View Poll Results: The #1 war determining factor is:

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Understanding the culture and the people of the enemy

    52 57.14%
  • Wealth to fund the war

    12 13.19%
  • Military strategy

    14 15.38%
  • Other

    13 14.29%
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 152

Thread: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

  1. #131
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 09:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    The people and the culture are irrelevant.

    What difference does the other countries people and culture make when they are being obliterated by superior fire power?


    A short war is based primarily on firepower, training and tactics.

    A long war is based more on logistics, technological innovation and manufacturing...but good training is always a big plus. In a long war, if you cannot out build or 'out-technology' your opponent, you probably ain't gonna win.

    Absolutely.

    However by reading the comments and comparing the votes I still think that most people want to go with the politically correct answer.
    From my perspective: Rome wealthy, organized and technologically advanced managed to subdue the regions of Spain, France, England, Egypt, Greece, Syria, etc. Brutal power which was funded by wealth not by understanding any culture, military strategy was important but at the core is to FUND the army.
    England, same case with its navy.
    Portugal same.
    Spain, a bit different - Strategy to take over the Aztec and their gold allowed for massive land conquest.

    Mongols: no cash whatsoever, nor cultural understanding.

    In general, I don't see how understanding the culture of the enemy matters at all in army vs army warfare.

    Yes, guerrilla warfare is a different thing, its a modern phenomenon which rises from a personal belief, not because the fighters are getting paid to kill the enemy as is the case in traditional armies. Historically, FUNDING the war is the ultimate factor, fund science come up with a bigger gun, give it to your army, or the Persian way - Hire mercenaries pay them up and continue on.

    Anyone voting for "Understanding the culture and the people of the enemy" please write a coherent argument, validating such response.

    A few days after the poll, and 4:1 votes, still no one has clearly explained why this is important. Again, it may be the politically correct answer, but if you can't defend it I cannot accept it.

  2. #132
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You provided a source that proved you wrong. Enough said.
    Cant admit that you were proven wrong eh?


  3. #133
    Sage
    Fledermaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peoples Republic of California AKA Taxifornia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,790

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Logistics
    “All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”
    ― Douglas Adams

  4. #134
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fledermaus View Post
    Logistics


    How are logistics going to help any country that's just been turned into a sheet of glass by its well-prepared enemy with a few thousand nukes which were ready to be launched?

    Fill us in.

    You go to war with the military that you have when war breaks out.

  5. #135
    Invictus


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,078

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Wars can be relatively short or of interminable duration. Typically, the longer the duration, the greater the effect of unknowns and unpredictables.

    There are many ingredients for battlefield success that are (or should be) interconnected. A few important ones off the top of my head...

    Political/moral clarity
    Unity of command
    Defining the center of mass
    Clearly defined/obtainable objectives
    ISR capabilities
    Logistics/Comms
    Planning
    Preparing/shaping the battlefield
    Surprise, initiative, and flexibility
    Combined arms coordination and joint operations
    Battle in-depth
    Force multipliers
    Reserves and support


    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -- Marine Corps General James 'Chaos' Mattis

  6. #136
    Sage
    Tim the plumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sheffield
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,251

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    It depends. Let's look at the American Revolution:

    The British should have understood the culture of the opponent, as most of them were British to begin with. Yet, they lost.

    The British had far more wealth than the Colonials did, yet they lost.

    History is full of wars that were lost even though the opponent was well known to the vanquished. Moreover, there are many incidents in which the wealthier nation also lost.

    I'm thinking that there must be other factors of equal or greater importance.
    Understanding what your objective is and how you are going to do it.

    So;

    The Nazi war machine lost in Russia because they had not got a clear idea of what they were replacing the Soviet social/political system with.

    The British lost the North American colonies due to not having a clear structure of governance. It counted as clear in a 17th century sense but by the 18th it was hopelessly behind the times especially when it was trying to govern the most litigious bunch of rich, hard working, inventive and socially advanced people on Earth.

  7. #137
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You mean this?



    Do those guys look like farmers in black pajamas?
    Nor does it look like a palace, more like a tank.

    Just what is the point of all this? I'm picturing you in your pajamas, black or not it doesn't matter, trying to back up a point which was just an aside, not really pertinent to the central issue being discussed, and in which you were clearly wrong. Let's get back to the subject at hand.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #138
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the plumber View Post
    Understanding what your objective is and how you are going to do it.

    So;

    The Nazi war machine lost in Russia because they had not got a clear idea of what they were replacing the Soviet social/political system with.

    The British lost the North American colonies due to not having a clear structure of governance. It counted as clear in a 17th century sense but by the 18th it was hopelessly behind the times especially when it was trying to govern the most litigious bunch of rich, hard working, inventive and socially advanced people on Earth.
    Good one. You have to know what your objective is, or you won't achieve it. I believe there are some modern examples of this principle as well. Vietnam and Iraq spring to mind.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #139
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,226

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Nor does it look like a palace, more like a tank.

    Just what is the point of all this? I'm picturing you in your pajamas, black or not it doesn't matter, trying to back up a point which was just an aside, not really pertinent to the central issue being discussed, and in which you were clearly wrong. Let's get back to the subject at hand.
    The point is, guerilla tactics failed in Vietnam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #140
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Single most important factor in determining the outcome of a war.

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglestar View Post
    So discussing with a friend of mine, the argument came up:

    According to him:
    - The single most important factor in deciding the outcome of a war is understanding the people and culture of the opponent.

    According to me:
    - The single most important factor in deciding the outcome of a war is wealth to fund it.

    So, there will be occasions in history were one or the other mattered the most, but overall I still think money makes the final decision.


    My examples were Rome, England, the US. His focused on Indian kings (asia) and the soviet union.

    Tell me your thoughts and examples.
    The single most important factor in deciding the outcome of a war is... the testicular fortitude to just do it and finish it.

    The others mentioned are factors, but without the guts to just do it they aren't enough.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •