View Poll Results: The #1 war determining factor is:

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Understanding the culture and the people of the enemy

    52 57.14%
  • Wealth to fund the war

    12 13.19%
  • Military strategy

    14 15.38%
  • Other

    13 14.29%
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 152

Thread: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

  1. #51
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:13 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,324
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Except when you disagree with me.
    No, especially when I disagree with you.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #52
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Here is a list, I think that is more than just "very few": History of guerrilla warfare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    That list is flawed, because The Viet Cong was destroyed in 1968 and Giap transitioned to a conventional force using conventional tactics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #53
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No, especially when I disagree with you.
    Exactly!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #54
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,707

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    "Inflicting more damage, in less time than the enemy"
    That NEVER ensures a victory in war. Vietnam shows US that loud and clear.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  5. #55
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,707

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Actually, there are very few examples of a successful guerilla war and no, Vietnam isn't one of them.
    Nonsense. The Vietcong were well entrenched by 1968 and were chiefly responsible for the success of Tet.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  6. #56
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Nonsense. The Vietcong were well entrenched by 1968 and were chiefly responsible for the success of Tet.
    You're wrong on both accounts. 1) The Viet Cong ceased to exist during Tet. VC units were either disbanded, or absorbed into The NVA. 2) The Tet Offensive of a massive failure for the Communists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #57
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    That NEVER ensures a victory in war. Vietnam shows US that loud and clear.
    How did we win The Rev-War, The Mexican War, The Texas Revolution, The Civil War, The Indian Wars, The Span-Am War, WW1, WW2, Grenada, Desert Storm, Iraq and Afghanistan?

    By, "causing more damage in less time, than the enemy".
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #58
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:13 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,324
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You're wrong on both accounts. 1) The Viet Cong ceased to exist during Tet. VC units were either disbanded, or absorbed into The NVA. 2) The Tet Offensive of a massive failure for the Communists.
    Sorta, but they found success in that failure and exploited it quickly(ie the US tiring of war they seemed unable to win). And while the NVA was actually mostly responsible for the win, the reason had to do with their ability to absorb the lasses they suffered and in fact planning their strategy largely around how much they could sustainably lose. Killing the enemy does not win a war.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #59
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Sorta, but they found success in that failure and exploited it quickly(ie the US tiring of war they seemed unable to win). And while the NVA was actually mostly responsible for the win, the reason had to do with their ability to absorb the lasses they suffered and in fact planning their strategy largely around how much they could sustainably lose. Killing the enemy does not win a war.
    The Communists relied on pro-communist Left Wing elements in The United States to undermine the war effort. People like Jane Fonda, Walter Kronkite and John Kerry did a fantastic job of destroying the country's morale and resolve. Had US forces done more damage, in less time, the war would have been decided before the domestic pro-Communist forces could get organized.

    Wars are one by killing the enemy and destroying his ability to wage war. You won't find a war, where killing the enemy wasn't a priority. Forcing the enemy to expensd his combat power to a point that it can't be replenished is always the objective. Its what Grant did in The Overland Campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #60
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:13 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,324
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Communists relied on pro-communist Left Wing elements in The United States to undermine the war effort. People like Jane Fonda, Walter Kronkite and John Kerry did a fantastic job of destroying the country's morale and resolve. Had US forces done more damage, in less time, the war would have been decided before the domestic pro-Communist forces could get organized.

    Wars are one by killing the enemy and destroying his ability to wage war. You won't find a war, where killing the enemy wasn't a priority. Forcing the enemy to expensd his combat power to a point that it can't be replenished is always the objective. Its what Grant did in The Overland Campaign.
    So communist is like socialist, any one who you don't like.

    No, you win war by doing what it takes to achieve your objectives.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •