View Poll Results: Is there a moral obligation to repay money you borrow?

Voters
319. You may not vote on this poll
  • If you borrow money, you are morally obligated to repay it.

    110 34.48%
  • I feel no moral obligation to repay loans I've taken out

    209 65.52%
Page 73 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 730 of 906

Thread: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

  1. #721
    Why so un**great?
    DifferentDrummr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Facepalm Beach
    Last Seen
    06-04-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,818
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Have you ever borrowed money the lender didn't already have?
    I wouldn't know. The lender doesn't have to tell me.
    I fight against the ignorant, irresponsible, and/or closed-minded.
    This group is the worst enemy of America and its freedoms. It includes, but is not limited to, all Trump supporters.

  2. #722
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    I wouldn't know. The lender doesn't have to tell me.
    If you have ever borrowed money from a bank, you probably did... and I bet you know that.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #723
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Utterly unrelated issues. Forcing banks to make bad loans is one issue. People who don't have healthcare insurance is a completely different issue. You can bring that up on a new topic, if you think there's something meaningful behind the fact that Texas has the highest uninsured rate in the country. (Unless you can prove that it's the conservatives that are the ones that have such a high uninsured rate, you wouldn't have as good a point as you might think you do, though).
    In a discussion about personal responsibility with finances, I can't bring up being uninsured? Ok, moderator. Whatever you say.

    I'm also enjoying your implication that it must be the liberals in the state, because we all know how fiscally responsible conservatives are. Anyway, let's examine this map:

    Map of the Uninsured
    Compare the above map to red/blue states. Correlation does not equal causation, but I think we agree there is a pattern here.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  4. #724
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    Of course I'm paying attention. I just disagree with that practice when it comes to lending. It has the potential to become a major slippery slope in which a run on the banks could create a bigger hole than the money supply itself. Clearly you don't understand that.

    And if I, as a business entity, can legally stick someone else with the consequences of my bad decision, I will. It happens all the time, even in the most "ethical" companies. Yet another thing you don't pay attention to.
    I know you would stick someone else with the consequences of your bad decisions. You've said that all along. That was never in dispute.

    You are one of the people that will do what is profitable for you instead of what is right. That is unethical and I wouldn't knowingly associate or do business with people who would do that. I will only willingly associate with people who do ethical business.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  5. #725
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    In a discussion about personal responsibility with finances, I can't bring up being uninsured? Ok, moderator. Whatever you say.

    I'm also enjoying your implication that it must be the liberals in the state, because we all know how fiscally responsible conservatives are. Anyway, let's examine this map:

    Map of the Uninsured
    Compare the above map to red/blue states. Correlation does not equal causation, but I think we agree there is a pattern here.
    You can bring up Snow White and the seven dwarves if you want but it wouldn't be on topic, either.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  6. #726
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    If you rape your neighbor's wife, they come after you, too. The fact that you pay the penalty for breaking our legal contract (thou shalt not rape) doesn't make it an acceptable choice for you to make. The fact that the bank can recover some of it's losses doesn't make it right for you to stick them with your losses. When you buy a house, the house is YOURS. It's your purchase, not the bank's purchase. If your purchase doesn't work out to be as profitable as you thought it would be, walking away and sticking the bank with that loss is just unscrupulous. Sure, it's good for you and bad for the bank, but it demonstrates that given the choice, you will do what's good for you instead of what is RIGHT. That's the morality of it. Granted, you can decide not to give a damn about doing the right thing and not care who thinks you're moral or not.... hey, after all, it's good for you and what's good for you is all that really counts, right?

    I expect better from my friends, associates and business partners. Anyone that will screw someone else if it profits them is someone I don't want to have anything to do with. I have friends who filed bankruptcy. I don't hold it against them. They tried their best and the debt became so great there was no way they could pay it. The reason I still consider them friends is because they didn't blame the banks or credit card companies or car dealership and never tried so shrug their shoulders and figure it's no sweat. They knew they made mistakes and they knew that now others were going to have to pay for them and there was a sense of remorse. At least they KNEW that it was a failure on their part. At least they know and can acknowledge the difference between right and wrong.
    I probably still see more higher ethical behavior coming out of non-stock, non-profit owned type business like hospitals and such than I do out of Wall Street. It take generations to build institutional culture and generations to change them, so I do not expect to see a lot of payoff from this new orientation until later in life.

    In the meantime, I almost created a new job opening a few minutes ago. Thought I was gonna take out a camera man filming B-roll of the sun and dark shadow on a wall down in the warehouse district when he meandered out into the street. Not sure what they are filming for though. We gets lots of random things filmed in this area, especially exteriors, so could be anything. The rest of the crew was standing there shivering as the wind was rolling down the street. Man, shoot. Missed my chance to be on the news now that I think about it.

  7. #727
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    You can bring up Snow White and the seven dwarves if you want but it wouldn't be on topic, either.
    So, in a thread about moral responsibility to repay a loan, I can't talk about other moral responsibilities in finance? Am I to start a "Are you morally obligated to carry health insurance" thread? I guess my question, Papa bull, is how can you pretend that you believe there should be morality in financial decisions, and then vote conservative? How can one worship the infallible, force of nature known as the free market, and then chastise individuals for making free market decisions?

    That's the thing, I agree with you on this topic. But what I don't get is why we agree, because by all standards of reason you shouldn't agree.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  8. #728
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,095

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    Which wasn't my argument in the first place. (Reading is Fundamental, remember?) I just have a problem with banks' lending money they don't already have.
    What banks are lending money that they don't have?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  9. #729
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,095

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    It's actually nothing like that.
    The argument is that contracts include both and outline and a penalty for a breach of contract. In either case, both parties will act in their best interest.
    If you think there is any correlation between a contract on your home and a cell phone contract, you aren't being serious in this discussion.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #730
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,095

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by DifferentDrummr View Post
    I wouldn't know. The lender doesn't have to tell me.
    Where are you coming up with this nonsense? Are you talking about a loan shark or borrowing from your friends? Because if you're talking about a bank or a credit union, you are 100% incorrect.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 73 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •