View Poll Results: Is there a moral obligation to repay money you borrow?

Voters
319. You may not vote on this poll
  • If you borrow money, you are morally obligated to repay it.

    110 34.48%
  • I feel no moral obligation to repay loans I've taken out

    209 65.52%
Page 14 of 91 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 906

Thread: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

  1. #131
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    There is nothing immoral about taking a course of action that the lender agreed to when it entered into the contract but there is something profoundly unwise and morally depraved in thinking there's something wrong with making a choice that even the lender agreed you are free to make.
    You have an odd sense of morality but not for me to judge - that will be left for those who actually know you to decide.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  2. #132
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Nice strawman...

    You did say this right?


    Which prompted my response that if you'll **** over a corporation for money as in repayment of a loan, you'll **** over anyone and justify it ... it's not difficult to understand.
    No there is a huge fundamental difference here, you seem to think his argument is based on emotion when its simply quid pro quo, amoral entities do not deserve moral consideration as morality is fundamentally an agreement made by society for certain behaviors for the mutual benefit of individuals within that society (primarily driven by instinct but social contract also plays a role). If a group foregoes that moral contract then they do not deserve moral consideration in return and therefore are shunted to the lower realm of business thought instead. This so rarely happens among individuals (moral failings are not the same as amoral behaviors) that you cannot simply equate the two scenarios on the basis of feelings like you are implying

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Nonsense.

    I'm sure you base some moral decisions on the person the situation is dealing with.

    Take killing people - I'm sure you think there are certain situations and certain people where it's moral to kill them and other situations and people where it's not OK.

    Your pretense of moral superiority is laughable because your position is so far removed from morality that you have to argue that morality is completely independent of reality.
    Someone attacking you is nothing like someone giving you a loan. If the business is immoral has nothing to do with anything we are talking about.

  4. #134
    Sage
    Skeptic Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    10,265

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    If I borrowed money from an individual, yes, I feel morally obligated to pay it back.

    If I borrowed money from a credit union or local bank, yes, I feel morally obligated to pay it back.

    If it is a large corporate bank like Bank of America, no, I feel not one iota of moral obligation to pay it back. I DO pay it back because I don't want to screw up my credit or get sued, but it isn't out of any sense of moral obligation. **** BoA.

  5. #135
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And I'll repeat "Abiding by the terms of a mortgage - and mortgages specify what happens in cases of non-payment - is not "****ing over a corporation"
    And I'll repeat, If you'll **** over a corporation for money and justify it, you'll **** over anyone for money and justify it.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #136
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    And I'll repeat, If you'll **** over a corporation for money and justify it, you'll **** over anyone for money and justify it.
    Post 132

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    No there is a huge fundamental difference here, you seem to think his argument is based on emotion when its simply quid pro quo, amoral entities do not deserve moral consideration as morality is fundamentally an agreement made by society for certain behaviors for the mutual benefit of individuals within that society (primarily driven by instinct but social contract also plays a role). If a group foregoes that moral contract then they do not deserve moral consideration in return. This so rarely happens among individuals (moral failings are not the same as amoral behaviors) that you cannot simply equate the two scenarios on the basis of feelings like you are implying
    Then I suppose society can just torture criminals and not have to worry about moral concerns. Really, just because someone is immoral doesn't give you a free pass to do the same.

  8. #138
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    No there is a huge fundamental difference here, you seem to think his argument is based on emotion when its simply quid pro quo, amoral entities do not deserve moral consideration as morality is fundamentally an agreement made by society for certain behaviors for the mutual benefit of individuals within that society (primarily driven by instinct but social contract also plays a role). If a group foregoes that moral contract then they do not deserve moral consideration in return and therefore are shunted to the realm of business thought instead. This so rarely happens among individuals (moral failings are not the same as amoral behaviors) that you cannot simply equate the two scenarios on the basis of feelings like you are implying
    No, my argument is if you'll do it to a corporation and justify it you'll do it to anyone to justify it. There's no emotion involved.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #139
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I disagree. The fact that we're talking about mortgages given by banks means we're talking about a specific type of agreement - one where both parties understand that non-payment is a possibility and both parties understand and agree that in such a case, foreclosure occurs.

    It's all a part of the terms of the contract.
    well, as i see it , it really depends on your personal view of holding up your end of the agreement.

    whether or not the bank has a moral obligation is irrelevant to me... I don't find it necessary to match or replicate the basis on which they act.

  10. #140
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Post 132
    Post 114. :
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 14 of 91 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •