View Poll Results: Is there a moral obligation to repay money you borrow?

Voters
319. You may not vote on this poll
  • If you borrow money, you are morally obligated to repay it.

    110 34.48%
  • I feel no moral obligation to repay loans I've taken out

    209 65.52%
Page 42 of 91 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 906

Thread: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

  1. #411
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    It would be interesting to flip the situation and ask if it is morally OK to promise to pay a pension and then, for completely financial reasons, declare bankruptcy and simply walk away. Many seem to see this as a valid "fix" for social security, yet somehow not for Detroit.
    Not really a valid apples-to-apples question as most have clearly stated that bankruptcy can be legitimate. Please rephrase the question with a more apt example.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #412
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Yes, it is correct so please note how it says that foreclosure can be accomplished by "following a specific statutory procedure"

    The lies you've posted are piling up
    The specific statutory procedure is a legal procedure. In Ohio where I live, it must go through a court. The lie here is yours, Sangha. Not that I'd expect you to be any more honest about that than you are about your personal financial dealings.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  3. #413
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Proving my point from a previous post. The only way you can relieve the burden of guilt from your own conscience is to disassociate the act from you (and in this post even narrow it absurdly to only one type of loan). Try as you might, it doesn't work. You have utterly failed.
    Nonsense

    Why would I feel guilty for something I've never done?

    Your argument is nothing but a weak attempt to rationalize the right wing desire to absolve the lender of its' obligations
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #414
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And I'd be interested in seeing the wording that describes them as "penalties"
    It's your paperwork. Go look.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #415
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Don't be so hard on yourself.
    I'm sure you can do better than "I'm rubber, you're glue"

    Or maybe not
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #416
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    It would be interesting to flip the situation and ask if it is morally OK to promise to pay a pension and then, for completely financial reasons, declare bankruptcy and simply walk away. Many seem to see this as a valid "fix" for social security, yet somehow not for Detroit.
    It's not a fix for anything to simply declare bankruptcy and simply walk away. I think we need bankruptcy laws because $hit can happen and people might find themselves unable to discharge their obligations. It is immoral to make a promise and then subsequently decide not to live up that promise because it's more profitable not to. It's immoral for people, business or governments.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  7. #417
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    The specific statutory procedure is a legal procedure.
    But it's not "going to court" as you dishonestly claimed the lender must do

    In Ohio where I live, it must go through a court. The lie here is yours, Sangha. Not that I'd expect you to be any more honest about that than you are about your personal financial dealings.
    "Going through a court" is not the same thing as "going to court". The latter involves filing a lawsuit. The former does not.

    The immoral desire to absolve the lender of its' obligations has created a need to support your position with lies.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #418
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,187

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    This is so full of falsehoods I can't believe it. I will only correct 2 of them. Banks set the amount they will lend for a mortgage based on an appraisal they hire. It would make no sense for them to lend more than a home is worth. Home prices are NOT like the stock market, with few exceptions like this bubble, home prices go up at a steady rate. I'de like to see you try to get a bank to lend you money to buy stocks.

    You clearly don't know what you're talking about. As for banks lending you money to buy stocks, many banks have brokerages that will allow clients to purchase stocks on margin provided they have collateral to back up their credit worthiness. Then, when the margin comes due, they either sell the stock at a profit, the margin satisfied by the sale, or they sell the stock at a loss and pay the balance from the client's own funds.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  9. #419
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    It's your paperwork. Go look.
    It doesn't describe it as a penalty, as you claimed it would
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #420
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Nonsense

    Why would I feel guilty for something I've never done?

    Your argument is nothing but a weak attempt to rationalize the right wing desire to absolve the lender of its' obligations
    Ignorance is bliss.

    And I have said nothing one way or another regarding lender obligations. Not in word, nor in inference. I generally don't go for "moving the goalpost" accusations (when I see others use them), but if it is a valid concept, you are giving a textbook example.

    Carry on.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 42 of 91 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •