View Poll Results: The #1 war determining factor is:

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Understanding the culture and the people of the enemy

    52 57.14%
  • Wealth to fund the war

    12 13.19%
  • Military strategy

    14 15.38%
  • Other

    13 14.29%
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 152

Thread: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Ok. What about that "damage"? Damage to the ruling state? Damage to their economy?
    Damage comes in many many flavors... sometimes, it doesn't take much physical damage to do massive amounts of damage to the enemies war fighting efforts.
    such as in the Tet offensive.... very little actual physical damage was incurred by the US, but the war effort was mortally wounded over it. .... that damage was entirely comprised of, at it's very root, the incredulous idea that the enemy was actually still alive and able to fight.... that's it, that's all.
    the mere act of the VC/NVA not being dead caused the US war effort a metric ****ton of damage.

    damage is anything.. anything.... that harms a war fighting effort....

  2. #22
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    Damage comes in many many flavors... sometimes, it doesn't take much physical damage to do massive amounts of damage to the enemies war fighting efforts.
    such as in the Tet offensive.... very little actual physical damage was incurred by the US, but the war effort was mortally wounded over it. .... that damage was entirely comprised of, at it's very root, the incredulous idea that the enemy was actually still alive and able to fight.... that's it, that's all.
    the mere act of the VC/NVA not being dead caused the US war effort a metric ****ton of damage.

    damage is anything.. anything.... that harms a war fighting effort....
    Exactly my point. Pretty much plays into Ho's quote: "You can kill ten of our men for every one we kill of yours. But even at those odds, you will lose and we will win.".


  3. #23
    Professor
    finebead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 09:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,558

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    I said "other". The nation must support the war, and in order to support the war the people of the nation must believe it is justified and the cause is worth the sacrifice of their life, or the life of their child.

    Without that, you can have all the money, all the strategy, and understand your opponent, and you can fail. Witness Vietnam.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Exactly my point. Pretty much plays into Ho's quote: "You can kill ten of our men for every one we kill of yours. But even at those odds, you will lose and we will win.".
    The will to win must be at least one of the most important factors. The Vietnamese were totally committed to their war of liberation. The forces against them, not so much.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #25
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    The number 1 determining factor in war, in my opinion, is whether your political/strategic goals are achievable, and if they are, how much is society willing to sacrifice to achieve them.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  6. #26
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Exactly my point. Pretty much plays into Ho's quote: "You can kill ten of our men for every one we kill of yours. But even at those odds, you will lose and we will win.".
    you point was that guerrilla wars somehow prove the maxim wrong.... and your point was incorrect.
    limiting your notion of damage was the initial mistake, but it's not the only one.... and it is truly is a lengthy conversation to have if you want to flesh it out...
    it would probably be quicker to be accepted to USAWC, NWC, or USNWC and take the courses, though

  7. #27
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    you point was that guerrilla wars somehow prove the maxim wrong.... and your point was incorrect.
    limiting your notion of damage was the initial mistake, but it's not the only one.... and it is truly is a lengthy conversation to have if you want to flesh it out...
    it would probably be quicker to be accepted to USAWC, NWC, or USNWC and take the courses, though
    No. The point was "Inflicting more damage, in less time than the enemy". The DRV face massive amounts of bombing raids, bombing industrial zones, bombing economic zones, bombing basically anything and everything. The US struck basically anything and everything, and even on the ground... If destruction leads to victory, then clearly we have many conflicts that dont back up that claim..


  8. #28
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    No. The point was "Inflicting more damage, in less time than the enemy". The DRV face massive amounts of bombing raids, bombing industrial zones, bombing economic zones, bombing basically anything and everything. The US struck basically anything and everything, and even on the ground... If destruction leads to victory, then clearly we have many conflicts that dont back up that claim..
    you're still making the same mistake....

    but it's ok if you don't want to listen,I don't mind... I only had 25 years in uniform living and breathing this stuff, in addition to my time at USNWC and UNNWC-SEA... and of course, reading source material for , oh I dunno.. 35 years or so?
    surely, your extensive knowledge in these military affairs far surpasses mine... maybe tomorrow you can teach me applied military strategy , or MAGTF expeditionary operational doctrine .. or how to shoot a gun... or something.

  9. #29
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,672

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    28 posts and not a single one touched on the single most import factor in winning a war - LOGISTICAL SUPPORT. If you can't arm, feed, transport and keep your army healthy, you will lose. But if you can do these things, you can win just almost any war as long as your military is somewhat close in strength to your enemy.
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,341

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    "Inflicting more damage, in less time than the enemy"
    That sounds like the metric we used to fool ourselves into believing we were winning the Vietnam War. It doesn't mean crap if the enemy has nothing but TIME.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •