher (#1 in the US). Guam is an island that relies heavily upon imports which are far cheaper when heavily subsudized by the military. The PX/commissary system accounts for a huge reduction in the cost of living on Guam. When I lived in Guam (1982-1985) nearly every family had a military service member thereby making their dependents eligible for those PX/commissary privileges.


    Total Military Recruits: Army, Navy, Air Force (per capita) statistics - States Compared - StateMaster

    http://www.militaryinstallations.dod...2CINSTALLATION
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 01-28-15 at 11:32 AM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #46
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    It wasn't for eliminating the EC, it was just a question in relation to the topic. And I'm still not sure the EC really does a good job in making sure that candidates have wide-ranging support.
    Well I refer you back to my link, which I thought gave reasoned opinions. If I choose to trust the wisdom of the Founders over the whims of current politicians and pundits (who have yet to give a reasoned argument beyond we like popular vote or the founders didn't know our times), well I'm just damn sorry but that's not good enough for me to change the status quo. That's why I'm a conservative, I don't do change just because it feels good or seems more fair. One thing I've learn in 55 years is that things aren't always what they seem or feel.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #47
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    That was one of my options; 3 on the poll. The problem is Puerto Rico with its population of 3.6 million would essentially dominate the smaller territories of Guam, the USVI and American Samoa with a remaining combined population of 325,000. However, my educated guess is Puerto Rico with be a state soon and if not, they all will likely vote pretty much alike anyway. Regardless, there is no perfect solution and anything IMHO is better than nothing.

    I like option 4 because in addition to giving those in the territories the presidential vote, it reminds us in an emphatic way that the territories are in fact part of the country and will help forge more unity and friendship.

    I think we'll get to option 5 as a country eventually. We would need to concurrently create a runoff system for it to work, IMHO. I also think we need to randomize the primary election dates.
    Sorry. I pretty much stopped reading polls since they've been spammed so much.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #48
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Guam's military casualty rate is higher because Guam's military service rate is higher (#1 in the US). Guam is an island that relies heavily upon imports which are far cheaper when heavily subsudized by the military. The PX/commissary system accounts for a huge reduction in the cost of living on Guam. When I lived in Guam (1982-1985) nearly every family had a military service member thereby making their dependents eligible for those PX/commissary privileges.


    Total Military Recruits: Army, Navy, Air Force (per capita) statistics - States Compared - StateMaster

    MilitaryINSTALLATIONS - U.S. Department of Defense
    So a lot of people join the National Guard in part to be able to shop at the on-base grocery store at half the price of the civilian stores. Interesting.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  9. #49
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    So a lot of people join the National Guard in part to be able to shop at the on-base grocery store at half the price of the civilian stores. Interesting.
    Yep, it is not that folks from Guam are any more patriotic or care about much other than local politics. Knowing what is required to get your cost of living lower is the primary factor in deciding to join the military in Guam, next is the unemployment rate.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #50
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Well I refer you back to my link, which I thought gave reasoned opinions. If I choose to trust the wisdom of the Founders over the whims of current politicians and pundits (who have yet to give a reasoned argument beyond we like popular vote or the founders didn't know our times), well I'm just damn sorry but that's not good enough for me to change the status quo. That's why I'm a conservative, I don't do change just because it feels good or seems more fair. One thing I've learn in 55 years is that things aren't always what they seem or feel.
    If you agree with the link, then you should be able to argue the points inside effectively. If you don't feel like doing that, ok fine, but I don't know how you can take much of a stand.

    As far as I can recall, the FF weren't necessarily big on political parties, so I don't think you are necessarily sided with the FF on that issue.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •