View Poll Results: Should we reduce or get rid of temp agencies?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, get rid of.

    44 27.16%
  • Yes, reduce.

    37 22.84%
  • No.

    42 25.93%
  • No, they are helping.

    39 24.07%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 136

Thread: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?[W:131]

  1. #111
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,731

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by 11Bravo View Post
    100% hit the nail on the head.


    We've had these two temps, GREAT guys, and they are being told "we should have an answer for you shortly". They've been told that a million times. They don't get our wonderful benefits and PTO. A shame.
    Benefits are often available thru those agencies. They have to offer a health plan now, even if it stinks but even most employer plans stink now. Of course if the temp job is less than 3 months then I dont think they are eligible. But if stay with the agency longer, on another job, it can carry over.

    I'm a contract vendor these days, and the high tech agencies are competitive and have to offer benefits and perks, training, etc to keep the better talent.

    In at 'at will' work state, if you are only working retail or a service job for minimum wage (or close to it) then you will almost definitely be kept below 40 hrs or 32 hrs so they dont have to give you full benefits anyway. And there's no security either. People come and go constantly.

    I think temp agencies are a good way to get your foot in the door and make the most of an opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #112
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,731

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    It's costing your employer a fortune to maintain temps through an agency. No clue why they'd do that.
    They weigh that against the benefits they'd be required to pay an employee. Benefits tend to be huge expenses.

    It's a crapshoot right now tho because the health insurance industry/costs are in freefall. Who knows how it will all settle out? THat may change the cost/benefit of contractors/temp workers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #113
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,731

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mavis View Post
    What I find concerning is that we are seeing far too much of the work force being forced into working for temp agencies Helix. It is a symptom of where things stand with our economy and not a good one in my opinion! I know some temp agency horror stories and then I know some great temp agency stories too. What you described is more the company you were temping for screwing you over than the temp agency! I've told many people over the years, if you are temping as a stepping stone to a permanent position someplace for more than a year and half and they are not making serious moves towards hiring you (calling you into HR, doing interviews, etc)? Then you need to move on to some other company if that is what you are using the temp agency job for.
    I have been an employee and a contractor for the same companies. Salaried. And as a contractor, I get the work done (well) but do not put in the ridiculous hours that the full time employees do. I'm done, I go home and they dont have the leverage of 'reviews' or anything else besides pride in my work. (Actually I mostly work from home currently...)

    In high tech, it's often the employees that are slaves. Well-paid with benefits, but still slaves. And the contractors do get some benefits sometimes just as good, thru their agencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #114
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,731

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    [QUOTE=jamesrage;1064218664]
    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...-economy/?_r=0



    I think there should be laws in place defining what is temporary worker,ensuring that after a certain number of days temp workers are paid the same in benefits and wages as the regular workers in order to ensuring that companies are not hiring temp workers in order to get around paying the same wages and benefits and laws in place to ensure that companies are not merely using temp workers to get around certain federal or state laws.
    They are doing that for that very reason in some cases. WHy is it wrong? Companies do it now to regular employees....they keep them just under the minimum required hours for full benefits, usually 40 or 32.

    Many temp agencies do provide benefits. If you dont like the benefits or pay, take another job.

    Businesses are in business to make a profit. (Seems obvious, I know)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Last Seen
    01-24-15 @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    115

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    They weigh that against the benefits they'd be required to pay an employee. Benefits tend to be huge expenses.

    It's a crapshoot right now tho because the health insurance industry/costs are in freefall. Who knows how it will all settle out? THat may change the cost/benefit of contractors/temp workers.
    You are right twice here. Obamacare has really put the entire future of temp agency business into an uncertain limbo for now. It will probably be a while before that changes. Which is why I brought up the fact that laws from state to state have had a huge impact on shaping what temp agencies have to offer their employes (pay and benefit wise) as well as what companies utilizing temp employes have to. This was apparently not comprehensible or understandable to tres borrachos for reasons unknown but which might be starting to become clear to me. Aside from that I was supposedly lying about something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I have been an employee and a contractor for the same companies. Salaried. And as a contractor, I get the work done (well) but do not put in the ridiculous hours that the full time employees do. I'm done, I go home and they dont have the leverage of 'reviews' or anything else besides pride in my work. (Actually I mostly work from home currently...)

    In high tech, it's often the employees that are slaves. Well-paid with benefits, but still slaves. And the contractors do get some benefits sometimes just as good, thru their agencies.
    You are preaching to the choir sister! I mentioned earlier that I've seen both good and bad use of temp agencies in my time in the work force. I also thought about mentioning that "believe it or not" some people actually choose to and enjoy working for temp agencies. So I see you know what I mean. The trend towards the use of temp agencies in the IT industry started a long time ago, I first encountered it in the late 1990s. I have to say it is one of those areas that has a lot of negative connotations (from the temp employee POV) in my experience. I've seen a lot of temps chewed up and used, but not by the temp agencies they work for. By the companies that are in my opinion exploiting the temps they dangle "permanent" positions in front of but never deliver to. Shameful and unethical. This is not true all the time, but I have seen it happen. Personally speaking my experiences working for and using temp agencies has been overwhelmingly positive. But I can't deny that I am aware of some overwhelmingly negative situations too. So I'm still very concerned with the trends I have seen over the last decade or so.

  6. #116
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mavis View Post
    Look honey I have not posted lies or admitting to anything. Please take that by the numbers internet BS and throw it at some children. It won't get you anywhere with me because it is just so stupid and lazy. I clarified and addressed all of this in post #42 and #54. I normally find your post intelligent and well thought through. So in post #52 I addressed first the OP and shared what I voted. Then I pointed out that that companies do use temp agencies to vet prospective employees for permanent hire. Pointing out that certain business realities from state to state inform these practices. And I asked you if this was not the case in your area. For reasons I still don't get, you became immediately defensive. You avoided my question and said you could not understand my comments. So I clarified them in #54. I made myself clear and gave you specifics and exactly what I meant and asked you the same question, again. You then avoided everything I had said to you, twice, and offered this obtuse comment: I never made any argument about laws being followed and never mentioned states.

    So for whatever reason instead of the normally thoughtful posts I have seen from you in the past and even placed some likes on, now you can't even follow or address what I have said to you. Even when I patiently explain it to you. Instead you dodge my questions and avoid every point I have made. Instead you post accusations about "lies" and "admissions" you say I have made but that don't actually exist. For whatever reason you are coming across as something more hysterical than thoughtful today and yes at this point I give up. Again. For whatever reason you got real defensive real fast and it has not served you well.
    Your post is way too long winded, and you're too new for me to care to read it, and you posted untruths about my posts which I already pointed out to you. The correct response should have been "I'm sorry, you didn't ever post anything about state laws and weren't attempting to use state laws in your posts, even though I claimed you did."

    Have a lovely day.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  7. #117
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    They weigh that against the benefits they'd be required to pay an employee. Benefits tend to be huge expenses.

    It's a crapshoot right now tho because the health insurance industry/costs are in freefall. Who knows how it will all settle out? THat may change the cost/benefit of contractors/temp workers.
    Yup, not having to pay benefits on workers can also be a cost savings.

    There's no standard reason why employers engage temp workers. I've posted why we use them (projects with a definitive end and a need for specific skills). Cost savings is another reason. And yup, with the uncertainty in the healthcare insurance situation, who knows what will happen.

    I just can't see how the OP can justify even thinking of getting rid of them.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #118
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Exactly the same for me. I don't trust them. They are easy to exploit. And it seems like many companies AND the government using them. Cheating the system. Plus how can you claim you are giving more jobs when they are crappy temp jobs that are not long term?

    I think we should aim to create real jobs and reduce employment agencies.
    Not all are crappy and some temp jobs pay more than those people who are permanent workers for the company. Traveling nurses are a form of temp jobs yet these nurses get paid more (most places) than the regular employees. True they don't get other benefits, but in some cases they get different benefits, such as housing or money for housing and moving expenses, along with the higher pay.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #119
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Last Seen
    01-24-15 @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    115

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Your post is way too long winded, and you're too new for me to care to read it, and you posted untruths about my posts which I already pointed out to you. The correct response should have been "I'm sorry, you didn't ever post anything about state laws and weren't attempting to use state laws in your posts, even though I claimed you did."

    Have a lovely day.
    Was this fear of too many words (seems antithetical to hanging out on a on a debate/message board) the real reason you immediately refused to read or think and became ultra defensive? Or was it the fact that my last post magnified the simplicity of my first two post, that you could not "get" the meaning of and still can't? That must be why you have decided you better depart for higher moral if somewhat illiterate ground. Well you have a nice day too, I'll try to draw pictures for you next time and hope that can cut through the fog better. Obviously too many words in a row presents a genuine challenge to you. Oh hell, who am I kidding, this is probably too many words in a row too.

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should we get rid of or reduce Temp Agencies?

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...-economy/?_r=0

    Over the last three years, the temp industry added more jobs in the United States than any other, according to the American Staffing Association, the trade group representing temp recruitment agencies, outsourcing specialists and the like
    Do you think we should get rid of or reduce the temp agencies? Do they seem to be part of the problem or solution?
    It's a perfect solution for a company that hates getting raped by the government. It's a perfect solution for an individual that can't get a job because companies hate getting raped by the government. Temp agencies are a band aid approach to excessive government regulation.

    Eliminate unemployment insurance. Give companies the right to fire people without consequences. Why do we got to play all of these dishonest games? If you hire somebody to paint your house and he does a lousy job should you be legally obligated to let him finish painting your house? The same principle applies for business owners. Why are companies obligated to provide for the well being of their employees? I thought slavery was outlawed in the 1860's yet we still demand to be treated like slaves. It makes no sense. Nobody is my master. I am a free agent to seek employment wherever I wish without reprecussions. My employer is a free agent as well yet companies are given additional restrictions on their ability to seek out their best interests in regards to employment needs. There are other ways to improve economic equality without putting cruel restrictions on the innovators and movers of this world.

    I like temp agencies a lot. They help out businesses a lot. They help out individuals who have trouble finding employment. I don't see the downside. However when the economy improves companies will be able to afford the government regulations and won't need to rely on temp agencies. When companies have the final tally on the impact of the Affordable Care Act then these temp agencies won't be needed as much. The Affordable Care Act was the temp agency industry's best friend.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •