View Poll Results: Should we reduce or get rid of temp agencies?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, get rid of.

    44 27.16%
  • Yes, reduce.

    37 22.84%
  • No.

    42 25.93%
  • No, they are helping.

    39 24.07%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 136

Thread: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?[W:131]

  1. #11
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,050
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    I know they never did me any good. I always had a better experience just applying directly with a company. However, in theory I suppose they have a function.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  2. #12
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    08-08-17 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...-economy/?_r=0

    Over the last three years, the temp industry added more jobs in the United States than any other, according to the American Staffing Association, the trade group representing temp recruitment agencies, outsourcing specialists and the like
    Do you think we should get rid of or reduce the temp agencies? Do they seem to be part of the problem or solution?
    The problem with the argument is a bad assumption that a reduction in temp agencies will in itself change how employers view temporary, or "assignment," based staff. There is also a balance to consider assuming we could do anything about temp agencies.

    Look at it this way. 50-60 years ago it was unheard of to go throughout your career working for more than 2-3 employers over the entire worker's employment lifetime. Now the average retention rate suggests one will switch jobs and/or employers every 4 to 4.5 years. That could end up meaning that one would work for a dozen or more employers over their lifetime these days as a normal practice. Using a 3rd party to facilitate that attitude does not equate to direct cause.

    How people view mobility within a single organization vs. outside going between organizations has drastically changed. If the idea that temp agencies drove this had more merit then we could look at them with more culpability in direct cause. But it does not add up. I suspect that we have a bigger picture item to consider here, for lack of a better term is loyalty. That is a two way street. Meaning the economics suggest we cannot pin the cause on just a middle man capitalizing on how that relationship exists these days vs. some other point in history.

    The other big change over the same period is the more direct impact of international labor competition. Like may other things, that is a bell that cannot be unrung. That forever changed how larger businesses view the labor costs of certain services and production/manufacturing needs.
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  3. #13
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,777

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    almost every job i have ever had before and after obtaining my degrees have been through temp agencies.

    Certainly my best jobs and long term jobs have all been though them . . . .

    in my personal experience i see no reason at all to get rid of them but like i said thats just based on me
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #14
    Sage
    countryboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17,705

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Shouldn't the thread title read, "Should we take even more liberty away from American businesses"?

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-26-17 @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,697

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    I think many companies exploit them. For instance, there are about 4 temp workers in my department that have been here over 2 years now with no idea if they will ever be hired permanently. They don't have to give them benefits like sick time or healthcare. So while they do serve a purpose sometimes that gets taken advantage of so I am a little on the fence here.
    100% hit the nail on the head.


    We've had these two temps, GREAT guys, and they are being told "we should have an answer for you shortly". They've been told that a million times. They don't get our wonderful benefits and PTO. A shame.

  6. #16
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...-economy/?_r=0



    Do you think we should get rid of or reduce the temp agencies? Do they seem to be part of the problem or solution?
    That would far exceed what even an avowed far left liberal like myself sees as a proper role for government.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #17
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    I think many companies exploit them. For instance, there are about 4 temp workers in my department that have been here over 2 years now with no idea if they will ever be hired permanently. They don't have to give them benefits like sick time or healthcare. So while they do serve a purpose sometimes that gets taken advantage of so I am a little on the fence here.
    If they are working "full time", ie 40 + hours a week kinda thing, then the temp agency is required to supply some benefits, as they are employees of the temp agency. Also, there is nothing wrong with going back to the temp agency and asking them to find you a different job. If they have done well enough that they have been kept around for 2 years, that suggests they are decent employees and would represent the agency well in another job. Temp agencies love and will work with good people since they get repeat business when they send good people out.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #18
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    I think many companies exploit them. For instance, there are about 4 temp workers in my department that have been here over 2 years now with no idea if they will ever be hired permanently. They don't have to give them benefits like sick time or healthcare. So while they do serve a purpose sometimes that gets taken advantage of so I am a little on the fence here.
    That's the thing. They DO serve a legit purpose, and as such should not be eliminated, but they have also evolved to the concept being abused by many companies who rely on them precisely so they can cheap it out.

    Side note: If I were one of those 4 employees I'd be actively looking for a better and permanent job. I hope they are.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #19
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    There are still people for whom temp agencies serve a legit purpose. They might have limited time and just want something to do and/or make a little spare cash without the commitment of a permanent job. I also don't have an issue with a company "test driving" an employee.

    Having said that, after a period of time, say 6 months in most situations, the company should scheit or get off the pot. Hire them permanently or send them back.

    I'd be open to bringing temp agencies back to their legit purposes, but I would not favor eliminating them entirely. Draconian measures like that bring to mind phrases like, "Throw the baby out with the bath water."
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #20
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,976

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Over the last three years, the temp industry added more jobs in the United States than any other, according to the American Staffing Association, the trade group representing temp recruitment agencies, outsourcing specialists and the like/QUOTE]

    Do you think we should get rid of or reduce the temp agencies? Do they seem to be part of the problem or solution?
    Temp agencies are like beer: they're the cause of and the solution to all of life's problems. Sure, they serve the need of filling a temporary job with a ready and able worker, but it's also given companies a way of avoiding risky hiring contracts and benefits.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •