View Poll Results: Should we reduce or get rid of temp agencies?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, get rid of.

    44 27.16%
  • Yes, reduce.

    37 22.84%
  • No.

    42 25.93%
  • No, they are helping.

    39 24.07%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 136

Thread: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?[W:131]

  1. #21
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...-economy/?_r=0

    Over the last three years, the temp industry added more jobs in the United States than any other, according to the American Staffing Association, the trade group representing temp recruitment agencies, outsourcing specialists and the like
    Do you think we should get rid of or reduce the temp agencies? Do they seem to be part of the problem or solution?
    Not only no, but hell no. Temp agencies have been around since the 1940s I believe. The Kelly Girls.

    Temp agencies bring a gigantic value to employers. They work on short term projects. You can get some serious specialized talent from them. The list goes on. The current jobs situation has nothing to do with Temp Agencies. And Temp Agencies don't exist to keep jobs down.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  2. #22
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by 11Bravo View Post
    100% hit the nail on the head.


    We've had these two temps, GREAT guys, and they are being told "we should have an answer for you shortly". They've been told that a million times. They don't get our wonderful benefits and PTO. A shame.
    Are they being forced to stay? If they don't like the situation, they should find something else to do.

    We use temps and most would not take a permanent position if offered. They are paid more per hour than equivalent permanent employees and any of them could leave us today and be working for someone else tomorrow.

    What business does the government have interfering with this kind of relationship?

    .

  3. #23
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Exactly the same for me. I don't trust them. They are easy to exploit. And it seems like many companies AND the government using them. Cheating the system. Plus how can you claim you are giving more jobs when they are crappy temp jobs that are not long term?

    I think we should aim to create real jobs and reduce employment agencies.
    Crappy temp jobs? I don't think you know what temp agencies do. You can get attorneys, accountants, engineers, software developers, project managers, etc. through temp agencies. They aren't "crappy" jobs at all.

    By the way, the fee passed on to the employer by the temp agencies varies from anywhere between 25% of the hourly rate to 150% of the hourly rate for more specialized skills. It isn't cheap to engage an agency for a temp by any means. And jobs are not created in order for a company to go out and pay a temp agency for labor. Jobs are created because of a demand, and a temp agency is sometimes the best way to get the labor and accomplish the task.

    What system is being cheated?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  4. #24
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    I think many companies exploit them. For instance, there are about 4 temp workers in my department that have been here over 2 years now with no idea if they will ever be hired permanently. They don't have to give them benefits like sick time or healthcare. So while they do serve a purpose sometimes that gets taken advantage of so I am a little on the fence here.
    Your employer has 4 people in your department that they've been paying a temp agency for for over 2 years? I never heard of such a thing. Your employer is screwing itself because the fee they've been paying for those employees after 6 months becomes more costly than it would be to bring the employees on the payroll.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-26-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,697

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    Are they being forced to stay? If they don't like the situation, they should find something else to do.

    We use temps and most would not take a permanent position if offered. They are paid more per hour than equivalent permanent employees and any of them could leave us today and be working for someone else tomorrow.

    What business does the government have interfering with this kind of relationship?

    .
    I don't like your argument for one reason. But I'll answer:

    No they are not being forced to stay. However, they are temping in a job that they REALLY enjoy, and they are being told they are going to be brought on "soon". However, it appears that budgeting is a problem and it keeps getting pushed back more and more. So they think that soon they will get this job, but it seems like it may be a long time.

    I'm not saying that government "interfering" in this situation is appropriate, but it's just a crappy situation for them. They love what they're doing, but they're getting paid 2 times less than what their colleagues are making that actually work here, they don't get our PTO, and especially our benefits...yet they do our work.

    Can you understand that?

  6. #26
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    If they are working "full time", ie 40 + hours a week kinda thing, then the temp agency is required to supply some benefits, as they are employees of the temp agency. Also, there is nothing wrong with going back to the temp agency and asking them to find you a different job. If they have done well enough that they have been kept around for 2 years, that suggests they are decent employees and would represent the agency well in another job. Temp agencies love and will work with good people since they get repeat business when they send good people out.
    My company uses a very large agency whose employees (that are engaged to us) get benefits and paid time off. They're happy.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #27
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by 11Bravo View Post
    I don't like your argument for one reason. But I'll answer:

    No they are not being forced to stay. However, they are temping in a job that they REALLY enjoy, and they are being told they are going to be brought on "soon". However, it appears that budgeting is a problem and it keeps getting pushed back more and more. So they think that soon they will get this job, but it seems like it may be a long time.

    I'm not saying that government "interfering" in this situation is appropriate, but it's just a crappy situation for them. They love what they're doing, but they're getting paid 2 times less than what their colleagues are making that actually work here, they don't get our PTO, and especially our benefits...yet they do our work.

    Can you understand that?
    Are these people who are there because they work for a temporary agency, or are they working for your employer directly?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-26-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,697

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Are these people who are there because they work for a temporary agency, or are they working for your employer directly?
    They work for the temp agency, but they report to us directly and do the same work we do. So they get their own temp pay rather than ours.

  9. #29
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,435

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Your employer has 4 people in your department that they've been paying a temp agency for for over 2 years? I never heard of such a thing. Your employer is screwing itself because the fee they've been paying for those employees after 6 months becomes more costly than it would be to bring the employees on the payroll.
    Yes, and there are more from the same temp agency in other departments as well that also came on around the same time. I have no idea why they are keeping them on as temps, since they are great workers and there is definitely the need to have them on permanently.
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  10. #30
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Temp jobs were enormously helpful to me when I was trying to work my way out of abject poverty. They allowed me to very, VERY quickly find work and even though most of the work didn't pay very well, it made it possible to get lots of work and develop the experience that would eventually put me into a career path that took me to a six figure income. Needless to say, I've got no problem with temp agencies and I'm glad they were around when I needed them to get regular work.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •