View Poll Results: Is there a moral obligation to repay money you borrow?

Voters
319. You may not vote on this poll
  • If you borrow money, you are morally obligated to repay it.

    110 34.48%
  • I feel no moral obligation to repay loans I've taken out

    209 65.52%
Page 29 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 906

Thread: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

  1. #281
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    If it was actually zero it wouldn't accumulate to be a considerable amount. For practical purposes and in reality cost is always cost.
    And practical purposes is what we see at the cash register so that's what actually matters

  2. #282
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Wat??

    I think I know what your saying as as far as I can tell you are trying to imply I secretly see things your way. Oh well I guess I won't get my answer this day
    Oh no. No.

    I do NOT think that you secretly see things as I do.

    Please be clear on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #283
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Oh no. No.

    I do NOT think that you secretly see things as I do.

    Please be clear on that.
    Then why do you accuse me of secretly feeling so!e guilt or trying to avoid some guilt? Why can't you accept I gave you my honest reasoning? Why do you play some game instead?

  4. #284
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    i'm pretty damned sanctimonious at times.... and I have a problem with our foreclosure mechanisms and polices.... it's the ethical egoism in me coming out
    I also have some problems with the process, but my objections are based on national interest not morality.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #285
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Then why do you accuse me of secretly feeling so!e guilt or trying to avoid some guilt? Why can't you accept I gave you my honest reasoning? Why do you play some game instead?
    Oh, only because you were not saying so. You were publicly and proudly justifying your perspective. But lots of things can be fueling that vigorous justification.

    And if honest, I probably dont think any differently, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #286
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Oh, only because you were not saying so. You were publicly and proudly justifying your perspective. But lots of things can be fueling that vigorous justification.

    And if honest, I probably dont think any differently, lol.
    To be clear. I am not so enamored by people on an internet forum that I have no personal connection with to say anything but the truth of my perspective. I have no motivation to lie.

    You cannot harm me
    You hold no power over me
    You cannot block access to anything I want
    You cannot harm my children or others I care for

    In other words I have no reason to fear you and nothing to gain by appeasing you and personal connections do not work well in this medium so I have no motivation in that context either. (And quite frankly what motivates me in life is personal connection or approaching actualization anyway so I hate that I even had to put it in such crude animal terms as fear or appeasement, but it is the clearest language I can muster)

    So in essence I use this site to learn what motivates people so that in life I may be more successful in a number of pursuits such as deeper interpersonal relationships, my own emotional quotient, a better understanding of society, even trivial crap such as defending myself in workplace politics, and such as that. If I were to provide anything less than how I see things, then the information I receive in return would be tainted. You can be certain how I state how I feel is how I feel and that it is never personal unless who I am talking is just being an ass (and you do not seem to be an ass but an intelligent and truthful person worthy of respect). So when I appear baffled its because I am as being baffled is a useful vehicle for learning.

    I am not trying to deceive you I just want to understand what motivates you. The patterns I see in your reasoning indicate a number of intuitive leaps I am unable to follow and I suspect that this is where you may think I am following as well but default to feeling I am dishonest because I do not follow them. Its a reasoning mistake a lot of people make including myself because it takes a lot of training to recognize when oneself is making that leap and most never receive that training (and to be fair, most people are not smart enough for that training, your use of language indicates that you are smart enough however). When I ask you why, I am trying to dig into that intuition to see what really motivates your morality (where my intuition may be different and thus have a different moral basis and perspective) to

    1 understand what you are talking about
    2 understand why its important to you
    3 see if there is merit in it and thus change my own perspective.

    I did not intend this to be an actual argument but an exchange we can learn fro!.

    Shall we try again?
    Last edited by tacomancer; 01-23-15 at 11:54 PM.

  7. #287
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    To be clear. I am not so enamored by people on an internet forum that I have no personal connection with to say anything but the truth of my perspective. I have no motivation to lie.

    You cannot harm me
    You hold no power over me
    You cannot block access to anything I want
    You cannot harm my children or others I care for

    In other words I have no reason to fear you and nothing to gain by appeasing you and personal connections do not work well in this medium so I have no motivation in that context either. (And quite frankly what motivates me in life is personal connection or approaching actualization anyway so I hate that I even had to put it in such crude animal terms as fear or appeasement, but it is the clearest language I can muster)

    So in essence I use this site to learn what motivates people so that in life I may be more successful in a number of pursuits such as deeper interpersonal relationships, my own emotional quotient, a better understanding of society, even trivial crap such as defending myself in workplace politics, and such as that. If I were to provide anything less than how I see things, then the information I receive in return would be tainted. You can be certain how I state how I feel is how I feel and that it is never personal unless who I am talking is just being an ass (and you do not seem to be an ass but an intelligent and truthful person worthy of respect). So when I appear baffled its because I am as being baffled is a useful vehicle for learning.

    I am not trying to deceive you I just want to understand what motivates you. The patterns I see in your reasoning indicate a number of intuitive leaps I am unable to follow and I suspect that this is where you may think I am following as well but default to feeling I am dishonest because I do not follow them. Its a reasoning mistake a lot of people make including myself because it takes a lot of training to recognize when oneself is making that leap and most never receive that training (and to be fair, most people are not smart enough for that training, your use of language indicates that you are smart enough however). When I ask you why, I am trying to dig into that intuition to see what really motivates your morality (where my intuition may be different and thus have a different moral basis and perspective) to

    1 understand what you are talking about
    2 understand why its important to you
    3 see if there is merit in it and thus change my own perspective.

    I did not intend this to be an actual argument but an exchange we can learn fro!.

    Shall we try again?
    Alot more justification IMO.

    I wasnt that interested to begin with. I took your statements at (mostly) face value. As I presume you meant them.

    In general I find your posts mostly well-balanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #288
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    You sign a promise to repay (usually with interest). You gave your word*. You then feel no obligation to uphold your word, AND you feel no guilt whatsoever about it.

    I think we've stumbled upon what's wrong with society.

    Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]-tha-jpg

    *- Unforeseen dire circumstances not included.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #289
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,345

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Which they promptly pass on to their other customers
    Are you saying Bankers don't normally try to make as much money as the can without regard for their customers? You don't know bankers. If they could get more they would do it fines or not. The fines will "hurt" the bankers bonuses a bit. But don't worry they'll get by. They should have went to jail though.

  10. #290
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,446

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    How can anybody argue you should pay back a loan from a moral stand point???

    I don't consider it moral or immoral, but one should repay debt for the sake of their financial wellbeing and credit score. If your house goes into foreclosure, I don't consider you immoral. I would consider your financial stability and credit score to be unfavorable.

Page 29 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •