View Poll Results: Is there a moral obligation to repay money you borrow?

Voters
319. You may not vote on this poll
  • If you borrow money, you are morally obligated to repay it.

    110 34.48%
  • I feel no moral obligation to repay loans I've taken out

    209 65.52%
Page 43 of 91 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 906

Thread: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

  1. #421
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    It doesn't describe it as a penalty, as you claimed it would
    1) That was quick. Why do I not believe you?

    2) Prove it. Scan and post. The complete document(s), so we can be assured you're not conveniently leaving something out. You may redact your name, address, and account numbers, but nothing else.

    Note that the word "penalty" has synonyms.

    ETA: Why did you not claim again that these other means were included specifically as options? Yes, "options" has synonyms, too, but you're no longer claiming that. Why is that?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #422
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I lost faith in people so many years ago now. Politics has a tendency to show peoples true colors, so spending more than sixteen years on forums like this one has definitely changed how I see people. Though in the early days I was just a kid trying to figure out what exactly he believed, so its not like I had much of an idea of how people really were in the first place.
    I knew there was some small percentage of the population that would engage in the immoral raationalizations we're seeing demonstrated in the arguments from the likes of Sangha and Tacomancer. But the poll indicates that it's much deeper and more widespread than I thought. For some reason, there are only three names listed in this public poll for the 46 "votes" that it's OK to welsh on loans.

    Or is it possible that only three people voted that way and that someone with admin privileges doctored the count in the control panel? What's up with that? Is it possible that people can hide their ID on a public vote? That doesn't make sense, either. Why would someone be ashamed of their beliefs unless they knew they were shameful?
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  3. #423
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Ignorance is bliss.

    And I have said nothing one way or another regarding lender obligations. Not in word, nor in inference.
    YOu most certainly have. The agreement obligates the lender to accept the collateral to satisfy the loan. The argument that doing so is somehow a violation of the terms of the agreement infers that the lender is absolved of any obligation to accept the collateral.

    Both the lender and the borrower are obligated to adhere to the terms of the contract. The contract specifies that the loan can be satisfied by either paying the lender cash on a set schedule of some sort, or through foreclosure on the collateral. There is nothing immoral about fulfilling a contract by a method the contract defines as acceptable. If the lender was not willing to accept the collateral as payment, they were free to not sign the contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #424
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    1) That was quick. Why do I not believe you?

    2) Prove it. Scan and post. The complete document(s), so we can be assured you're not conveniently leaving something out. You may redact your name, address, and account numbers, but nothing else.

    Note that the word "penalty" has synonyms.
    1) Don't know. Don't care

    2) request denied - but feel free to do for yourself what you ask of me
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #425
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Not really a valid apples-to-apples question as most have clearly stated that bankruptcy can be legitimate. Please rephrase the question with a more apt example.
    The example is apt, as it puts the shoe on the other foot.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #426
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    1) Don't know. Don't care

    2) request denied - but feel free to do for yourself what you ask of me
    1 & 2) You know you can't produce.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #427
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    But it's not "going to court" as you dishonestly claimed the lender must do



    "Going through a court" is not the same thing as "going to court". The latter involves filing a lawsuit. The former does not.

    The immoral desire to absolve the lender of its' obligations has created a need to support your position with lies.
    In Ohio, it must go to a court and through a court. It is a judicial proceeding. Stop squirming. You're just digging yourself deeper and deeper.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  8. #428
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    In Ohio, it must go to a court and through a court. It is a judicial proceeding. Stop squirming. You're just digging yourself deeper and deeper.
    No, foreclosure does not require a lawsuit.

    Please stop lying.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #429
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,034

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    To the people who answered no, do you remember that one friend in college who was always borrowing money, or who always said he would pay you back for half the pizza you were ordering for yourself, NEVER paid you back, yet always seemed to have enough money for a new jacket or whatever? Was that guy morally obligated to pay you back?

    Or were you those pizza/money borrowing people? If the latter, I want the money for all that pizza I paid for, dammit.

  10. #430
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    If you want to deflect and hijack the thread for your particular agenda, it's not for me to stop you.
    CanadaJohn, this discussion started well before the thread. You are just a superficial addition to a discussion that was going on way before you got here.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

Page 43 of 91 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •