View Poll Results: Is there a moral obligation to repay money you borrow?

Voters
319. You may not vote on this poll
  • If you borrow money, you are morally obligated to repay it.

    110 34.48%
  • I feel no moral obligation to repay loans I've taken out

    209 65.52%
Page 10 of 91 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 906

Thread: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?[W:461]

  1. #91
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Well, if there's one thing that I've learned from this thread, it's that liberals are dicks.
    I don't really agree... but I did laugh like hell.

  2. #92
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    If you borrow money, do you feel there is a moral obligation to repay the money you borrowed?

    If at all humanly possible.


    However, many lenders should be a little more humane in working with people who are going through a rough time.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #93
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,457

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    There is no splitting hairs, it is ok because its business and business is amoral. If business weren't amoral, people would not be laid off because of stuff like profit margins.
    Those profit margins are what pay for lots of peoples' retirement. Like it or not corporate management has a legal and moral obligation to do right with the assets that the owners of those assets have entrusted in them.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  4. #94
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,186

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    what i failed to see was you pointing out that conservatives frequently fail to pay their debts. i provided a 'sterling' example of THE donald and his frequent forays into bankruptcy court to avoid his corporation(s) paying their just financial obligations
    you want to make this morality question one depicting the left as immoral debtors versus the moral conservatives who always fulfill their debt obligations
    i am pointing out the bull **** of your argument
    not surprising that you resent the truth being placed front and center
    I'll be damned if I'd accept Donald Trump as either a conservative or moral. But you're absolutely right about big money people often having the cash and the expertise to game the system to their own financial benefit and that should be wrong in anyone's book.
    Last edited by CanadaJohn; 01-23-15 at 07:32 PM.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #95
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,457

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Because liberals are smart enough to understand the amorality of business while the moronic right wingers are incapable of anything other than worshipping corporate entities.
    The question wasn't just restricted to lending by banks. It was a general statement. What if you borrow 10 grand from your brother in law?
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  6. #96
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    Those profit margins are what pay for lots of peoples' retirement. Like it or not corporate management has a legal and moral obligation to do right with the assets that the owners of those assets have entrusted in them.
    By "do right" are you referring to the way banks sold mortgages to people they knew could not afford them because they could avoid all the risk of default by selling the loan off to the govt?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #97
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    The question wasn't just restricted to lending by banks. It was a general statement. What if you borrow 10 grand from your brother in law?
    It was though, as this is a carry over from a previous discussion where Papa Bull tried to say that a liberal professor was trying to promote for people to default on their loans and that those people were immoral.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  8. #98
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    By "do right" are you referring to the way banks sold mortgages to people they knew could not afford them because they could avoid all the risk of default by selling the loan off to the govt?
    And then unintentionally bought them back in mortgage-backed securities? LOL
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  9. #99
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    The question wasn't just restricted to lending by banks. It was a general statement. What if you borrow 10 grand from your brother in law?
    Later on in the thread, the OP clarified that banks selling mortgages is what he was thinking of.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #100
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,186

    Re: Are you morally obligated to repay a loan that you take?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Not paying back a mortgage is not "cheating". The consequences of not paying the mortgage are a part of the agreement that both the borrower *and* the lender agreed to.
    Not paying back a mortgage, while you financially are capable of doing so, simply because you feel the home is no longer worth more than the debt you owe on it is immoral. Not paying back a mortgage when your life situation changes through no fault of your own and you are no longer financially capable of doing so is not immoral.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 10 of 91 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •