View Poll Results: Do the veiws of ISIS represent the veiws of all Islam.

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    11 18.03%
  • No

    46 75.41%
  • Unsure

    2 3.28%
  • Other

    2 3.28%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 109

Thread: Do the actions of ISIS and al Qaeda represent the veiws of all Muslims?[w:23]

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Do the actions of ISIS and al Qaeda represent the veiws of all Muslims?[w:23]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Interesting. You seem to be under the impression that the Arab Spring - which was a contained urban event - can be extrapolated to some sort of pan-Islamic movement to deal with terrorism. However, the reality is that the Arab Spring had its own set of constraints which didn't really have much to do with Islam or for that matter religion.


    Secondly, the people it did spread to did not join it based on an idea of solidarity with people of other countries against oppressive regimes, but the belief that they needed to address the situations in their own countries. It was a societal event restricted to mostly urban people in a small group of countries which shared similar regimes and situations. However, even in the supposed magnitude you claim it had, it failed to even register in countries like Pakistan (158 million) or Singapore (249 million), India (177 million), Bangladesh (144 million) where over 60% of all Muslims live. Hell, I could go down the list of Muslim countries and you'd find that the "Arab Spring" really had nothing to do with the Muslim world and even in countries with equally oppressive regimes, it failed to pick up any steam.

    With all of that said, you really seem to not be able to understand that this is a world where there a hundreds of millions of people. Most of whom are concerned with personal situations like earning money, buying food, taking their kids to school etc. If the majority of Christians don't take time out of their day to tell us that they oppose things we all find abhorrent, what makes you think that the average moderate Muslim would?

    So with this all said, even if your idea on what Muslims can do held any water, it would be restricted to situations in their countries and would have nothing to do with the West or for that matter international terrorism. Remember, Muslim countries deal with terrorism in their own territories. Asking them to address it like they did the Arab Spring would literally mean that most of the Muslim world would have nothing to do with addressing terrorism, and whomever did, would deal with it on his own land.
    No I understand it fully and completely.....just like there were 4 times that amount of Christians at the time who were Illiterate. Also that they didn't have TV or a radio. Didn't know what was going on with the Leaders of their Religion. Until whoever showed up and brought the Word. Just like how the word is Spread thru the Muslim Clerics.

    Yes they joined in after their Clerics spread the word. Masses of them who didn't know anything at all. That's what I just pointed out with their Leaders of the Sunni Doctrine. Doesn't matter even if they understood fully what was going on. But they did Riot as told to do.

    The Egyptian Sunni Cleric sent out word thru Social Media. The next day.....Pakistan, Indonesia, and several Countries(23 All Muslim Majority) all Rioted US Embassies and US Assets at the time. You can look it up. There was no mistaking what the Egyptian Sunni Cleric did. Which is why some wanted him to be taken into Custody. But as you recall, that wouldn't happen with Morsi of the MB.

    Also if being honest.....it still would fall to all those Muslims that are experiencing first hand the Heretics killing their own Clerics and people for not adhering to their Version of the Sharia law. All those countries that war and conflict is taking place. As well as all the Countries where the Refugees are.

    I doubt you can say there are many(Muslims) who do not know what is taking place with Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Libya, Algeria, Qatar, UAE, Kuwait, Yemen, Bahrain, Morocco, Afghanistan and or Pakistan. That are in the region and countries where it all is ongoing daily events

    Which again doesn't count Shia and Sunni Clerics who spread the teachings.

    I doubt any can say I do not understand or know much about the whole entire issue. But then I understand just like the Christians and Hindus, that they had to be the ones to stop their Religions from being taken over by heretics. That they had to get out and condemn and take back their religion. Which can you say the Christians did not go to war or that the Hindus didn't, to remove the abomination? Did it take physical confrontation and killing? Did it take educating and teaching?

    So it took action. Despite all those concerned about their daily lives and what wasn't around them for the time being.
    Last edited by MMC; 01-22-15 at 03:30 AM.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: Do the actions of ISIS and al Qaeda represent the veiws of all Muslims?[w:23]

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    No I understand it fully and completely.....just like there were 4 times that amount of Christians at the time who were Illiterate. Also that they didn't have TV or a radio. Didn't know what was going on with the Leaders of their Religion. Until whoever showed up and brought the Word. Just like how the word is Spread thru the Muslim Clerics.

    Yes they joined in after their Clerics spread the word. Masses of them who didn't know anything at all. That's what I just pointed out with their Leaders of the Sunni Doctrine. Doesn't matter even if they understood fully what was going on. But they did Riot as told to do.

    The Egyptian Sunni Cleric sent out word thru Social Media. The next day.....Pakistan, Indonesia, and several Countries(23 All Muslim Majority) all Rioted US Embassies and US Assets at the time. You can look it up. There was no mistaking what the Egyptian Sunni Cleric did. Which is why some wanted him to be taken into Custody. But as you recall, that wouldn't happen with Morsi of the MB.

    Also if being honest.....it still would fall to all those Muslims that are experiencing first hand the Heretics killing their own Clerics and people for not adhering to their Version of the Sharia law. All those countries that war and conflict is taking place. As well as all the Countries where the Refugees are.

    I doubt you can say there are many(Muslims) who do not know what is taking place with Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Libya, Algeria, Qatar, UAE, Kuwait, Yemen, Bahrain, Morocco, Afghanistan and or Pakistan.

    Which again doesn't count Shia and Sunni Clerics who spread the teachings.

    I doubt any can say I do not understand or know much about the whole entire issue. But then I understand just like the Christians and Hindus, that they had to be the ones to stop their Religions from being taken over by heretics. That they had to get out and condemn and take back their religion. Which can you say the Christians did not go to war or that the Hindus didn't, to remove the abomination? Did it take physical confrontation and killing? Did it take educating and teaching?

    So it took action. Despite all those concerned about their daily lives and what wasn't around them for the time being.
    You keep discussing an urban movement and you ignore the fact that the majority of Muslims simply don't live in urban settings, or for that matter stand on a position where an informed political decision is something they'd even care to divulge. With that said, the majority of Muslims didn't partake in the Arab Spring because it was A) Arab in nature and B) had little to do with Islam. You keep ignoring the basic notion that even if some Muslims know what goes on in other countries, they're under absolutely no duty to do anything about it. Again, you brought up the Arab Spring which didn't exist outside of Arab countries and outside of urban centers. If Muslims are such a cohesive group of people and your suggestion is possible, why didn't the Arab Spring become the Muslim Spring? The answer is obvious.

    As far as to this quote: I understand just like the Christians and Hindus, that they had to be the ones to stop their Religions from being taken over by heretics.

    There is no reason to engage in hyperbole. Islam isn't being taken over by "heretics". There is a literal majority of the Muslim world that isn't at war and couldn't care less what is going on in some Muslim countries in the Middle East because their countries are doing fine. Again, this general disconnect is verified by the fact that the Arab Spring failed to become the Muslim Spring. This cohesive body that you feel Muslims constitute, doesn't exist. It never has. People address issues in their own countries and given their circumstances. So with that said, why would a Muslim in Indonesia care about what is going on in Iraq? Why would a Muslim in Egypt care about what goes on in France? Did Christians in the US help stop extremists from passing laws making homosexuality punishable by death in Uganda? Are Christians in Germany fighting off Kony's extremism? Nope. People address issues on their own land. Expecting them to do something about what is happening in other countries, to make some people feel better is absurd if not entirely unlikely. There isn't a single group that has done that in the history of religion.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 01-22-15 at 03:51 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #33
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: Do the actions of ISIS and al Qaeda represent the veiws of all Muslims?[w:23]

    Here is a simple question: What should the average rural person in Egypt do about international terrorism?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Do the actions of ISIS and al Qaeda represent the veiws of all Muslims?[w:23]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You keep discussing an urban movement and you ignore the fact that the majority of Muslims simply don't live in urban settings, or for that matter stand on a position where an informed political decision is something they'd even care to divulge. With that said, the majority of Muslims didn't partake in the Arab Spring because it was A) Arab in nature and B) had little to do with Islam. You keep ignoring the basic notion that even if some Muslims know what goes on in other countries, they're under absolutely no duty to do anything about it. Again, you brought up the Arab Spring which failed outside of Arab countries.

    As far as to this quote: I understand just like the Christians and Hindus, that they had to be the ones to stop their Religions from being taken over by heretics.

    There is no reason to engage in hyperbole. Islam isn't being taken over by "heretics". There is a literal majority of the Muslim world that isn't at war and couldn't care less what is going on in some Muslim countries in the Middle East because their countries are doing fine. Again, this general disconnect is verified by the fact that the Arab Spring failed to become the Muslim Spring. This cohesive body that you feel Muslims constitute, doesn't exist. It never has. People address issues in their own countries and given their circumstances. So with that said, why would a Muslim in Indonesia care about what is going on in Iraq? Why would a Muslim in Egypt care about what goes on in France? Did Christians in the US help stop extremists from passing laws making homosexuality punishable by death in Uganda? Are Christians in Germany fighting off Kony's extremism? Nope. People address issues on their own land. Expecting them to do something about what is happening in other countries, to make some people feel better is absurd if not entirely unlikely. There isn't a single group that has done that in the history of religion.
    Urban movement you use to classify something that took place with Muslims that you explain out are illiterate. Doesn't change the fact of what I stated. Nor does that even work with those all throughout Indonesia. Nor does it change the fact that all those Christians didn't know what was going on with their religion at the time when it was happening. Nor the Hindus.

    It isn't hyperbole.....the fact is in the ME. your concept doesn't play out. Moreover.....The Leader of the Saud and his Ascension. Was directly challenged by Baghdadi.

    Moreover you still can't seem to identify with what is also Tribal with their Religion.

    Have to head out to work....be back in a few hrs. Depending on the roads out in Indiana.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: Do the actions of ISIS and al Qaeda represent the veiws of all Muslims?[w:23]

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Urban movement you use to classify something that took place with Muslims that you explain out are illiterate
    An urban movement which had little to do with Muslims but was actually embraced by Christians and atheists on the same land. Again, it was the Arab Spring. Not the Muslim spring. There is a reason it was named that way. It was because many of the people who supported it in those countries weren't necessarily Muslims even if Muslims made up a large percentage of the populations in these countries. There is also the fact that these uprisings weren't Muslim in origin, but Arabic. Again, the Arab Spring wasn't even a religious situation and in most countries, it varied in response. For example, whereas some countries descended into warfare the minute their springs started, others like Egypt have remained relatively calm and with little violence in comparison to Libya and Syria. Why is this? Why didn't the entire Muslim world in the Middle East give one united response? Well, the answer is that there was never an multinational effort in the Arab Spring. These were regional events constrained by their specific regions as well as specific factors that didn't speak to the rest of the Muslim world anymore than terrorism would.

    . Doesn't change the fact of what I stated. Nor does that even work with those all throughout Indonesia. Nor does it change the fact that all those Christians didn't know what was going on with their religion at the time when it was happening. Nor the Hindus.

    It isn't hyperbole.....the fact is in the ME. your concept doesn't play out. Moreover.....The Leader of the Saud and his Ascension. Was directly challenged by Baghdadi.

    Moreover you still can't seem to identify with what is also Tribal with their Religion.

    Have to head out to work....be back in a few hrs. Depending on the roads out in Indiana.
    Throwing out more red herrings doesn't change the fact that Islam really isn't being taken over by "heretics". As I've already stated: the majority of Muslims live in countries which couldn't be further away from ISIL and had nothing to do with the Arab Spring. More importantly, they simply don't live in a purely political world where foreign affairs are more important than putting food on the table. Whether some cleric in ISIL (which is a multinational organization) challenged a regime or not doesn't change that. How Muslims deal with these issues is no different than how the average American deals with terrorism. They simply don't have it in mind anymore than they do the issues in Iraq, France or wherever. They go on about their day and if they hear a bomb exploded 2500 miles away or even 300 miles away in Cairo, they say some version of "oh wow" and then move along with their day.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #36
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,970

    Re: Do the actions of ISIS and al Qaeda represent the veiws of all Muslims?[w:23]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Here is a simple question: What should the average rural person in Egypt do about international terrorism?
    Join Pegida.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: Do the actions of ISIS and al Qaeda represent the veiws of all Muslims?[w:23]

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Join Pegida.
    Oh... you're smart.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #38
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Do the actions of ISIS and al Qaeda represent the veiws of all Muslims?[w:23]

    Some ISIS views are represented in Islam, some are open to interpretation.

    The followers or Islam are Muslims. Some Muslims believe that ISIS' views represents them, some do not.

    Religion is a rogue political party. One cannot make broad generalized statements such as these and point out the radicals members in a party.
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Do the actions of ISIS and al Qaeda represent the veiws of all Muslims?[w:23]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    An urban movement which had little to do with Muslims but was actually embraced by Christians and atheists on the same land. Again, it was the Arab Spring. Not the Muslim spring. There is a reason it was named that way. It was because many of the people who supported it in those countries weren't necessarily Muslims even if Muslims made up a large percentage of the populations in these countries. There is also the fact that these uprisings weren't Muslim in origin, but Arabic. Again, the Arab Spring wasn't even a religious situation and in most countries, it varied in response. For example, whereas some countries descended into warfare the minute their springs started, others like Egypt have remained relatively calm and with little violence in comparison to Libya and Syria. Why is this? Why didn't the entire Muslim world in the Middle East give one united response? Well, the answer is that there was never an multinational effort in the Arab Spring. These were regional events constrained by their specific regions as well as specific factors that didn't speak to the rest of the Muslim world anymore than terrorism would.



    Throwing out more red herrings doesn't change the fact that Islam really isn't being taken over by "heretics". As I've already stated: the majority of Muslims live in countries which couldn't be further away from ISIL and had nothing to do with the Arab Spring. More importantly, they simply don't live in a purely political world where foreign affairs are more important than putting food on the table. Whether some cleric in ISIL (which is a multinational organization) challenged a regime or not doesn't change that. How Muslims deal with these issues is no different than how the average American deals with terrorism. They simply don't have it in mind anymore than they do the issues in Iraq, France or wherever. They go on about their day and if they hear a bomb exploded 2500 miles away or even 300 miles away in Cairo, they say some version of "oh wow" and then move along with their day.

    The Arab Spring
    .....the Arab Movement. Its a false idea from the get go.....as once again you don't have a clue as to how the message is spread, from those Clerics.

    Lets see you put up those numbers with the ME and Africa together and see what amount of Muslims make up the Demographic.

    Knock the BS off with the red herring crap. You were wrong on the Heretics gaining ground, wrong on they are not subjugating others, wrong about them not destroying others Culture and Religions. As it is real simple to use one incident from the Hebdo issue. To point out about all those illiterates that you were harping about. Yet have no ties to any Terrorists or Islamic Radicals, yet go and burn down Christian Churches and kill Christians. All due to hearing about what took place in France. Days afterwards.

    Seems Sisi and Egyptian Muslim disagrees with you as well. Which is why he gave a speech in front of the Same School that BO peep showed up to give his wasted speech. To Tell those Sunni Clerics to get up off their dead asses and start preaching what Islam is about. To take back their Religion. To Speak out to the youth. To not allow those like ISIS, AQ Ansar Al Sharia, to gain control and dictate the course of Islam.

    Take it back from who? Who was he talking about? You don't want to play with terminology and say Terrorists do you. Face the facts.....Islamic Attacks have increased throughout the entire planet. You want to play with terminology and call them radicals. That which they would call heretics too.

    Also millions of Christians never participated in taking out the Radicals/Heretics in their religion too. Despite the reality that was in their face. 2/3rds didn't even know what was going on with the Leadership for their own religion. Same as the Hindus. So it will be the same for the Muslims. Except they don't have the excuses of those from more ancient times or time from the far past.

  10. #40
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Do the actions of ISIS and al Qaeda represent the veiws of all Muslims?[w:23]

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Do the actions of ISIS and al Qaeda represent the veiws of all Muslims?
    No more than the actions of pedophile priests represent the views of Catholics, the actions of Warren Jeffs represent the views of Mormon, the actions of the phelps clan represent the views of Baptists, and so on.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •