View Poll Results: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Honestly, my answer would be based on how it benefits my party/political outcomes.

    21 16.80%
  • Leave it the way it is. No vote for POTUS in the territories.

    9 7.20%
  • Let the territories form their own winner takes all EC delegation

    80 64.00%
  • Let each territory be assigned by lottery a state with which they vote each Presidential election

    1 0.80%
  • End the Electoral College. Direct vote for President by all citizens regardless of where they live

    14 11.20%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 64

Thread: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

  1. #31
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    We've been having a spirited discussion on Americans living in the US territories barred from voting in presidential elections. As an FYI, they do vote in the primaries.

    By way of background, the constitution gives the power to elect the potus via the electoral college to the states, very likely do to the thinking that average Americans were too ill-informed to cast an informed ballot for such an important position. With advances in mass news media, over time every state transitioned from having the state legislatures pick their electoral college delegates to holding general elections in each state. Since the constitution does not specify how each state should select their electoral college delegates, there was no need to amend the constitution.

    Inadvertently left out of the process were residents of Washington, DC and the US territories since they do not live in a state. It wasn't until 1961 that Washingtonians finally got to vote for president. This anomaly does not apply to Americans born in the US territories, only Americans who live in the US territories. If a Puerto Rican moves to Orlando, he instantly becomes eligible to vote in Florida elections. However, if a Texan moves to Puerto Rico he instantly loses his right to vote in presidential elections but votes instead for the mayor of San Juan, governor of Puerto Rico, the Puerto Rico delegate to Congress in Washington and the Puerto Rico legislature. An even greater anomaly is if a New Yorker moves to Pakistan, he gets to vote for President of the United States by mail. Only Americans living in the US territories are banned from voting for president.

    In your view, what is the best way to address this oddity?
    With the exception of DC's history, I had never thought about this one way or another. Interesting thread topic.

    To be fair historically, when the nation was founded we didn't have territories. But, that doesn't mean it couldn't have been addressed since then. I believe that every citizen should have the right to vote in a Presidential election, and I've never been a fan of the Electoral College, so I guess that's my answer.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #32
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Maybe because you don't understand it. Maybe you didn't realize that the federal govt was never set up to govern YOU, but to govern the states. Not only have we bastardized the education of our citizenry in to believing popular vote is the cure to all election evils, but they don't even understand the purpose of the union to begin with. The states existed before the union, not the union before the states. The two houses in Congress represent the states, that's why the representatives are divided up by states. Furthermore it was never intended that you vote DIRECTLY for the President. The Founders knew exactly what they were trying to do, it wasn't random.
    Be that as it may, it has evolved far from that.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #33
    Educator SocialDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 04:30 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    922

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Option 5 is the only reasonable answer, IMO. The electoral college should be abolished and the people of the United States should have a say in who governs them. That being said, we shouldn't even have territories in the first place. Each territory should vote on statehood or independence.
    Social democrat is no longer an accurate description of my views.

  4. #34
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Doing away with the EC might even be great for the Republicans is seems to me, yet I'm against it because no one has shown any wisdom against it. All people do is say they hate and throw bumper sticker talking points out there. Well I'm sorry to say that that won't even put a dent in the solid intellectually foundations of the Founders. You want to undo something in the Constitution, you better damn well have a thorough logical argument against it, in my world.
    Do you really think a two-party system is the best system?
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  5. #35
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Do you really think a two-party system is the best system?
    You weren't asking me, but I don't think the 2 party system is bad, per se. I think where we continually fall off the boat is in insisting on re-electing the same individuals time after time after time when we know we don't like them.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #36
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,239

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Do you really think a two-party system is the best system?
    That is not sufficient reason for eliminating the EC. You're going to have to do better than that.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Get rid of the electoral college, let all US citizens vote in presidential elections.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Get rid of the electoral college, let all US citizens vote in presidential elections.
    The 12 people living in the Midwest object to that. We can't have those 12 people annoyed.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #39
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by SocialDemocrat View Post
    Option 5 is the only reasonable answer, IMO. The electoral college should be abolished and the people of the United States should have a say in who governs them. That being said, we shouldn't even have territories in the first place. Each territory should vote on statehood or independence.
    I like 3, 4 and 5 in that order from least to best.

    Having territories are deeply entrenched in US history but because of their nature, it takes time for the territories to develop economically, politically and in other areas enough to become states. The Louisiana territory wasn't ready to become a state(s) in 1803 but in time it was. Hawaii was a US territory when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor but in time they were ready for statehood, 1959. As a FYI, most US territories eventually become states. I'm only aware of two that preferred not to; Cuba and the Philippines. Interestingly, they probably regretted it considering both ended up with dictators. I just remembered Liberia but I don't think they were offered the option of becoming a state.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  10. #40
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Americans in the US territories not being permitted to vote for POTUS

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Are you sure you have this right? I know many ex-pats, U.S. citizens who live in Thailand, one in Laos and a couple more in Vietnam, yet they get to vote. Absentee, but they get to vote. I am sure regardless of where I moved to, PR, VI, Guam, it would be no different that living in Thailand.
    I'm sure of it. The exception would be if you moved to one of the territories and choose to not to become a legal resident and vote absentee back in the states. This would be very difficult to do over the long term because you could not get a local driver's license. That would affect your ability to get auto insurance, enroll your kids in school and your ability work. I imagine you could do it but would need to be well off enough to maintain two residences; one in the states and another in the territory. However, even if you could pull it off, the American citizens born there and have lived there all their lives would have no stateside address from which they could vote absentee. They have to sign up for selective service, maybe get drafted into the US military but can't vote for president.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •