View Poll Results: Is there a moral obligation to repay money you borrow?

Voters
319. You may not vote on this poll
  • If you borrow money, you are morally obligated to repay it.

    110 34.48%
  • I feel no moral obligation to repay loans I've taken out

    209 65.52%
Page 38 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 906

Thread: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

  1. #371
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    It's not about financial decisions. It is about being honest and of sufficient character to fulfill obligations you willingly agree to fulfill. Believing it's OK to welsh on a loan from a business because it suits you is a revelation of your character, not the character of the lender.
    Well, it absolutely is a financial decision. Just as a business deciding to repay a loan is. Or a business deciding to cut employee hours so it doesn't have to give them health insurance. Or a business deciding to pay employees minimum wage that isn't livable. Or a business that overworks its employees.

    If you want to talk about morality in financial decisions, I'm ready Papa Bull. You say the word... let's go.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  2. #372
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    It's hard for me to lay a straw man if I am discussing my own arguments, when by definition, a straw man would require me to be talking about someone else's argument.
    Well, ok, but it hasn't got a thing to with the topic regardless.

  3. #373
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    It's not about the decision. It's not about whether it's business or personal. It is about you doing what you agree to do. If you enter into an agreement to borrow money and the lender writes you a check that you have cashed, they lived up to their obligation. You don't have any excuse for refusing to live up to yours. How does it feel to be LESS moral than a mortgage company?
    It is absolutely about those things. Those sorts of distinctions are the very basis of moral thought.

  4. #374
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    If you enter into an agreement to borrow money and the lender writes you a check that you have cashed, they lived up to their obligation.
    This is a lie

    Under the agreement that the lender freely entered into, the lender is obligated to accept the collateral to settle the loan. Their obligations do not end when they write a check and your desire to absolve them of their obligations is immoral.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #375
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    It's hard for me to lay a straw man if I am discussing my own arguments, when by definition, a straw man would require me to be talking about someone else's argument.
    Whether or not you were referencing someone else's argument or not, you nailed the real meaning of "strawman".
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  6. #376
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    This is a lie

    Under the agreement that the lender freely entered into, the lender is obligated to accept the collateral to settle the loan. Their obligations do not end when they write a check and your desire to absolve them of their obligations is immoral.
    Its kind if amusing he has spent how many pages prattling on about morality and then lies (and its not even a good one)

  7. #377
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    There is no true entity to accept that promise just an entity born of paperwork and is not something organic. A business has no mind or soul so there is nothing to receive that promise.

    What you ask is literally impossible to do. (I am of course assuming you want me to mean the words I say)
    What a load of semantic crap. Corporations are not people so morality does not apply to them? Ridiculous and convenient. Let me know how well that argument holds up in small claims court...lol.


    You have never heard of one-person businesses? I run a run person business.


    So I will ask you again - slightly differently - if you promise to pay back a one person company, does that make you feel more obligated to honor your promise...YES OR NO?
    Last edited by DA60; 01-24-15 at 11:35 AM.

  8. #378
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Well, it absolutely is a financial decision. Just as a business deciding to repay a loan is. Or a business deciding to cut employee hours so it doesn't have to give them health insurance. Or a business deciding to pay employees minimum wage that isn't livable. Or a business that overworks its employees.

    If you want to talk about morality in financial decisions, I'm ready Papa Bull. You say the word... let's go.
    If you really want to talk about some of those issues you should probably understand that there are times in business where you do things because they must be done or to stay competitive. You can't really take wage rates up all that much as an individual employer in most cases, sorry. That is one reason wages don't jump up like liberals want them to.

  9. #379
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    What a load of semantic crap. Corporations are not people so morality does not apply to them? Ridiculous and convenient.


    You have never heard of one-person businesses? I run a run person business.


    So I will ask you again - slightly differently - if you promise to pay back a one person company, does that make you feel more obligated to honor your promise...YES OR NO?
    If you find truth to be such, that's your issue, not mine. I would treat a one person business differently as then I am dealing with a living being and it would take on that additional meaning.

    If I make a promise to a living being, then yes I am obligated morally to keep it.

  10. #380
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    This is a lie

    Under the agreement that the lender freely entered into, the lender is obligated to accept the collateral to settle the loan.
    In afraid you are the one lying here. The lender must go to court and exercise legal options against you because you failed to meet YOUR obligations. The fact the can go after your property if you renege on your agreement isn't to be taken as an invitation to renege if it suits you. I'm not surprised to hear you rationalize it that way, though.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Page 38 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •