View Poll Results: Is there a moral obligation to repay money you borrow?

Voters
319. You may not vote on this poll
  • If you borrow money, you are morally obligated to repay it.

    110 34.48%
  • I feel no moral obligation to repay loans I've taken out

    209 65.52%
Page 37 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 906

Thread: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

  1. #361
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    So much rationalization. The fact that there are consequences for breaking your contract doesn't relieve you of the moral obligation to keep your word and promise.
    defaulting on a loan is not "breaking your contract" (ie failure to perform)
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #362
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    But the morality of doing what you agree to do isn't conditional on whether "it's business" or "personal" or whether it is a business or person that you decide to welsh on. It is about you having the integrity, honor and character to live up to your agreements. Clearly you do not.
    When its a business decision its not a moral decision. Moral decisions are based on the good of individuals or the species. Business decisions are just things we have to do because we inherited some economic structure we were born into.

    When its a moral thing, I go through great lengths to satisfy those requirements, even to the point if personal sacrifice as its more important than stuff or money.

  3. #363
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Me being true to my word is not an issue, when I make a promise I keep it.

    The problem is you think a legal deal is the same thing as a promise.

    Peoples inability to tell the difference is the real issue in this thread and their ignorance is why I've been called all sorts of names for basically no reason
    Okay, so what if a bank refuses to give you a loan until you verbally promise to pay it back?

    Would that make you feel any more responsibility to repay your debts (assuming you agreed to promise to repay the loan)?


    BTW - when I agree to do anything, I take it as a promise.

    The fact that you seem to have levels of responsibility...that you feel you are safe from karma or morality simply because you did not use the word 'promise' - speaks volumes about you.

    'Hey, I never promised to drive you to the hospital...I just said I would.'.
    Last edited by DA60; 01-24-15 at 11:24 AM.

  4. #364
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    I've never argued that. My argument is that if we are going to start pinning morality on the financial decisions of persons, then this is a great time to start really discussing morality in the free market (or the lack there of).
    It's not about financial decisions. It is about being honest and of sufficient character to fulfill obligations you willingly agree to fulfill. Believing it's OK to welsh on a loan from a business because it suits you is a revelation of your character, not the character of the lender.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  5. #365
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Okay, so what if a bank refuses to give you a loan until you verbally promise to pay it back?

    Would that make you feel any more responsibility to repay your debts?
    There is no true entity to accept that promise just an entity born of paperwork and is not something organic. A business has no mind or soul so there is nothing to receive that promise.

    What you ask is literally impossible to do. (I am of course assuming you want me to mean the words I say)

  6. #366
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    So much rationalization. The fact that there are consequences for breaking your contract doesn't relieve you of the moral obligation to keep your word and promise.
    defaulting on a loan does not "break the contract"

    You have to make up that BS because you want to absolve the lender of any duty to abide by the terms of the agreement it entered into - an agreement that allows the borrower to settle the loan through foreclosure
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #367
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    I've never argued that. My argument is that if we are going to start pinning morality on the financial decisions of persons, then this is a great time to start really discussing morality in the free market (or the lack there of).
    Strawman...

  8. #368
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    It's not about financial decisions. It is about being honest and of sufficient character to fulfill obligations you willingly agree to fulfill.
    Transferring the collateral to the lender is one way to fulfill the obligations the borrower agreed to fulfill.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #369
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Strawman...
    It's hard for me to lay a straw man if I am discussing my own arguments, when by definition, a straw man would require me to be talking about someone else's argument.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  10. #370
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    When its a business decision its not a moral decision. Moral decisions are based on the good of individuals or the species. Business decisions are just things we have to do because we inherited some economic structure we were born into.

    When its a moral thing, I go through great lengths to satisfy those requirements, even to the point if personal sacrifice as its more important than stuff or money.
    It's not about the decision. It's not about whether it's business or personal. It is about you doing what you agree to do. If you enter into an agreement to borrow money and the lender writes you a check that you have cashed, they lived up to their obligation. You don't have any excuse for refusing to live up to yours. How does it feel to be LESS moral than a mortgage company?
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Page 37 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •