View Poll Results: Should we reduce or get rid of temp agencies?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, get rid of.

    44 27.16%
  • Yes, reduce.

    37 22.84%
  • No.

    42 25.93%
  • No, they are helping.

    39 24.07%
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Results 131 to 136 of 136

Thread: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?[W:131]

  1. #131
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,947

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Moderator's Warning:
    Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?[W:131]Please stop the back and forth sniping, as well as the personal comments and baiting.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  2. #132
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,386

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mavis View Post
    You did what? Worked 40 hours a week like millions of other temp employees do? Got hired from a temp position to a permanent one like millions of other temp employess have? Or got hired away from a temp agency to a permanent position with a police department that ended up getting shut down for some reason? Is that supposed to be the fault of the temp agency? Never heard of a police department that closed, did they close the community that was being policed too?
    :eyeroll:

    1) My temp job involved the police.

    2) just because you haven't heard of a department getting closed doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It was a piece of **** department filled with corrupt assholes, who got busted for their corruption, and the completely unnecessary department that existed only to write speeding tickets (literally wrote as many tickets as the 7 other departments in the same county).
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  3. #133
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    :eyeroll:

    1) My temp job involved the police.

    2) just because you haven't heard of a department getting closed doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It was a piece of **** department filled with corrupt assholes, who got busted for their corruption, and the completely unnecessary department that existed only to write speeding tickets (literally wrote as many tickets as the 7 other departments in the same county).
    They closed the county sheriff's dept here and said that the neighboring county's dept would be called.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #134
    User avatar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:55 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    133

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    I think many companies exploit them. For instance, there are about 4 temp workers in my department that have been here over 2 years now with no idea if they will ever be hired permanently. They don't have to give them benefits like sick time or healthcare. So while they do serve a purpose sometimes that gets taken advantage of so I am a little on the fence here.
    I don't know what state you're in but here after 12 months the temp agency is considered their employer as far as benefits go.

  5. #135
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...-economy/?_r=0



    Why in God's name would anyone want to get rid of an economically efficient solution? That would be silly and bad for the people that cannot otherwise find work. The problems are certainly not in making work flexible.
    Because those jobs would largely still be available, except the pay would go to the worker, rather than a large cut to the agency...

    They're just a middle man, like the mafia. There's no need for them at all when applications and job searching for unskilled work can be done entirely online

  6. #136
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,751

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    I think many companies exploit them. For instance, there are about 4 temp workers in my department that have been here over 2 years now with no idea if they will ever be hired permanently. They don't have to give them benefits like sick time or healthcare. So while they do serve a purpose sometimes that gets taken advantage of so I am a little on the fence here.
    I currently work for a "temp agency", contracted by a company that is in turn contracted by another company, which is in turn contracted by the state I live in to provide services.

    I put temp agency in quotes because I've been doing this or very similar for the same company in the same place for at least 7 years now.
    Now, it is generally accepted wisdom by people who work for this temp agency that they are getting screwed over by said temp agency.
    No or very few benefits, low pay for the job being done, etc.
    Frankly I occasionally wonder why I don't get a different job...too comfortable here, probably...

    It is in part due to my experiences with this temp agency (they call themselves a "staffing agency", but it's basically the same thing) that I have a negative opinion of nearly all such agencies.

    Perhaps the companies I work for are the issue...
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •