View Poll Results: Is there a moral obligation to repay money you borrow?

Voters
319. You may not vote on this poll
  • If you borrow money, you are morally obligated to repay it.

    110 34.48%
  • I feel no moral obligation to repay loans I've taken out

    209 65.52%
Page 16 of 91 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 906

Thread: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

  1. #151
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    And that argument fails as I already pointed out the fundamental logically difference between a bank and a person
    And your argument fails as I've already pointed out since if a persons morality is flexible and default can be justified, they'll do that to regular people with the same justification.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The agreements terms include non-payment so not paying is not "not holding up your end of the agreement"; It's a part of the agreement.
    Lol! That goes into effect after you failed to uphold your side of the agreement.

  3. #153
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    And your argument fails as I've already pointed out since if a persons morality is flexible and default can be justified, they'll do that to regular people with the same justification.
    I never have and I've taken pretty disgusting work for the money to repay someone. Why? Because when dealing with an individual its more than just a business deal, there is a relationship and a person who is deserving at both ends.

    The two scenarios are completely different to me. When I make an investment I accept risk and I have no obligation for profit or even that business surviving. Because I accept that risk I accept people defaulting but on a business level, not a moral one.

    Its just money. People are far more important

  4. #154
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Abiding by the terms of a mortgage - and mortgages specify what happens in cases of non-payment - is not "****ing over a corporation
    You want to change the subject and the situation to justify moving the goal posts.... Gee.. never saw that happen before on a forum.

    It's nice to know your have a very flexible sense or morality. Solid as jello.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #155
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Nonsense.
    that's convincing..

    I'm sure you base some moral decisions on the person and the situation being dealt with.
    I'm sure I do too...


    Take killing people - I'm sure you think there are certain situations and certain people where it's moral to kill them and other situations and people where it's not OK.
    well certainly, I do find it moral to kill some folks...and immoral to kill others.
    making that determination is quite a bit different than determining whether or not I have a moral obligation to repay my debts, though.

    Your pretense of moral superiority is laughable because your position is so far removed from morality that you have to argue that morality is completely independent of reality.
    the pretense of moral superiority exists only in your mind... i'm lots of things, but morally superior is generally not something i'm ever accused of.
    but I do understand you getting defensive, nonetheless.

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    I never have and I've taken pretty disgusting work for the money to repay someone. Why? Because when dealing with an individual its more than just a business deal, there is a relationship and a person who is deserving at both ends.
    So I can take out a loan and then decide the other party is immoral and be not be morally obligated to pay back the loan? Lol!

  7. #157
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    I never have and I've taken pretty disgusting work for the money to repay someone. Why? Because when dealing with an individual its more than just a business deal, there is a relationship and a person who is deserving at both ends.
    Congratulations. I'm sorry though it doesn't change my view or my opinion on the subject.

    Think of the person at the corporation who's responsible for say a loan or dollars ... they'll get reprimanded or in the worst case fired, they'll be out of work and that puts his/her kids and family at risk of losing their house, apartment, car, ability to live. But hey... wtf.... it's only a soulless corporation right? **** 'em right?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #158
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,180

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Could this possibly be a partisan troll thread?
    Good evening Risky

    And no, it's actually been an interesting and enlightening discussion.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  9. #159
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So I can take out a loan and then decide the other party is immoral and be not be morally obligated to pay back the loan? Lol!
    Yes, hopefully the person on the other end was smart enough to bind you in a contract. If not, its a life lesson for them.

    Not sure why this would be funny though

  10. #160
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    If those guys choose to be victims, then maybe they learn better at some point.

    I'm not placing myself st the mercy of an evil (while a necessary evil for economic functionality, its an evil) if I can help it
    For me, it has nothing to do with evil, or morality

    Business is supposed to be done at "arms length". Emotion and morals have nothing to do with it. In order for the market to work at its' most efficient, all parties must act according to their own best interests. Anything else distorts the market
    Last edited by sangha; 01-23-15 at 08:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 16 of 91 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •