View Poll Results: Is there a moral obligation to repay money you borrow?

Voters
319. You may not vote on this poll
  • If you borrow money, you are morally obligated to repay it.

    110 34.48%
  • I feel no moral obligation to repay loans I've taken out

    209 65.52%
Page 35 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 906

Thread: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

  1. #341
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    How can anybody argue you should pay back a loan from a moral stand point???

    I don't consider it moral or immoral, but one should repay debt for the sake of their financial wellbeing and credit score. If your house goes into foreclosure, I don't consider you immoral. I would consider your financial stability and credit score to be unfavorable.
    Of course you can argue that to say you will do something (pay back a loan) and then not do it is very much to do with morality.

    'mor·al

    1.
    concerned with the principles of right and wrong behavior and the goodness or badness of human character.'

    https://www.google.ca/search?q=moral...sm=93&ie=UTF-8


    Anyone that says they will do something and then does not do it - and worse - never has any intention of doing it unless it was to their advantage...this states volumes about their character.

    The fact that you do not see this speaks volumes about yours, btw.

  2. #342
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    It's cute you see it as rationalization. It is simply morality. One of the purposes of morality is to promote the good aspects of society and either remain neutral or push against the negative aspects. Solely for profits are an evil, but a necessary one given our current technological level, so they are to be tolerated but never thought of as a good because they conflict with higher priorities. It is as simple as that.
    It's cute to see you try to act like rationalizing away obligations you agreed to is simply "morality". Cute is a really pathetic and sad kind of way.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  3. #343
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Bullcrap. The fact that your credit sucks so bad that you can only get secured loans isn't to be construed as prof that repayment is "optional".
    My credit score is perfect

    The terms of the contract DO call for you to repay. The fact that collection mechanisms are part of the contract aren't proof that you don't have an obligation. It's there just so there so that it is clear what actions will be taken if you renege on your obligation.
    I said that the contract does not require one to repay and I am right. The reason why collection mechanisms are a part of the contract is because both the lender and the borrower have agreed to those terms.

    The fact that a bank will foreclose if you don't pay isn't a justification that it is OK not to repay any more than the fact that the government will send you to jail if you steal makes it OK to steal and just do the time for it.
    The fact that the lender agreed to the terms means that they have agreed to accept the property in order to settle the loan. Holding the bank to the terms that *it* agreed to is not immoral. Only the morally depraved would think that the borrower is the only one who must be held to the terms of an agreenment, but not the lender
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #344
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    You'd be wrong in your wishful thinking. Several, including the one poster who liked your post, have stated repeatedly words to the effect that they would opt to default at the drop of a hat if it benefited them personally. As a result, they believe that defrauding a business lender is perfectly acceptable and laughably "expected" by lenders.
    defaulting on a loan is not, in and of itself, fraudulent in any way.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #345
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Morality is to character.

    'mor·al
    ˈmôrəl/Submit
    adjective
    1.
    concerned with the principles of right and wrong behavior and the goodness or badness of human character.'


    https://www.google.ca/search?q=moral...sm=93&ie=UTF-8


    And I believe to say you will pay something back and then not to do it shows weakness of character.

    I am not paying back the loan primarily to save my own skin. I am doing it because I wish to be known (to others as well as myself) as a person who honors his obligations, who does what he said he will do.


    The fact that so many people voted 'no' explains the massive interest in Keynesian economics/big-government-regardless-of-debt-level, these days.

    Since about 2002 (and DEFINITELY since 2007), America (and most of the western world/Japan) has become a moochers paradise.

    Sad.

    I wonder if these are the same sad bunch that get themselves massively into debt and then go and run to the government and try and get other people to bail them out? Probably.

    Moochers are so useless to me.


    BTW, if the above offends any moochers....GOOD.
    Last edited by DA60; 01-24-15 at 11:15 AM.

  6. #346
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    [emphasis added by bubba]

    weak straw man
    that one owns a business enterprise does not then cause him/her to be found immoral
    however, being active within a business, engaged in commerce, does provide that owner with numerous opportunities to display their immorality by their own actions
    It was an observation of something I have been seeing for sixteen plus years. I can bring up seemingly any random company and some liberal will start claiming awful things about them. This many times comes at the conclusion that they are soulless and not worth any real consideration.

  7. #347
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I wonder how many that think repaying loans is "optional" think that giving you back the money you deposit is also optional? You can take legal action against them so they have no obligation to return your funds if they decide they would rather not. Right?
    There have been many instances in our history when banks did not pay back the money that people deposited in their accounts. That's why there's insurance for savings accounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #348
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    So when it happens in the free market, your thoughts are???

    Also, if we're getting into the practice of talking about morality in financial decisions, is now a good time to bring up worker rights and worker pay?
    It's wrong for you. It is wrong for me. It is wrong in the free market. Arguing that you only have to be moral if everyone else is moral proves that you don't understand morality. It is a revelation of your character, not anyone else's. This isn't about financial decisions. This is about whether or not you feel compelled to do what you have agreed to do. The bank cut you the check like they agreed to do. Their morality isn't the issue. Yours is.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  9. #349
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    It's cute you see it as rationalization. It is simply morality. One of the purposes of morality is to promote the good aspects of society and either remain neutral or push against the negative aspects. Solely for profits are an evil, but a necessary one given our current technological level, so they are to be tolerated but never thought of as a good because they conflict with higher priorities. It is as simple as that.
    And people being true to their word is a good thing to promote. Btw, the last part about soley for profit is an example of what I have observed about liberals since '98.

  10. #350
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    There have been many instances in our history when banks did not pay back the money that people deposited in their accounts. That's why there's insurance for savings accounts.
    Banks have gone out of business and failed to fulfill their obligations because of that. It isn't moral for a bank to keep money that it accepted from you with a condition to repay just like it is immoral for you to do the same. Just between you and me, I trust the bank to repay money I deposit way, WAY more than I would trust you to repay money you have borrowed. By comparison to you, every bank I've done business with gas been a paragon of virtue and morality. Not once have I had reason to believe they would willingly renege on their obligations just because it suits them. But I believe you would.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Page 35 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •