View Poll Results: Is there a moral obligation to repay money you borrow?

Voters
319. You may not vote on this poll
  • If you borrow money, you are morally obligated to repay it.

    110 34.48%
  • I feel no moral obligation to repay loans I've taken out

    209 65.52%
Page 89 of 91 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 LastLast
Results 881 to 890 of 906

Thread: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

  1. #881
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    Not if there's no financially sound reason (on the lender's part) that the loan ever should have been extended in the first place.

    Most people are not sophisticated enough to know how soon - or even whether - they can realistically pay back a loan, and the lenders took full advantage of that fact. Add to that a dozen pages of terms that even lawyers can't agree on, and the lack of personal responsibility on the lender's part is glaringly obvious. That's what you're continuing to deny.
    You know what you make. You know what your mortgage payments are going to cost. You know what you have to have to make ends meet. If you don't, you're a blithering idiot that SHOULD. "I didn't know that I didn't make enough money to pay my mortgage" is nonsense. Most of them knew damned well whether or not they were in over their head or not. Most just didn't care because they thought they thought they were getting something for free - a home that could only ever go up in value... a home that they could sell in a few years for enough to pay off the mortgage and pocket a few thousand. They gambled and lost and made everyone else pay for their mistakes when they decided they weren't going to continue paying since the "free money" they thought they signed up for wasn't going to happen.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  2. #882
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    Not if there's no financially sound reason (on the lender's part) that the loan ever should have been extended in the first place.

    Most people are not sophisticated enough to know how soon - or even whether - they can realistically pay back a loan, and the lenders took full advantage of that fact. Add to that a dozen pages of terms that even lawyers can't agree on, and the lack of personal responsibility on the lender's part is glaringly obvious. That's what you're continuing to deny.
    And those lenders for the most part paid the price of doing business that way. They are no longer in the lending business.

    But the bottom line is stupidity or ignorance isn't an excuse. The lenders who did that enabled people to be stupid. Luckily, most people weren't. Logic tells you that if you make $40,000 a year you can't move into a house that costs $600,000 and you can do it by putting off your principal payments for 5 years. And as far as the people who used their houses as piggybanks, those people were stupid too, and very irresponsible.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #883
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,123

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    You know what you make. You know what your mortgage payments are going to cost. You know what you have to have to make ends meet. If you don't, you're a blithering idiot that SHOULD. "I didn't know that I didn't make enough money to pay my mortgage" is nonsense. Most of them knew damned well whether or not they were in over their head or not. Most just didn't care because they thought they thought they were getting something for free - a home that could only ever go up in value... a home that they could sell in a few years for enough to pay off the mortgage and pocket a few thousand. They gambled and lost and made everyone else pay for their mistakes when they decided they weren't going to continue paying since the "free money" they thought they signed up for wasn't going to happen.
    i believe this is the first post in the entire thread in which i agree with you
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #884
    Why so un**great?
    DifferentDrummr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Facepalm Beach
    Last Seen
    06-04-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,818
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    And those lenders for the most part paid the price of doing business that way. They are no longer in the lending business.
    Nor should they be. But if that's the only price they paid, they got off cheap.

    But the bottom line is stupidity or ignorance isn't an excuse. The lenders who did that enabled people to be stupid. Luckily, most people weren't. Logic tells you that if you make $40,000 a year you can't move into a house that costs $600,000 and you can do it by putting off your principal payments for 5 years. And as far as the people who used their houses as piggybanks, those people were stupid too, and very irresponsible.
    Agreed, but that doesn't make these people immoral, as PB contends.
    I fight against the ignorant, irresponsible, and/or closed-minded.
    This group is the worst enemy of America and its freedoms. It includes, but is not limited to, all Trump supporters.

  5. #885
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    You know what you make. You know what your mortgage payments are going to cost. You know what you have to have to make ends meet. If you don't, you're a blithering idiot that SHOULD. "I didn't know that I didn't make enough money to pay my mortgage" is nonsense. Most of them knew damned well whether or not they were in over their head or not. Most just didn't care because they thought they thought they were getting something for free - a home that could only ever go up in value... a home that they could sell in a few years for enough to pay off the mortgage and pocket a few thousand. They gambled and lost and made everyone else pay for their mistakes when they decided they weren't going to continue paying since the "free money" they thought they signed up for wasn't going to happen.
    Such BS, no one has a crystal ball, no one has absolute knowledge of future income.....and very few could foresee the extent of the 2007 collapse. Your argument remains as irrational as ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #886
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    Nor should they be. But if that's the only price they paid, they got off cheap.



    Agreed, but that doesn't make these people immoral, as PB contends.
    I don't know how PB defines moral, so I can't comment on that last part. But there were a lot of people who did act immorally - including the ones who lied about their income. No doc mortgages were very popular. And lots of them, if not most of them, ended up in default.

    I don't know if they got off cheap.....they lost their jobs.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #887
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Such BS, no one has a crystal ball, no one has absolute knowledge of future income.....and very few could foresee the extent of the 2007 collapse. Your argument remains as irrational as ever.
    It wasn't an argument. It was a fact. And I'm not surprised to hear you say that you think facts are irrational. I figured that out about you long before you said it.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  8. #888
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    It wasn't an argument. It was a fact. And I'm not surprised to hear you say that you think facts are irrational. I figured that out about you long before you said it.
    It is a fact.....that everyone knows their future income.

    Irrational BS.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #889
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I don't know how PB defines moral, so I can't comment on that last part. But there were a lot of people who did act immorally - including the ones who lied about their income. No doc mortgages were very popular. And lots of them, if not most of them, ended up in default.

    I don't know if they got off cheap.....they lost their jobs.
    No doc mortgages were a creation of lenders, that makes them the "immoral" agent and instigator.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #890
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    It is a fact.....that everyone knows their future income.

    Irrational BS.
    Irrational strawman. Yours, of course.

    I was commenting on this statement: "Most people are not sophisticated enough to know how soon - or even whether - they can realistically pay back a loan".

    People that don't know whether they can afford their mortgage payment are blithering idiots. I'm not surprised that you sympathize with them. My statement had nothing to do with crystal balls, predicting the future or any other crap you'd like to assign to me because you can't refute what I ACTUALLY said.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •