View Poll Results: Is there a moral obligation to repay money you borrow?

Voters
319. You may not vote on this poll
  • If you borrow money, you are morally obligated to repay it.

    110 34.48%
  • I feel no moral obligation to repay loans I've taken out

    209 65.52%
Page 84 of 91 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast
Results 831 to 840 of 906

Thread: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

  1. #831
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I'll repeat what I keep saying.


    There is no morality in borrowing and lending.


    So I can't "share the difference" from a morality standpoint.

    I will, however, share the difference from a grown up person standpoint. A cell phone agreement isn't a loan. It's a service agreement. Nobody borrowed money from the service provider.
    They are both legal contracts....which was the point......which apparently is beyond your ability to comprehend.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #832
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    You're wasting your time here. But you are 100% correct. The bank did not buy the house. You bought the house. You own the house. The bank has a lien on your house until you have satisfied your obligation to the bank. A lien is not ownership. The deed is in your name and not the bank's name.

    I'm shaking my head at all the posts in this thread from people who apparently never took and loan nor bought a house, but pretend they know about them.
    This is semantic nonsense, you do not hold title until you pay off the mortgage and any other encumbrances. "Ownership" is incomplete until you hold the title in real property.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #833
    Why so un**great?
    DifferentDrummr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Facepalm Beach
    Last Seen
    06-04-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,818
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Beneficial State Bank in Oakland.

    https://www2.fdic.gov/idasp/StruRepo...?inCert1=58490

    Metropolitan Bank in Oakland.

    https://www2.fdic.gov/idasp/StruRepo...?inCert1=25869

    Here are 2 to get you started.
    I stand corrected: thanks for linking to a site with working searches. (I was using the FFIEC database, whose search feature seems to be totally dysfunctional.)

    More to the point of this thread, though: is it a requirement for deposits to exceed total loans and leases? And was it a requirement before Dodd-Frank?
    I fight against the ignorant, irresponsible, and/or closed-minded.
    This group is the worst enemy of America and its freedoms. It includes, but is not limited to, all Trump supporters.

  4. #834
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,136

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I'll repeat what I keep saying.


    There is no morality in borrowing and lending.
    as have i, excepting circumstances such as fraud

    So I can't "share the difference" from a morality standpoint.
    because there are none
    thank you for making my point

    I will, however, share the difference from a grown up person standpoint. A cell phone agreement isn't a loan. It's a service agreement. Nobody borrowed money from the service provider.
    and that semantic difference has no bearing in this discussion about the morality of paying one's financial obligations
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  5. #835
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    as have i, excepting circumstances such as fraud


    because there are none
    thank you for making my point


    and that semantic difference has no bearing in this discussion about the morality of paying one's financial obligations
    The subject of this thread is paying a loan. A service agreement isn't a loan. Nobody has borrowed any money. If you don't understand that, I can't help you. It's simple plain English and something that smart adults understand.

    No, I didn't "make your point" if you don't understand the difference between a service agreement and a loan. You're in the wrong thread. The thread isn't about service agreements.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  6. #836
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    I stand corrected: thanks for linking to a site with working searches. (I was using the FFIEC database, whose search feature seems to be totally dysfunctional.)

    More to the point of this thread, though: is it a requirement for deposits to exceed total loans and leases? And was it a requirement before Dodd-Frank?
    Ah, the FFIEC site is usually a disaster. It's only useful if you're interested in how they perform on exams, or HMDA data, that sort of thing. The FDIC site is the only way to get the accurate financials, and if you're looking up a credit union, they have a similar site via the NCUA.

    Yes there are loan to deposit ratios that were made mandatory via Dodd-Frank, and the CFPB also has requirements. I don't know what they are off the top of my head, but the bank reserves and capital ratios are pretty tight these days. That's the only way to stop the bleeding of banks closing.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #837
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,136

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    The subject of this thread is paying a loan. A service agreement isn't a loan. Nobody has borrowed any money. If you don't understand that, I can't help you. It's simple plain English and something that smart adults understand.

    No, I didn't "make your point" if you don't understand the difference between a service agreement and a loan. You're in the wrong thread. The thread isn't about service agreements.
    ok, i'll wait for you to share with us how one's morality towards paying a mortgage is unique and different from that of paying one's contracted services agreement
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  8. #838
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    ok, i'll wait for you to share with us how one's morality towards paying a mortgage is unique and different from that of paying one's contracted services agreement
    There has to be a reason for this insane post. I can't explain morality in paying a mortgage when I said that morality had nothing to do with borrowing or lending. Are you intentionally posting trolling posts?

    The "us"...is that you & Jasper who both don't understand the difference between a loan and a service agreement? Sorry, not bothering with you any more than I did with him. Once you two learn the difference, you'll understand why service contracts have nothing to do with this thread even if morality does have a place in borrowing or lending.

    K?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #839
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    12-19-15 @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,234

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    If it's unrealistic (the Greek debt) then it shouldnt have been loaned. I think that was more a political move personally.

    However regarding grace or forgiveness, those are personal virtues and not to be expected from business or corporate entities. I have never heard of any contract that says, "and if the contractee cannot fulfill the terms of this contract in full faith because of hardship, then the contract is null and void."**

    Yes, a business *can forgive a debt* they may have a policy for that, but that debt will be passed on to others who do business/have loans with that company.

    **There is bankruptcy but that is thru the legal system, not the business. The business may still get some or all that's owed it after that process.
    You have never heard of a grace period? And bankruptcy is debt forgiveness.

    And corporations, and individuals, often use bankruptcy to avoid paying debts. They hide assets or move them, and then declare bankruptcy, stiffing their creditors. If business can do it then why not Greece?

    Anyway, when Greece gets Germany to pay for their WW2 war crimes this should help the Greeks a lot. The Germans owe the Greeks bigtime. Merkel must pay.

  10. #840
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    This is semantic nonsense, you do not hold title until you pay off the mortgage and any other encumbrances. "Ownership" is incomplete until you hold the title in real property.
    Yep.

    I don't own my car, currently.
    Bank does, until I pay the loan off.

    Is why they require full coverage insurance.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 84 of 91 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •