View Poll Results: Is there a moral obligation to repay money you borrow?

Voters
319. You may not vote on this poll
  • If you borrow money, you are morally obligated to repay it.

    110 34.48%
  • I feel no moral obligation to repay loans I've taken out

    209 65.52%
Page 44 of 91 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 906

Thread: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

  1. #431
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    If you really want to talk about some of those issues you should probably understand that there are times in business where you do things because they must be done or to stay competitive. You can't really take wage rates up all that much as an individual employer in most cases, sorry. That is one reason wages don't jump up like liberals want them to.
    Well, I would imagine that holds true on a personal level, right? As a person, there are times in our lives when you do things so that you can stay afloat and thrive. One such instance, is when you a buy a house that is underwater shortly thereafter, right?

    If one is immoral, the other is immoral as well.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  2. #432
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The example is apt, as it puts the shoe on the other foot.
    No, it's not apt. At all.

    1) Bankruptcy is both a legal and moral alternative in dire circumstances. On both sides of the coin. It is not afforded to only one side. That would be unfair. Bankruptcy is also extremely difficult for a city to do. Circumstances have to be extremely bad before a city is allowed to move forward with a bankruptcy. Not so much for a private individual or company.

    2) Two, the pensioners in this case played a part in their own downfall. They helped negotiate a system that was clearly unsustainable to anyone with open eyes. They don't deserve all the blame, of course, but they're not wholly innocent either.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #433
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    No, foreclosure does not require a lawsuit.

    Please stop lying.
    Different states have different criteria and procedures.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #434
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Different states have different criteria and procedures.
    He's doing his red herring act, anyway, trying to find some tangential diversion to quibble about in order to distract from the main points of the discussion. It's a dishonest debate tactic, which means it is completely in character for the person using it.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  5. #435
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    To the people who answered no, do you remember that one friend in college who was always borrowing money, or who always said he would pay you back for half the pizza you were ordering for yourself, NEVER paid you back, yet always seemed to have enough money for a new jacket or whatever? Was that guy morally obligated to pay you back?

    Or were you those pizza/money borrowing people? If the latter, I want the money for all that pizza I paid for, dammit.
    Excellent analogy. I suspect they would say it's your fault for being dumb enough to lend the money in the first place.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #436
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Different states have different criteria and procedures.
    Don't care
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #437
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    He's doing his red herring act, anyway, trying to find some tangential diversion to quibble about in order to distract from the main points of the discussion. It's a dishonest debate tactic, which means it is completely in character for the person using it.
    Ironically, it was you who brought up the tangential diversion about going to court which is irrelevant because it's what the lender agreed to do. It was nothing more than a pitiful argument that diverts attention away from the fact that the lender agreed to the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #438
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    He's doing his red herring act, anyway, trying to find some tangential diversion to quibble about in order to distract from the main points of the discussion. It's a dishonest debate tactic, which means it is completely in character for the person using it.
    He does that often. I think because it seriously amuses him to be argumentative and get other people all wound up. Topic is often irrelevant. In this thread, though, I sense that he is being sincere. Repugnant, but sincere.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #439
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Don't care
    This is gold. Pure gold!!! Someone who normally portrays them self as being so concerned with facts suddenly doesn't care about facts after being proven wrong.



    Seriously, rather than twist in the wind for everybody to see, it would be more dignified to back out quietly.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #440
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,269

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Clearly, anyone who thinks you can do business on a handshake and expect people to do what's right because it's right is going to get burned. It's just not smart to trust people freely because too many have no character.
    That is no bull Papa.

Page 44 of 91 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •