View Poll Results: Is there a moral obligation to repay money you borrow?

Voters
319. You may not vote on this poll
  • If you borrow money, you are morally obligated to repay it.

    110 34.48%
  • I feel no moral obligation to repay loans I've taken out

    209 65.52%
Page 22 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 906

Thread: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

  1. #211
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    wasn't there a late 50's, early 60's writer whose moral positions continue to be embraced, especially by the libertarians, because she espoused self interested behavior

    or maybe you would prefer to shrug it off
    I don't imagine you want share how she was using the words "self interest", do you?

  2. #212
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    According to your own posts the only reason you play nice is because its to your benefit. Self centered much?

    This thread has also proven a suspicion I had about you. When you say something is a necessary evil you're actually talking about an understanding you have about yourself. You know certain laws are needed to keep you in check.
    Heh keep me in check?

    No, my statement was that resource distribution methods are a necessary evil because people are too immoral to share freely on a global scale so we invented a game instead. Perfect anarchic communism (star trek federation style) would be my ideal but human nature is too screwed up for that, and I learned a long time ago that you can't fix the world and you will just kill yourself trying, so try to be happy where you can.

  3. #213
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,999

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The fact that it's not a person lending the money.



    Yes, that is exactly it. I don't expect a bank to do what is moral; I expect the bank to do what is in its' best interests to do.

    The bank should expect the same from me
    Your comments are interesting.

    Reminds me some of the logic people have when insurance companies have to pay out large sums. Its the insurance company, right. Well where does the insurance gets its funds to pay out? From individuals, not a company.

    While it may not be a moral issue, it is a issue of what is a persons word worth.

  4. #214
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    That's capitalism, its based on being self centered. It's usually promoted as a virtue by its proponent except they like to use the phrase self interest.

    To put it in a more common parlance. Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    The fact that many people agree with you is ironically the only reason your ideology exists. If people didn't treat each other like filth in the marketplace your regulation happy ideology would never get off the ground. Thanks for being the problem you hate.

  5. #215
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,736

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    Yes for so long as my situation allows me to repay it.
    And then what?

    Interesting point. Are you entitled to your car or home at the expense of the lender?

    Is the fact that the lender is 'bigger' or has more money or can spread that loss out over others justification?

    Or does the lender accept this implicitly and consent to that risk when they make the loan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #216
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Heh keep me in check?

    No, my statement was that resource distribution methods are a necessary evil because people are too immoral to share freely on a global scale so we invented a game instead. Perfect anarchic communism (star trek federation style) would be my ideal but human nature is too screwed up for that, and I learned a long time ago that you can't fix the world and you will just kill yourself trying, so try to be happy where you can.
    Socialism is not sharing nor is sharing nessarcy.

  7. #217
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The fact that many people agree with you is ironically the only reason your ideology exists. If people didn't treat each other like filth in the marketplace your regulation happy ideology would never get off the ground.
    Lol! People agreeing is the only reason any ideology exists!

    Its all just social construct. If people didn't treat each other like filth then all of human history would be different let alone our current systems. Hell we would have probably never developed our technology so far to even have modern capitalism because the world would be much more idyllic and small scale. It may have been the worst thing to happen to us because at least with modern technology we have a much greater chance of propagating to multiple planets and continuing the species.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 01-23-15 at 09:48 PM.

  8. #218
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Socialism is not sharing nor is sharing nessarcy.
    Socialism isn't communism

    Socialism in its modern understanding has market economy aspects

  9. #219
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,239

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    I am debt-phobic. I am doing everything possible to pay my 30 year loan off in 10 years...because it is my money I am saving....
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  10. #220
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    I think, barring extreme unforeseen circumstances, there is never an excuse not to pay back loans. If ahead of time you know you probably won't be able to pay it back, then don't take it out. Live within your means for once.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

Page 22 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •