View Poll Results: Is there a moral obligation to repay money you borrow?

Voters
319. You may not vote on this poll
  • If you borrow money, you are morally obligated to repay it.

    110 34.48%
  • I feel no moral obligation to repay loans I've taken out

    209 65.52%
Page 58 of 91 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 906

Thread: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

  1. #571
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematica View Post
    The sheer length of that blue bar astounds me.
    welcome to America, where the act of having money to lend makes you the bad guy.

  2. #572
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,156

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    On the contrary - the OP does not ask about what is the right thing to do from a business or legal perspective. It asks what the right thing to do is from a moral perspective.
    which is why he - and you - are found guilty of conflating a business decision with a moral one
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #573
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    08-27-15 @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    welcome to America, where the act of having money to lend makes you the bad guy.
    Banks are an evil institution, but I'd pay back my money.

  4. #574
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paxaeon View Post
    `
    Pray tell, what does morality have to do with this? I cannot answer a question that assumes something that does not exist. The act of borrowing is the domain of the legal system, not moral system...unless you can prove otherwise.
    That is the problem. You, apparently think that if money is involved, morality doesn't apply. "Oh, well, that is business and the morality of doing what you say, fulfilling your obligations and being true to your word isn't a moral consideration of it's "just business".

    That is classic sociopathy. There is no conscience bother if it is "just business" when you lie, cheat or steal". That's a big problem. This isn't about the morality of the lender. When they cut the duck, they've fulfilled their obligation. Their morality isn't the problem here. Yours is the issue and this sentiment that it is on to screw someone over in business is an immoral one.

    Let me guess, though. You would argue that "business is corrupt so you don't have to be honest in business dealings".
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  5. #575
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematica View Post
    Banks are an evil institution, but I'd pay back my money.
    Banks aren't an evil institution any more than liberal are an evil group of people. Loaning money isn't evil. It is an agreement that profits both the bank and the individual borrowing. Otherwise, neither need enter a loan agreement.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  6. #576
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Banks are evil. , ok. Yet we ALL run to them when we want to finance something beyond our ability (or desire) to pay for outright. Whether noble intent on their part or not, they do us the favor of allowing us to upgrade our lifestyle, yet some of us think it's just fine to not return the favor and pay them back.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #577
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    If you borrow money, do you feel there is a moral obligation to repay the money you borrowed?
    Yes. In addition to the legal one. Even if it takes a lifetime to do so, it must be paid back. One's character is the cornerstone of their being.

  8. #578
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NE WI.
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,029

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    That is the problem. You, apparently think that if money is involved, morality doesn't apply. "Oh, well, that is business and the morality of doing what you say, fulfilling your obligations and being true to your word isn't a moral consideration of it's "just business".

    That is classic sociopathy. There is no conscience bother if it is "just business" when you lie, cheat or steal". That's a big problem. This isn't about the morality of the lender. When they cut the duck, they've fulfilled their obligation. Their morality isn't the problem here. Yours is the issue and this sentiment that it is on to screw someone over in business is an immoral one.

    Let me guess, though. You would argue that "business is corrupt so you don't have to be honest in business dealings".

    Conversely, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that money is part of morality. Legal matters involving material and wealth, have historically been apart from morality, which can be traced back to the Code of Hammurabi. "In its descriptive sense, "morality" refers to personal or cultural values, codes of conduct or social mores. It does not connote objective claims of right or wrong, but only refers to that which is considered right or wrong." (source) Corporations and business, in the holistic sense, are inherently amoral and can only be bounded by law, not moral codes. Failure to pay a loan is an illegal act and is punishable by laws. No morality there. The consequences of violating a law are mundane and have nothing to do with an abstraction called a "conscience."

  9. #579
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Banks are evil. , ok. Yet we ALL run to them when we want to finance something beyond our ability (or desire) to pay for outright. Whether noble intent on their part or not, they do us the favor of allowing us to upgrade our lifestyle, yet some of us think it's just fine to not return the favor and pay them back.
    Rationalizations. Always the rationalizations with the libs. Just Demonize the party you want to lie cheat or steal from and you've justified acting as immorally toward them as you wish. It's all about character, or in this dishonest behavior, lack thereof
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  10. #580
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paxaeon View Post
    Conversely, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that money is part of morality. Legal matters involving material and wealth, have historically been apart from morality, which can be traced back to the Code of Hammurabi. "In its descriptive sense, "morality" refers to personal or cultural values, codes of conduct or social mores. It does not connote objective claims of right or wrong, but only refers to that which is considered right or wrong." (source) Corporations and business, in the holistic sense, are inherently amoral and can only be bounded by law, not moral codes. Failure to pay a loan is an illegal act and is punishable by laws. No morality there. The consequences of violating a law are mundane and have nothing to do with an abstraction called a "conscience."
    That is complete crap and you know it. You just argued that since there are laws to punish you if you get caught mugging little old ladies, it isn't immoral to do it.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Page 58 of 91 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •