View Poll Results: Is there a moral obligation to repay money you borrow?

Voters
319. You may not vote on this poll
  • If you borrow money, you are morally obligated to repay it.

    110 34.48%
  • I feel no moral obligation to repay loans I've taken out

    209 65.52%
Page 36 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 906

Thread: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

  1. #351
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    It's wrong for you. It is wrong for me. It is wrong in the free market. Arguing that you only have to be moral if everyone else is moral proves that you don't understand morality. It is a revelation of your character, not anyone else's. This isn't about financial decisions. This is about whether or not you feel compelled to do what you have agreed to do. The bank cut you the check like they agreed to do. Their morality isn't the issue. Yours is.
    I never mentioned everyone else, you are adding that aspect to my argument where I never did. So in the beginning it shows you do not understand right and wrong. So when you can correctly put my point of view in your own words, you have nothing but a straw man

  2. #352
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Banks have gone out of business and failed to fulfill their obligations because of that. It isn't moral for a bank to keep money that it accepted from you with a condition to repay just like it is immoral for you to do the same. Just between you and me, I trust the bank to repay money I deposit way, WAY more than I would trust you to repay money you have borrowed.
    Thata's just another demonstration of how supremely idiotic your argument is because my history shows that I have a 100% rate of paying back loans while banks do not have a 100% rate of repaying their loans.


    By comparison to you, every bank I've done business with gas been a paragon of virtue and morality. Not once have I had reason to believe they would willingly renege on their obligations just because it suits them. But I believe you would.
    By comparison to me, banks are the equivalent of highway robbers and they have a long history of not paying back what they owe
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #353
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Exactly, national and societal interest guides my moral feelings and actions far more than some institution that only exists to make money.

    Thank you for mentioning that very important point.
    Upholding your word has nothing to do with who exactly the other party is. When you make a promise you should try to hold to it. Period. There is nothing situational about this.

  4. #354
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    It's not a "moral obligation to an istitution". It is a moral obligation to do what you agree to do, to mean what you say and to live up to your agreements. It isn't about the lender, their morals or lack thereof. It is about YOUR morality. Or lack thereof.
    If this is truly your concern you phrased the OP very poorly. I live up to my personal agreements when possible. (Not possible would have to be something pretty major like hospitalization or some other catastrophic circumstance).

    However legal agreements and personal agreements are not the same thing.

  5. #355
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    My credit score is perfect



    I said that the contract does not require one to repay and I am right. The reason why collection mechanisms are a part of the contract is because both the lender and the borrower have agreed to those terms.



    The fact that the lender agreed to the terms means that they have agreed to accept the property in order to settle the loan. Holding the bank to the terms that *it* agreed to is not immoral. Only the morally depraved would think that the borrower is the only one who must be held to the terms of an agreenment, but not the lender
    So much rationalization. The fact that there are consequences for breaking your contract doesn't relieve you of the moral obligation to keep your word and promise.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  6. #356
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    And people being true to their word is a good thing to promote. Btw, the last part about soley for profit is an example of what I have observed about liberals since '98.
    Me being true to my word is not an issue, when I make a promise I keep it.

    The problem is you think a legal deal is the same thing as a promise.

    Peoples inability to tell the difference is the real issue in this thread and their ignorance is why I've been called all sorts of names for basically no reason

  7. #357
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    If this is truly your concern you phrased the OP very poorly. I live up to my personal agreements when possible. (Not possible would have to be something pretty major like hospitalization or some other catastrophic circumstance).

    However legal agreements and personal agreements are not the same thing.
    In addition, the legal agreement known as a mortgage contains several options to satisfy the loan, including transferring the property to the bank (ie foreclosure). The borrower is not the only one who is held to the terms of the agreement; so is the lender and the lender agreed to accept the property as payment so there's nothing wrong with holding the lender to that part of the agreement
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #358
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    It's wrong for you. It is wrong for me. It is wrong in the free market. Arguing that you only have to be moral if everyone else is moral proves that you don't understand morality. It is a revelation of your character, not anyone else's. This isn't about financial decisions. This is about whether or not you feel compelled to do what you have agreed to do. The bank cut you the check like they agreed to do. Their morality isn't the issue. Yours is.
    I've never argued that. My argument is that if we are going to start pinning morality on the financial decisions of persons, then this is a great time to start really discussing morality in the free market (or the lack there of).
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  9. #359
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    If this is truly your concern you phrased the OP very poorly. I live up to my personal agreements when possible. (Not possible would have to be something pretty major like hospitalization or some other catastrophic circumstance).

    However legal agreements and personal agreements are not the same thing.
    But the morality of doing what you agree to do isn't conditional on whether "it's business" or "personal" or whether it is a business or person that you decide to welsh on. It is about you having the integrity, honor and character to live up to your agreements. Clearly you do not.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  10. #360
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Me being true to my word is not an issue, when I make a promise I keep it.

    The problem is you think a legal deal is the same thing as a promise.

    Peoples inability to tell the difference is the real issue in this thread and their ignorance is why I've been called all sorts of names for basically no reason
    Agreeing to pay back a loan is a promise.

Page 36 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •